Breast Cancer Breakthrough - Herald Sun today

Technical information including statistics, diagnostic, genetics and research.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Urthgirl
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Breast Cancer Breakthrough - Herald Sun today

Postby Urthgirl » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:24 pm

oh my DH likes his steak still mooing. He reckons leaving the blood in it makes it tastier, grosses me out :pmsl:

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:17 pm

Nothing like meat with your veges or salad, preferably not crawling. :pmsl:
Janette

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:11 pm

My DH grew broccoli one year, there were so many green crawlies, beautifully camouflaged that I couldnt eat it even after a wash

Urthgirl
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Urthgirl » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:16 pm

:pmsl: at the bugs Sandra.

DH made me a salad yesterday with lettuce from the garden and as I was praising him in how yummy his homemade dressing was I looked in the salad bowl only to see some tiny bugs swimming around in the dressing. Ewwwwwwwwww you have to wash the lettuce first darling I screamed......hence it is a trade off yes hehe

LuvMyLab
Superstar
Superstar

Postby LuvMyLab » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:10 pm

My juicer is very old but still works well. It's a Robinhood Cyclone Juicer.

Crystalady
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Crystalady » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Yes, I agree and there is such a difference in the taste.

My mums partner was a farmer and has taken over her back yard so we do get some things from there. You just can't compare the taste with the stuff we buy from a supermarket. Even my kids can tell the difference when they come over. The only difference is that sometimes you do have to sort out the ones with the bugs. That's the trade off.
First diagnosed in Dec 1998. Thyroid cancer 2006. Thought I was free and clear after 10 years but no, mets in spine in Dec 2008. Femara stopped working October 2010.Was on Aromasin and zometa. Now taking Xeloda and Zometa.Xeloda not working Dec 2011. Tamoxifen started. Feb 2012 Now on Abraxane.

Urthgirl
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Urthgirl » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:10 pm

What brand juicer do you have ladies? I bought a breville juice fountain just over a year ago and now the blades are blunt as, not juicing very well anymore :( I use it fairly regulary I have to say, maybe I need one of those commercial super ones.
Also Sandra about the difference between organic and non- organic your almost right, not quite though. They have proven that while some fruit and vege have no apparant health differences , simply washing the produce is enough and perfectly safe to use no matter whether it be organic or non-organic i.e bananas, oranges, pineapples, blueberries, mangoes, broccoli, tomatoes avocadoes etc.
However some fruit and vege it is more important to look for organic because there is differences in organic and organic. Mainly being the spraying of pesticides and fungicides are in higher concentrations due to certain diseases and pests that fruit or vege are more suseceptable too i.e apples, pears, netarines, cherries, grapes or in particular root vegetables because they grow in highly mono cultured contaminated grounds that never rest enough time for the residues to break down in the soil, i.e potatoes, turnips, onions etc. Unfortunately you cant just wash the skins of these particular fruits and vege and be rid of all the contaminants.
Ive made friends with a dear old lady (a 90 year old infact) just recently up the road from me and she loves growing all her own produce , she has been kind enough to trade some of her vegies with me for our lemons and apples (which we grow) bless her heart......and we were only talking about how controversial the big debate on organic vs non-organic has become because apparantly some show on commercial tv was making claims that there was no difference at all....... as I left she said just remember "what kills the bugs kills the man" and it got me thinking, such a wise soul. :D

Crystalady
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Crystalady » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:41 pm

If you're into it, a good way of using the leftover pulp( I do put a little back into the juice for fibre) is to have a worm farm. Good compost for the garden. However I'm not up to that these days and most of my garden is hedges.
First diagnosed in Dec 1998. Thyroid cancer 2006. Thought I was free and clear after 10 years but no, mets in spine in Dec 2008. Femara stopped working October 2010.Was on Aromasin and zometa. Now taking Xeloda and Zometa.Xeloda not working Dec 2011. Tamoxifen started. Feb 2012 Now on Abraxane.

LuvMyLab
Superstar
Superstar

Postby LuvMyLab » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:16 pm

I've been using my juicer every morning since dx. I do worry though that a lot of the fruit is going to waste but it's a good way to get all the fruit and veggies into your system each day.

Crystalady
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Crystalady » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 pm

I think the best thing I've done is buy a juicer. I think that washing the produce, juicing and drinking at the same time is the best vitamin pill. I always doubt that you can possibly get the same nutrients when you buy something already juiced. How old is it? How long has it been affected by light which is supposed to reduce the potency of the vitamins.

And there is no juice better than fresh.

