Alternative treatments - checking them out

Information about complementary and alternative therapies.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gallopinggranny
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby gallopinggranny » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:33 pm

Molly it is certainly helping me at the moment :hi5:
Onward and Upward
GG.

Anne L
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Anne L » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Molly,
The only thing I can comment on is the acupuncture. My Oncologist was happy for me to use it if I wanted to, & as far as not being scientifically proven, it was the only alternative therapy that helped me with Endometreoasis. Very subtle treatment, but it worked for me.
Anne
DX 04/08 DCIS T2 ALND 0/11+ Mastectomy Arimidex

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:38 am

Molly as Janine points out, a lot of oncologists don't mind their patients trying acupuncture, etc.

you just need to make sure that you clear anything that you decide to take/or do with your onc. beforehand. there are a lot of complementary/alternatives out there that contraidict what the chemotherapy is trying to do.

I hope all goes well with your cousin.
Cheryl

sparkles3001

Postby sparkles3001 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:03 am

Molly,
I do agree in part - that some alternative therapies work - but absolutely believe that anything not scientifically proven to work should not be endorsed as a treatment option. I wrote a whole pile about whys and wherefores of how important an adequately proven scientific study is under the " killer chemo thread" (currently page 6 of general discussion section), but don't know how to quote it... Can anyone help with that one?

There is a very good reason for Quackwatch existing too, to educate and inform people who are abnormally vulnerable to snakeoil salesmen about where the truth lies. Consipracy nuts go on and on about "Pharma companies" wanting to make big bucks, but at the end of the day, if what they are saying is proven to be right according to the scientific principles for study of a particular drug/substance/therapy, then it is taken into mainstream science and used to benefit those who need it.

A great example of this is the use of space blankets to improve recovery rates for post-op patients, once upon a time frowned upon and discounted as a helpful measure until it was scientifically proven to save lives and speed recovery times.

Best of luck making informed and rational decisions everyone!!!
Last edited by sparkles3001 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Janine » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Molly, I too think Quackwatch is a little over the top and I don't agree with everything they say, but there is also some good information that can help to identify quackery.

Everyone is entitled to try whatever therapies they like but we must be very careful that we don't harm others by encouraging them to try unproven therapies. Instead, we need to encourage people to research very carefully for themselves, to be especially skeptical of 'miracle cure' websites and alternative products pushed by snake oil salesmen. We are all vulnerable. We all want so much for there to be a simple, easy alternative but we must be so careful because in many cases the research just hasn't been done.

I think many oncologists and other medical professionals are now quite happy for patients to use complementary therapies as long as there is no danger of harm or interaction with conventional treatment. The important thing is to let your onc know about any alternative or complementary therapy or supplements that you are using. And of course, choose an accredited practitioner.

:hugs:
Janine

molly
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Alternative treatments

Postby molly » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:15 pm

I've just been reading Quackwatch. From what I can see, they debunk anything that isn't "scientifically proved" including acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, reflexology and various other therapies. I don't agree with them. There are a LOT of things that DO work and are not scientifically proved, e.g. Chinese medicine, acupuncture and so on. Therefore, I don't see the harm in someone using alternative therapies as long as they can be proved to be safe. Even the Sloan-Kettering site says the Agaricus Blazei mushroom has had good results in trials, but because there hasn't been a large-scale trial (which are VERY expensive), they won't endorse it. There are a couple of "possible" side effects but nothing fatal. I certainly wouldn't try anything like laetrile, which has cyanide in it and CAN be fatal, but there are a lot of other therapies that are not harmful and may even help. A lot of the alternatives are said to help build up the immune system, which anyone undergoing multiple chemotherapy treatments would certainly need!

One must remember the Quackwatch site is run by by conventional doctors so it's in their interests to debunk anything that isn't "scientifically proved".

I'm not advocating alternative therapy INSTEAD of traditional therapy, but I also think there's a place for alternative therapies in conjunction with traditional ones.

On the other hand, my cousin has advanced esophageal cancer and decided to opt for alternative therapy completely as he didn't like the odds (5-40% chance of survival) with "traditional" therapy, e.g. chemo, radiotherapy and surgery. Personally I'm horrified at what he's doing as his regime consists of no salt, no animal proteins, FRESH fruit juices every hour and coffee enemas every 2 hours!! He takes supplements, but he's lost a horrifying amount of weight. However he believes it's helping him and he's still positive and is totally committed to this treatment. THIS sounds like quackery to me, but no-one can convince him otherwise. He's managed to survive on this regime for about 6 months but I don't think he'll last much longer - I hope I'm wrong.

Molly

Lark
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Alternative treatments - checking them out

Postby Lark » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:10 am

For anyone considering trying an alternative treatment for cancer (one that is not mainstream medicine and scientifically demonstrated to be safe and beneficial) the website Quackwatch has a very good section on their site called “A Special Message for Cancer Patients Seeking "Alternative" Treatments”. It will help you decide whether an alternative treatment you are considering is safe and might be beneficial in some way, or whether it might be unsafe and/or fraudulent. The direct link is www.quackwatch.org/00AboutQuackwatch/altseek.html or you can find the link on their home page at www.quackwatch.org.

The American Cancer Society website has a valuable section called "Complementary and Alternative Therapies". It's buried deep in their website and difficult to find. Try this direct link www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/ETO_5.asp?sitearea=ETO or else put the word alternative into the search window on the home page and look for a link to the section in the search results. If you're thinking of trying a specific alternative or complimentary treatment you've come across on the internet or elsewhere you may find information about it in this section.

Another website that discusses the subject of alternative treatments in some detail is the website of the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine at www.nccam.nih.gov.

Return to “CAMs”