Phase I/II trial of an extract from Grifola frondosa (Maitake mushroom) in bc patients

Information about complementary and alternative therapies.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Janine » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Good point GG. As an early phase trial, I guess they are still just looking at safety and tolerability. The details, like whether it works or has other side effects will come later.
:hugs:
Janine

gallopinggranny
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby gallopinggranny » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:51 pm

intersting Janine, i wonder if there is any evidence of phytoestrogens, given that it is a botanical compound? :roll:
Onward and Upward
GG.

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Phase I/II trial of an extract from Grifola frondosa (Maitake mushroom) in bc patients

Postby Janine » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:34 pm

(Please note small number of participants. - J)

J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2009 Mar 1. [Epub ahead of print]

A phase I/II trial of a polysaccharide extract from Grifola frondosa (Maitake mushroom) in breast cancer patients: immunological effects.

Deng G, Lin H, Seidman A, Fornier M, D'Andrea G, Wesa K, Yeung S, Cunningham-Rundles S, Vickers AJ, Cassileth B.
Integrative Medicine Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1429 First Avenue, New York, NY, 10021, USA, dengg@mskcc.org.

BACKGROUND: Cancer patients commonly use dietary supplements to "boost immune function". A polysaccharide extract from Grifola frondosa (Maitake extract) showed immunomodulatory effects in preclinical studies and therefore the potential for clinical use. Whether oral administration in human produces measurable immunologic effects, however, is unknown.

METHODS: In a phase I/II dose escalation trial, 34 postmenopausal breast cancer patients, free of disease after initial treatment, were enrolled sequentially in five cohorts. Maitake liquid extract was taken orally at 0.1, 0.5, 1.5, 3, or 5 mg/kg twice daily for 3 weeks. Peripheral blood was collected at days -7, 0 (prior to the first dosing), 7, 14, and 21 for ex vivo analyses. The primary endpoints were safety and tolerability.

RESULTS: No dose-limiting toxicity was encountered. Two patients withdrew prior to completion of the study due to grade I possibly related side effects: nausea and joint swelling in one patient; rash and pruritus in the second. There was a statistically significant association between Maitake and immunologic function (p < 0.0005). Increasing doses of Maitake increased some immunologic parameters and depressed others; the dose-response curves for many endpoints were non-monotonic with intermediate doses having either immune enhancing or immune suppressant effects compared with both high and low doses.

CONCLUSIONS: Oral administration of a polysaccharide extract from Maitake mushroom is associated with both immunologically stimulatory and inhibitory measurable effects in peripheral blood. Cancer patients should be made aware of the fact that botanical agents produce more complex effects than assumed, and may depress as well as enhance immune function.
Janine

Return to “CAMs”