:hugs: Sandra

Urthgirl
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Urthgirl » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Hey Sandra,

Your not in the slightest bit ignorant, quite the opposite infact, you sound like a very proactive person to me.

How can we really know what we are eating unless we grow it all ourselves and know that none of our neighbours are spraying any insecticides too.
I think you also hit the nail on the head there. We dont always know what we are eating thats the frustrating thing Im finding aswell. Since my diagnosis I have devoted myself to nutrition and eating habits and the more and more I find out the more it scares me. Sometimes I feel its all too much trying to find the right foods and racking up the km's driving to the other part of town to get this organic product and so forth. My husband has just recently helped me put in a small vegie garden and a fruit orchard but I still have to wait to that becomes productive so for now I just try the best i can. I know in some towns and cities now you can join co-operative groups where the is a local vegie garden and everyone pitches in a little time here and there and you can reap the benefits of fresh organically grown produce and you get to see how it is produced etc. Im thinking of joining one.

I dont think eating a healthy diet is an alternative therapy though. Its just a simple basic way of life, but the most important and is often overlooked because of the modern conveniences and lack of time society moulds for us. I honestly believe in the term "you are what you eat" unfortunately popping a vitamin pill is not going to give you all of the vital nutrients and essential acids that eating the fresh fruit and vegetable supports. I cant tell you how much it frustrates me that doctors dont support and tell us this and I feel that alot of the time there thinking of a "quick fix,a bandaid to hide a ailment rather than help cure the actual cause. I erks me when I then go to the city organic fruit market on a weekend and who do I see stocking up on fresh organic produce, yep you guessed it the doctor...gee a bit of inside info would have been nice doc.

A healthy diet is not going to cure you from cancer, it is a slow process changing the body chemistry and ridding itself of accumulative toxins so it is ideal for optimum health. But it is going to do just that eventually , change your internal chemistry so it supports optimum health for your organs and body to function the way it was born to do. The problem is it takes TIME something alot of us with cancer cherish so much and dont have when fighting this agressive insidous disease, the right information on what foods are right and of course willpower.

I agree with you wholeheartedly though its hard to balance it all , I personally find it a real challenge and Im continually finding conflicting information which I think we will always come up against , I mean who really knows what is right for us? Is it just a matter of personal opinion? and what organisations out there are paid big $$$$$ to tell us we should be eating this? ....I think at the end of the day it is ourselves that are the best judge on how our health is and what works for us and what doesnt, Im just trying to listen to my body more for example I include something in my diet for a couple of weeks and if I find its not benefiting me in some way I get rid of it and try something else etc.

I have to love that not only is this forum full of a strong, warm and caring bunch of ladies. I also love that it full of intelligent, proactive and forward thinking ladies that are always questioning and researching information in regards to their health. Knowledge is power.........

Crystalady
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Crystalady » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:55 am

Pardon my ignorance, but how do we interpret this into helping us with our diets.

How can we really know what we are eating unless we grow it all ourselves and know that none of our neighbours are spraying any insecticides too.

I have taken the best quality vitamins prescribed by doctors who are supposed to know and I still got this disease again. I don't drink, don't smoke, eat reasonably healthy and I think I've inherited the worst genes. I don't eat enough organic now because I saw a program that showed that a lot of that produce wasn't as healthy as it should be. I am still looking around for better suppliers that aren't horrendously expensive.

Don't get me wrong. I totally believe in alternative therapies but find it so difficult to balance it all out.

:grouphug: Sandra

Urthgirl
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Urthgirl » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 am

Dietary factors, including folate metabolism
There are vast amounts of evidence that nutrition obtained from dietary components has a major influence on individual health status, and there are at least two pathways with which nutrient intake can affect methylation, as reviewed in [39], and more recently [40]. The first of these simply states that the supply of nutrients affects the supply of methyl groups required for methylation. Numerous dietary components are known to influence DNA methylation status, and folate, choline and vitamin B12 feature highly in the literature. Various forms of folate are converted into intermediates that are ultimately converted to S-adenosyl-methionine, the chemical substrate with which the methyltransferase enzymes obtain methyl groups for attachment to the DNA [41]. The precise role of folate and the effects of its absence are complex (for a review see reference [42]), and its importance is due to its function as a precursor methyl-donor. Vitamin B12 is a co-factor for many enzymatic processes leading to the methylation of DNA. Rats fed a diet deficient in B12, but not severe enough to cause illness, were observed to have hypomethylated genomic DNA in colon tissue in comparison to appropriate controls, illustrating that a vitamin deficient diet can restrict DNA methylation.

