EBCC: Longer Breastfeeding Linked to Aggressive Tumors

Technical information including statistics, diagnostic, genetics and research.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
neptune
Guru
Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EBCC: Longer Breastfeeding Linked to Aggressive Tumors

Postby neptune » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Wowi thought it was the opposite!! I am still feeding my 13 month old but will not be stopping just by one research article! I'm sure there's studies that disagree anyway :)

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Mon May 24, 2010 5:54 pm

I *wonder* whether this study just noticed the statistical correlation because younger women are often diagnosed with more aggressive cancers...and often suffer a delay in diagnosis because they have been lactating and the breast changes weren't observed. I'm a case in point. Had a HUGE tumour...first noticed bump in pg, was assured after US that all was well...breast fed for 16 months, first I realised something was wrong was after I weaned & my boob shrunk but the lump did not. Lucky for me I'm a statistical abberation and it was aggressive but not yet invasive. They didn't really mention about age in the study did they?
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Mon May 24, 2010 4:58 pm

You really can't win can you?! THe horse has bolted for all of us anyhow.
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:29 pm

I loved the bit "Other studies have suggested that breastfeeding lowers breast cancer risk,"

Reminds me of two recent studies released on the same day. One said that taking multi vitamin pills INCREASED the risk of breast cancer. The other said that taking multi vitamin pills LOWERED the risk of breast cancer. Did anyone else see that one?

There was a Dr specalising in breast cancer interviewed on the radio about it. He said eating a balanced diet yada yada yada was the best thing to do.

In other words noone knows as usual...grrrrr!

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Jollyjac
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Jollyjac » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:00 pm

Yep I breastfed my babies for about 14 months!
Dx feb 09, aged 40 triple pos, multifocal 2.1cm, 1.5 cm IDC 2+ nodes
AC x4 Taxol x12 Herceptin Arimidex 1 yr - ceased due to osteoporosis
Zometa x 4, No hormone therapy

Old Ruby
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Old Ruby » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm stuffed then......I breast fed each for years!!!! :v_happy:
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh sh%#t....she's awake!'

Crystalady
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Crystalady » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 am

I breastfed for 10 mths and 18 mths and thought I was doing the best thing for both of us.
First diagnosed in Dec 1998. Thyroid cancer 2006. Thought I was free and clear after 10 years but no, mets in spine in Dec 2008. Femara stopped working October 2010.Was on Aromasin and zometa. Now taking Xeloda and Zometa.Xeloda not working Dec 2011. Tamoxifen started. Feb 2012 Now on Abraxane.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:08 pm

I breast fed 8 months for one and 11 months the 2nd Hmmmm?

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:02 pm

hmmm, I breastfed for 11 months.
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

Janette
Forum Legend

EBCC: Longer Breastfeeding Linked to Aggressive Tumors

Postby Janette » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:03 pm

The study reviewed here found that women who breastfed for more than 6 months and later developed breast cancer were more likely to have an aggressive form of breast cancer. But it's important to know that the risk of developing breast cancer wasn't affected by how long a woman breastfed. These results were presented at the 2010 European Breast Cancer Conference.

Other studies have suggested that breastfeeding lowers breast cancer risk, but this link hasn't been found consistently in all studies. The study reviewed here looked at two different questions:

Can the length of time a woman breastfeeds affect her risk of developing breast cancer?
Can the length of time a woman breastfeeds affect the aggressiveness of breast cancer if it does develop?
The researchers looked at the health histories of more than 14,000 women over 10 years. The women were split into groups depending on how long they had breastfed.

During the study, 424 women developed breast cancer. Each cancer was classified based on features that can make a cancer more aggressive, including cancer grade and Ki-67 values. Grade 3 cancers tend to be more aggressive than grade 1 or grade 2 cancers. Ki-67 is a marker associated with cancers that grow and spread more aggressively.

The results:
There was no link between how long a woman breastfed and the risk of developing breast cancer.
Women diagnosed with breast cancer who breastfed the longest time (more than 6 months) were about twice as likely as women diagnosed with breast cancer who breastfed the shortest time (less than 2 months) to develop breast cancer classified as aggressive (grade 3 and/or high levels of Ki-67).
The researchers don't know why there seems to be an association between breastfeeding for longer time periods and the likelihood of more aggressive breast cancer if disease develops.

The results DON'T mean that breast feeding for longer time periods is risky. Much more research needs to be done to confirm that this suggested association exists and if it's directly related to breastfeeding or to some other unknown but related factor. Results like these help doctors design future studies to pinpoint the causes of breast cancer.

http://www.breastcancer.org/risk/new_re ... 100328.jsp
Janette

Return to “Science & Research”