Survival Gain Seen With Prophylactic Breast Removal

Technical information including statistics, diagnostic, genetics and research.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Survival Gain Seen With Prophylactic Breast Removal

Postby Marydean » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:22 am

I'm always shocked to hear about the trouble some women have in accessing prophylactic mastectomies. I "only" had DCIS but my surgeon would absolutely have respected my wishes if I'd asked to have the other one off too. Sometimes the medical system needs to place a little more faith in what we feel is right for us.
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

KakaCathFreeSpirit
Your Maj
Your Maj

Re: Survival Gain Seen With Prophylactic Breast Removal

Postby KakaCathFreeSpirit » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi ya jazza and all, this topic was close to my heart, quite literally !!! I can remember when, with in a few hours of recovery from my left mastectomy, soon received the news that during my frozen section sentinel node resection, that I had not only but also 5 node positive, it was then I can recall thinking,'' right the other one is going also'' ! From there I set out on a mission to do so, and then with minimal time possible and hard work convincing a panel of psychologist the reasons why, I finally found the one surgeon with-in the public system that would listen ! That was 8 mths ago today and have never regretted it or looked back since, I am aware that this is not the 100% guarantee of non recurrence, but 95% is close enough for me, and anyway the other one tried to kill me...
Life in progress age 44 misdiagnosed to diagnosed 2010, IDC 2cm x1 IDC 1cm x1 DCIS x lots !
ER-PR-HER2++ 5/24 node positive, stage 2/3, grade 2, mastectomy x2, right-prophylactic, chemo, rads, Herceptin, Neratinib clinical drug trial x1yr, Denosumab 4 osteoporosis

indigo
Guru
Guru

Postby indigo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:20 pm

This interesting, considering many younger women are not told it is possible to have a contraleteral prophylactc mastectomy. I know my sis ter would have done it if she knew it could have been done.

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Survival Gain Seen With Prophylactic Breast Removal

Postby jezza » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Survival Gain Seen with Prophylactic Breast Removal

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/s ... 100225.jsp

From breastcancer.org
This article was developed in collaboration with ABC News.
Primary source: Journal of the National Cancer Institute Source reference: Bedrosian I, et al "Population-based study of contralateral prophylactic mastectomy and survival outcomes of breast cancer patients" J Natl Cancer Inst 2010; DOI: 10.1093/jnci/djq018.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Return to “Science & Research”