Healthy Eating for Life - a handbook to download

Information about complementary and alternative therapies.
Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Healthy Eating for Life - a handbook to download

Postby Janine » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:41 am

The Cancer Project website has a handbook that you can download. It gives information about diet and cancer and some tips on turning vegetarian. There is some interesting information and some recipes to try and they are not trying to sell anything. Please make up your own mind about some of the advice given. There are one or two things I don't personally agree with in regard to processed food but diet is a personal thing and everyone will have different ideas.

The following is some of the blurb and the contents of the handbook from the site:

"The Cancer Project has two main goals: First, we aim to make cancer prevention a top priority. Just as important, we want to improve survival after cancer has been diagnosed by providing comprehensive information about the role of dietary factors in keeping people healthy. "

Healthy Eating for Life: Food Choices for Cancer Prevention and Survival

Are you ready to start enjoying the powerful benefits of a vegetarian diet?

Some dietary changes have a preventive effect for many types of cancer. Boosting your intake of vitamin-rich vegetables and fruits, for example, strengthens your immune system and helps knock out cancer cells. To help prevent cancer, it is also smart to avoid meats, dairy products, and fried foods. Choosing fiber-rich legumes, grains, vegetables, and fruits helps keep many types of cancer at bay. Plant foods also contain a wide variety of cancer-fighting substances called phytochemicals. These facts all point to choosing a vegetarian diet to help prevent cancer and improve cancer survival. Studies of vegetarians show that death rates from cancer are only about one-half to three-quarters of those of the general population.

Contents:
    Building Your Strength Against Cancer
    Defending Your DNA From Harm
    Foods and Immunity
    Foods and Hormones
    Breast Cancer: Prevention
    Fat and Hormonal Effects
    How Much Fat Is Too Much?
    Carcinogenic Compounds in Cooked Meat
    Other Factors
    Cancers of the Uterus and Ovary: Prevention
    Prostate Cancer: Prevention
    Colon Cancer: Prevention
    Vegetarian Foods: Powerful for Health
    Try the New Four Food Groups
    Setting Blame Aside
    Steps to Cancer Prevention
    Surviving Cancer
    Breast Cancer: Survival
    Cancers of the Uterus and Ovary: Survival
    Prostate Cancer: Survival
    Colon Cancer: Survival
    The Three-Step Way to Go Vegetarian
    Tips for Making the Switch to a Vegetarian Diet
    References
    Recipes

Perhaps you will find it helpful. I know I sometimes need a bit of encouragement to continue to eat healthy. Sometimes I just lose the will to cook!
Janine
1st dx ILC st 3, er+, pr+, her2-, T3, N1 1998. Bone mets 2004. Liver mets 2008. Leptomeningial mets 2009.

Return to “CAMs”