Generic A.I's

Information about conventional breast cancer treatments - inc surgery, chemo, rads, hormonal, reconstruction, lymphedema, side effects
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
zigzag
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Generic A.I's

Postby zigzag » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Wendy
I am taking Arimadex and tolerating it well. I take it in the morning after breakfast. I always like to have some food in my stomach before I take any type of medication.

I have been offered a generic by the pharmacist but the cost was the same and I am concerned with the fillers in the generics so happy to stick with the brand name - especially as my side effects are fairly minimal.

cheers
Deb
Dx June 2011, DCIS 6mm & 8mm, Lumpectomy, Sentinal Node Biopsy (3 nodes removed all clear) P+ E+, 30 x Rads, Arimadex x 5 yrs (lasted 2 years Onc was fine for me to go off it) Dx Dec 2013 Lymphoma! Gawd Wot Next!

winterlong
Superstar
Superstar

Postby winterlong » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:12 pm

I am re starting Anastrozole tomorrow.
I tried for a few weeks after Rads, but felt lousy.
When I saw my Rads Onc, she said I'd tried it too soon after treatment, and to give it another go, but take only 1/2 a tablet for awhile, and see how that goes.
She has other patients who that worked for, and her point was, some is better than nothing.

My chemist asked if I wanted generic, and I asked if it differed in any way from the Arimidex..ie fillers etc. he said it was Exactly the same.
Reading through on line forums about it, and best time of day etc, many seem to feel there IS a diff.
quite bewildering.

I think I'll just go ahead anyway, with the generic.

Would love to hear others experience if they've taken it, or Arimidex.

Cheers,
:heart:
winterlong (Wendy) :)

jayem
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jayem » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:28 am

I am every so slightly wary of generics as, although the active ingredients are the same as the branded medications, the agents used to bind may not be. It is sometimes these binding agents that cause reactions.

I also have a moral aversion to the generics in that the branded medications have gone through a rigorous testing process, funded by a specific company, and the companies that market the generics come in and take advantage of all that research.

Having said all that, if the generic medication is the only one available then I would want to take it, although that was an interesting point Gail about those on trials. For that reason also I will need to stay with the branded Femara.
Jan

Dx 20 Sept 2006, 2 cm IDC + DCIS, 1/16+ node, ER+, PR+, HER2-, 4 AC, 4 Taxol, 33 rads
CFEM Trial 5 years Arimidex, 5 year SOLE trial Femara
Dx Aug 2016 neuroendocrine cancer in pancreas, mets to liver, abdominal nodes, hip, skull, scalp and breast.

KarenC
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby KarenC » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Thanks Gail for that info on Femara
I would not take a generic if offered one when getting my script filled,
but it's handy to know that we may be able pay the same as the generic brand.
Invasive Ductual Carcinoma Bre grade 3, ER+/PR+ Her2+ Feb '10 Lumpectomy 20mm clear margins clear lymph nodes Chemo March '10 Taxotere Carboplatin Herceptin 5 weeks radiation Femara - 5 years

Gail
Forum Legend

Generic A.I's

Postby Gail » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:00 pm