From the latest edition of "Healthy Living" (Cancer Care Centre, Unley)

Information about complementary and alternative therapies.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Old Ruby
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Old Ruby » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:55 am

Hi Erint

I was very interested to hear that you are on I3C. I have spoken to literally dozens of bc women and have only met 2 others who are taking it. The doc is taking blood tests etc at the end of next month and that should show if the I3C has been having any impact or not. I am having blood tests with the naturopath at the beginning of next month, so it will be interesting to compare the two. Will keep you informed Erin. Abi

Oh, and here is a very wordy, theoretical research study done in the late 1990s. The Firestone study is the one that most of the bc medical fraternity are watching with interest.

http://mend.endojournals.org/cgi/conten ... 20/12/3070
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh sh%#t....she's awake!'

erint
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby erint » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Old Ruby,
You seem a wise lady, I don't think you will make the decision without lot's of research and good that you are discussing it with your Drs. 9% sounds a lot to me. Lots of ladies do some no so nice treatments for as little as 2%. :hugs:
Janette

Old Ruby
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Old Ruby » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:36 pm

I thought I would bump this topic, since it is something I have been discussing with my surgeon and my doc. Both agree that Indole 3 Carbinol has value in treating oestrogen related BC - in rats! Both have stated that it is a huge leap of faith for women to decline other forms of treatment (such as tamoxifen) and therefore no studies have been able to be conducted that can conclusively state that I3C is as good as tamoxifen in treating bc. They said a verifiable study would need to include at least 5,000 women worldwide for a period of at least 5 years for any research regarding I3C to be validated. At this stage, less than 500 women worldwide have participated in any studies on I3C conducted in the last 13 years. I have been taking it for 13 weeks and told my doc and surgeon I have not yet started the tamoxifen. Neither was too concerned atm about this, and the surgeon did a computer print out of my diagnosis which predicts (roughly) the chances of a recurrence of bc for me. It seems if I dont take tamoxifen I have a 69% of no recurrence and still being alive in ten years, whereas if I take the tamoxifen it increases that chance to 78%. I am still not sure if 9% is a great enough percentage to justify the SE of tamoxifen. More than 80% of women I have spoken with who have taken tamoxifen have had awful SEs, but my aunt took it and had not one side effect at all. Both doc and surgeon said to do a little more research, and surgeon said she would also do a little more research herself and suggested perhaps I could use I3C and tamoxifen together as the I3C is suppose to lessen the SEs of tamox. Maybe I am being too precious about myself. Maybe.....?
Last edited by Old Ruby on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh sh%#t....she's awake!'

adelaidekat
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby adelaidekat » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:04 pm

Tks Janine, I should have put that there!
Katrina

Dx June 2007, er/pr +, her2 -, 6.5cm tumour left breast, left mastectomy, 4/8 + nodes, chemo 3 x FEC and 3 x Taxotere, Rads 33 (25 + 8 boosters finished Feb 08) & Tamoxifen commenced Jan 08.

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Janine » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 pm

:checkdoc:
Janine

adelaidekat
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

From the latest edition of "Healthy Living" (Cancer Care Centre, Unley)

Postby adelaidekat » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:54 am

The full magazine is at:

http://www.cancercare.asn.au/Cancer%20C ... iving.html

but this article is the one I thought may be of interest to some..

Nutriceutical Research: Breast Cancer
I3C (Indole-3-carbinol)
A recent study1 has found that the neutraceutical indole-3-carbinol (an extract of cruciferous vegetables) not only
increases the expression of genes involved in healthy oestrogen metabolism, but blocks the cancer promoting
effects of DDT or oestradiol (E2). The main purpose of the study was to examine the effect of low doses of I3C on
the expression of genes involved in oestrogen metabolism in oestrogen dependent breast cancer cells. In addition
the effect of I3C on oestradiol and DDT induced proliferation breast cancer cells was assessed. Findings were that
I3C greatly reduced the stimulatory effect of DDT and abolished the effect of E2. This study is very important as
virtually everybody in the Western world has DDT or metabolites of DDT in their body fat, despite its use being
banned in the West for 20 years.
1Ocepa-Zawal et al. The effect of indole-3-carbinol on the expression of CYP1A1, CYP1B1 and AhR genes and proliferation of MCF-7 cells. Acta
Biochim Pol. 2007 Feb 20
Women with breast cancer may benefit from a modest dose of Coenzyme Q10, Vitamin B2 and Vitamin B3. A
recent study examined patients treated with tamoxifen alone for more than one year with patients treated with
tamoxifen plus the vitamin combination. The CoQ10, B1 and B2 treated patients had a significant reduction in
tumour marker levels after 45 and 90 days as compared to the tamoxifen only group. According to the authors,
“The study suggests that supplementation of CoQ10, riboflavin and niacin along with tamoxifen to breast cancer
patients reduces the serum tumour marker levels of CEA and CA 15-3, thereby offering better cancer prognosis by
reducing the risk of developing cancer recurrence and metastasis”.
Premkumar VG et al. Effect of coenzyme Q10, riboflavin and niacin on serum CEA and CA 15-3 levels in breast cancer patients undergoing tamoxifen
therapy. Biol Pharm Bull, 20007 Feb; 30(2): 367-70
Katrina

Dx June 2007, er/pr +, her2 -, 6.5cm tumour left breast, left mastectomy, 4/8 + nodes, chemo 3 x FEC and 3 x Taxotere, Rads 33 (25 + 8 boosters finished Feb 08) & Tamoxifen commenced Jan 08.

Return to “CAMs”