The second mechanism in which diet can influence methylation relies on the effects of trace dietary components interfering with methyltransferase processes. A selenium deficiency has been shown to cause DNA hypomethylation in rat colon DNA, while prolonged cadmium exposure also initiates hypomethylation followed by hypermethylation, suggesting that a feedback mechanism is involved [43]. In the same study, it was suggested that cadmium inhibited the methyltransferases via an interaction with the DNA binding domain rather than the catalytic domain. Nickel [44] and alcohol [45] have also been observed to affect DNMT activity, although the precise mechanism of this is not understood.

Food for thought............... :gappygrin:

Urthgirl
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Urthgirl » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:50 am

The risk factor involves a modification (DNA methylation) to the BRCA1 gene. BRCA1 is known for its involvement in breast and ovarian cancer. Women with mutations in this gene, which inactivates its function, are predisposed to these diseases.

The DNA methylation modification is known as an epimutation and acts to turn off the BRCA1 gene from its normal protective function against breast cancer. It is not considered a genetic mutation as it does not directly affect the sequence of the gene like a mutation but nevertheless inactivates the normal protective function of the gene.

The study involved women diagnosed with breast cancer before the age of 40 years for whom BRCA1 mutations had not been identified. The epimutation was found in the blood of some women with breast cancer, especially those who develop the same type of breast cancer that develops in women with a BRCA1 mutation. However, unlike mutations in the BRCA1 gene, these epimutations appear not to be inherited and the relatives of women with epimutations are not at increased risk of breast or ovarian cancer.

Professor Melissa Southey from the University of Melbourne Department of Pathology, co-leader of the Australian Breast Cancer Family Study and a senior author on the paper said factors that triggered epimutations that stopped the gene BRCA1 from doing its usual job of preventing breast cancer might cause the same proportion of early-onset breast cancers (10%) as do inherited faults in this gene.

"For about 3-4% of young women, their BRCA1 gene has been made less capable of preventing breast cancers by some unknown factors. This places them at a 3.5-fold increased risk of breast cancer. This discovery of this modification in BRCA1 gene provides impetus for further work in this area," she said.

Associate Professor Alexander Dobrovic from the Pathology Department of the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and the lead investigator on this collaborative study said that the discovery of this epimutation in the peripheral blood indicated that it was present in many tissues of the body.

"This is highly significant for the understanding of mechanisms of breast cancer development as it could drive the development of breast cancer in the same way as a mutation. Many questions remain unanswered, in particular what triggers this epimutation and whether women carrying this risk factor can reduce their risk by dietary or pharmacological intervention."

Testing for this risk factor will be unavailable until answers to these and other questions are known.

The research team comprises Dr. Ee Ming Wong, Professor Stephen Fox and Associate Professor Alexander Dobrovic of the Department of Pathology of the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre; Associate Professor Melissa Southey of the Department of Pathology, The University of Melbourne: Professor John Hopper and Dr. James Dowty of the Centre for Molecular, Environmental, Genetic and Analytical Epidemiology, The University of Melbourne; Professor Melissa Brown, School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences, The University of Queensland, and Professor Graham Giles and Associate Professor Mark Jenkins of the Cancer Epidemiology Centre of The Cancer Council of Victoria.

The research has been funded by the United States Department of Defense and National Institutes of Health, the Cancer Council of Victoria, the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia, Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Breast Cancer Foundation of Australia.

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Breast Cancer Breakthrough - Herald Sun today

Postby yowyow » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:36 am

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion-old ... 5953147761

Breast cancer breakthrough

THIS week a team at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, the University of Melbourne and the University of Queensland announced a major breakthrough in identifying the risk of breast cancer.

The group, led by Assoc Prof Alexander Dobrovic from the pathology department of the Peter MacCallum, reported the discovery of a novel modification to the BRCA1 gene.

When it behaves, this gene actually protects women from breast cancer.

When it mutates, it can cause familial breast and ovarian cancer.

This newly identified modification - called an epimutation - stops the gene protecting women from breast cancer.

It is known that mutation of the BRCA1 gene is hereditary, passed on in the genes. But this latest research may answer why some young women, with no family history, develop breast cancer.

Prof John Hopper, head of the Australian Breast Cancer Family Study, said the epimutation tripled the risk of developing breast cancer.

Scary stuff, because now researchers must find out what triggers the epimutation and whether women can reduce their risk by things such as dietary intervention.
Nav
every day without laughter is a wasted day !!!!

Return to “Science & Research”