Time frame from surgery to chemo

Guidelines for the treatment of breast cancer.
Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Janine » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:23 pm

GG, I think the last paragraph sums it up, keeping in mind that there are limitations in the study..
What are the implications of this study for clinical practice in Australia?
Overall, the results of this study are remarkably consistent with other large retrospective reviews suggesting that starting chemotherapy within 3 months of definitive surgery is adequate, but delays beyond 3 months compromise survival. This should be in keeping with standard practice in most Australian centres and provides a benchmark for the time to start adjuvant chemotherapy. Twelve weeks allows women a significant period of time in which to gather information, consider options and take an active role in decision making if desired. It is unlikely that large prospective randomised trials will be performed to answer this important question definitively and the impact of timing of adjuvant chemotherapy on high risk subgroups remains unclear and of ongoing concern.
Janine
1st dx ILC st 3, er+, pr+, her2-, T3, N1 1998. Bone mets 2004. Liver mets 2008. Leptomeningial mets 2009.

gallopinggranny
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

TIME FROM SURGERY TO CHEMO?

Postby gallopinggranny » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:16 pm

did i understand correctly after reading that very confusing info that the result is "they don't know" - i don't have a scientific mind at all and get so confused when dealing with numbers, so i apologise Nav if i haven't understood it all. thanks for posting info like this. :hi5:
Onward and Upward
GG.

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Janine » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Very interesting Nav. It's something we have discussed, so it's a good reference to have.

It's great that NBOCC has listed some of the limitations in this article. It really helps to put this kind of research into perspective. Another concern I would have, is that the 12-24 week range is quite wide, ie 12 weeks, compared with the other ranges that are only 4 weeks. I wonder if this might exaggerate the downturn in effectiveness in this range. If so, it could unnecessarily worry people who wait a little longer than 12 weeks for adjuvent chemo. I wonder what the result would be for 12-16 weeks?

:hugs:
Janine

1st dx ILC st 3, er+, pr+, her2-, T3, N1 1998. Bone mets 2004. Liver mets 2008. Leptomeningial mets 2009.

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Time frame from surgery to chemo

Postby yowyow » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:00 am

Nav
every day without laughter is a wasted day !!!!

dx May 06. IDC 1.5cm & DCIS 5cm - Triple Neg - grade 2, 2/15+ nodes
FEC x 6 - skin and nipple sparing bilat mast with silicon gel implants
NED

Return to “Clinical Practice Guidelines”