Video from Stanford about cyberknife

Information about conventional breast cancer treatments - inc surgery, chemo, rads, hormonal, reconstruction, lymphedema, side effects
ash1995
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Video from Stanford about cyberknife

Postby ash1995 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Cyberknife now being used as breast cancer treatment. Its non invasive nature is very appealing.
CyberKnife® Robotic Radiosurgery System
Article discussing CyberKnife treatment for breast tumors:

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:09 am

Good luck with your projetcs. I am all for cyberknife and gamma knife as it works wonders on brain mets. I have signed your petition.
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

ash1995
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ash1995 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi
I have noted a few responses suggesting I am not genuine... I am a huge advocate of Cyberknife for Australia after losing my wife to cancer (well liver failure as a result of treatment side effects in Australia). We found out about it too late. But have been helping people get it in USA and Asia and Europe and generally funded by MTOP from Aus Gov't.
Started a group on facebook - bring Cyberknife to Australia (has nearly 4000 members now)
Petitioned numerous sources and West Aus govt has now agreed to get Cyberknife into new cancer centre at Sir Charles gardiner centre in 2012. But 1 machine for the entire population is barely enough. Oklahoma, where my wife had to go, is about the size of brisbane and has 3 hospitals offering Cyberknife as well as other treatments such as gamma knife)
The stanford hospital mentioned in the title of this forum has over a dozen state of the art treatment options suitable for various cancers. I can only talk of Gamma and Cyberknife as these are the only 2 I have seen being used.
I am now writing a book on our journey which started with my wifes breast cancer in her 30's. Patrick Swayze is in it as we met him and he had Cyberknife. Proceeds of the book sales are going to purchasing a cyberknife which I will donate to an australian hospital. A team of USA doctors have even heard of our story and have volunteered to come to Australia and train our staff in its use.

Support site for information, doctors, funding etc:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4 ... 285&ref=mf

My book site for more info:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 925&ref=ts

Heyzie
Guru
Guru

Postby Heyzie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:00 pm

Glad to find this topic. I've been trying to find out why the heck we aren't using this technology in this country when you consider that it is commonly used in the UK, US, Asia. Why are we being left out in the cold here? For what was plowed through the pokies and retail outlets over Xmas with the Government handouts, we could have had this technology in several hospitals.

From what I've read, it can reduce the size of tumours by 80%, compared to the approx 30% that I've read with what we are using now. Big difference if you can't have your tumours surgicially removed for some reason.

We do have a good level of care in this country...but it does appear to be too darn conservative at times. Why we have to go through Clincial Trails etc that have already been done mulitply times over in other countries to justify buying up to date treatments is ridiculous.

Be interesting to see what transpires in the next few years.

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:55 pm

you can bet it's money. makes me soooo mad when you hear about ministers spending up big refurbishing their offices when there are more important things to spend the money on that could and probably do, save lives.
Cheryl

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:23 pm

I thought money would have a lot to do with it. I'm not sure how many digital mammo machines we have here now but the BC Institute at Westmead was one of only 2 in the country a few years ago. Accessed by public patients thankfully.

I wonder if the funds to purchase that came from BCI fund raising.
Janette

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Janine » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:07 pm

Maybe money? When you google it, you get quite a few articles comparing cost/effectiveness. As it's only suitable in certain cases, maybe there is more value in spending money on things like MRI's or conventional radiotherapy machines. ???
I did come across one site (Hansard?) that listed the questions in Question Time a couple of years ago when someone asked why cyberknife is not approved here. The answer was that these things get approved when someone applies to bring one in - and noone had applied at that time.
Janine

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:45 am

I wonder if there is a good answer, probably not.
Cheryl

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Good question GG. :ouch:
Janette

gallopinggranny
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby gallopinggranny » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:56 pm

why is Australia so behind? are we too well regulated? Image
Onward and Upward
GG.

Belinda
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Belinda » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi - I am probably an over-cautious cynic, but cyber and gamma knife really are genuine treatments. The HER2 us site has quite a few survivors who have had brain tumours (this is I understand not an uncommon place for her2 mets) treated this way. I always assumed it was a very accurate form of radiotherapy - like a laser. Ash is right about how good it would be to get bettr access to these therapies here in Australia.

Bx
Belinda
Dx 3 Jan 2007, 4x3x3 cm IDC and 2 other tumours 1.5cm each, 6/19+ nodes, ER-, PR-, HER2+, 4 AC, 12 weekly Taxol + herceptin, 30ish rads, Herceptin finished May 08, currently watching a lung nodule.

jayem
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jayem » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:42 pm

GG, my cynical antenna was well and truly up and I am still not convinced that all he says is true. I sensed another barrow pusher but I am happy to be convinced otherwise.
Jan

Dx 20 Sept 2006, 2 cm IDC + DCIS, 1/16+ node, ER+, PR+, HER2-, 4 AC, 4 Taxol, 33 rads
CFEM Trial 5 years Arimidex, 5 year SOLE trial Femara
Dx Aug 2016 neuroendocrine cancer in pancreas, mets to liver, abdominal nodes, hip, skull, scalp and breast.

gallopinggranny
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby gallopinggranny » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:39 pm

I read about this from ash1995 this week. my cautious side told me that he was not a genuine poster, but i may have to eat my thoughts. :hi5:
Onward and Upward

GG.

cheryl
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby cheryl » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:20 pm

janine, read that Macquarie Uni got one mid last year.
Cheryl

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Janine » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:24 pm

Thanks for that Jan. Any more info?

Looks like McQuarie Uni Private Hospital has a Gamma Knife facility.
Janine

Return to “Treatments”