Searching for stories

Personal experiences with breast cancer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Busybird

Searching for stories

Postby Busybird » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi, everybody. My name is Blaise. I’m a 42-year-old mother living in Melbourne. Two years ago, my sister was diagnosed with an aggressive non-hormone receptive breast cancer; and I lost my grandmother to it in 1982. My work colleague, Les has a sister-in-law who had breast cancer twice (and cancer three times overall) over the last ten years. As a result, we’re interested in sharing stories to help others deal with it, whether they be patients or carers.

I run a small business called Busybird Publishing & Design, which is located in Eltham, Victoria. We’re putting together an anthology of peoples’ experiences with breast cancer, entitled ‘Journey’, and are looking for everyday stories from people. These could be about any facet of the experience: being diagnosed, telling a partner about a diagnosis, dealing with chemotherapy, diet, losing hair, etc. It can be about anything, or about the experience as a whole. What we really want are stories from people about how they cope, how they’re trying to keep moving forward, how they deal with everyday life.

‘Journey’ isn’t intended as a commercial venture, or some exploitative book trying to monopolise on your grief. The overall goal really is to help others. Illnesses have the power to isolate. Even people with large circles of family and friends can find themselves feeling alone. We hope that ‘Journey’ can become like a companion, a friend, a therapist – something to let people know that they’re not alone, to show them how others have dealt with their experience; as well as give family and friends of people with breast cancer an insight into what they’re going through.

We’re hoping to have ‘Journey’ ready for an October 2011 release, and are looking for submissions of either non-fiction or poetry.

We have a page on our website, which can be found at http://www.busybird.com.au/options/journey/ or you can email us at journey@busybird.com.au if you have any queries.

Thanks,

Blaise.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Personal stories”