Side Effects

Information about conventional breast cancer treatments - inc surgery, chemo, rads, hormonal, reconstruction, lymphedema, side effects
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BronNZ
Been there, done that
Been there, done that
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Side Effects

Postby BronNZ » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Chris,
No, I'm not sure - I know she had a full mastectomy and some lymph nodes removed - maybe it was in the nodes??
Bron
When life gives you a rainy day, play in the puddles!
[color=#000000]

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:03 pm

Bron, I repeated your story about your friend at work today and people wondered where the chemo traces were found as old cellsdiee off. The conjecture was old cells may linger in the liver? Do you know his/where traces were found?
Last edited by schoolteacher on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:07 pm

My housemates friend has had breast cancer and her sister also, who lives in Ireland. In Ireland she has wonderful care at the one place with a multi disiplinary team and the same people for 4 years now and they do all the treatments and follow up care program therem she has massage, phycologist, everyone looking after her. That would be so wonderful. I gather that is what the new wellness centre set up in Melbourne will be doing which will be wonderful.
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:15 am

Thanks very much for posting that article, Gail. I wish I knew what "rehabilitative exercise" would fix all my SEs!!!

Bron - 16 years - amazing!

Cath, I especially feel for you and all those ladies living with constant pain :hug:.
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

KakaCathFreeSpirit
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby KakaCathFreeSpirit » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:01 am

Thanks Gail for this thread, I have two weeks left before I complete my one year of the Clinical Drug Trial ( Neratinib HKI-272 ) and looking forwards to being drug related side-effects "free" for the first time in 2years, yippee, I will be eagerly awaiting for my neutrophils, lymphocytes and monocytes arising from the toxic "demilitarise-zone"... Can I also add to the list of, upper body limb, after side effects, being chronic nerve pain from nerve damage during my axillary clearance, I have had constant nerve pain since my opp in 2010, that is now medication managed with Gabapentin, which has been very debilitating and I am still no where close to being the fit body, as my former self prior to Diagnosis, warm regards, catherine.... :hugs:
Life in progress age 44 misdiagnosed to diagnosed 2010, IDC 2cm x1 IDC 1cm x1 DCIS x lots !
ER-PR-HER2++ 5/24 node positive, stage 2/3, grade 2, mastectomy x2, right-prophylactic, chemo, rads, Herceptin, Neratinib clinical drug trial x1yr, Denosumab 4 osteoporosis

BronNZ
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby BronNZ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Very timely - I was talking to a friend today who's just had a second mastectomy 16 years after her first one. She is waiting on the path results, but her doc commented that there were still traces of chemo showing up - 16 years later!! If the treatment/drugs can stay so long, no wonder we still have SEs!
Bron
When life gives you a rainy day, play in the puddles!
[color=#000000]

jayem
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jayem » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:46 pm

That's really interesting Gail, and I have to say I am not really surprised. In fact I suspect that the statistics are somewhat understated given that only 287 women were polled, particularly when you consider how many women are treated for breast cancer.

I wonder if further research will be conducted on the basis of this study?
Jan

Dx 20 Sept 2006, 2 cm IDC + DCIS, 1/16+ node, ER+, PR+, HER2-, 4 AC, 4 Taxol, 33 rads
CFEM Trial 5 years Arimidex, 5 year SOLE trial Femara
Dx Aug 2016 neuroendocrine cancer in pancreas, mets to liver, abdominal nodes, hip, skull, scalp and breast.

Gail
Forum Legend

Side Effects

Postby Gail » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Breast Cancer Treatment Side Effects May Last for Years
Study finds lingering pain, swelling, fatigue, mobility problems in many women
April 11, 2012 RSS Feed Print

WEDNESDAY, April 11 (HealthDay News) -- Treatment-related complications are common in breast cancer patients long after their therapy has been completed, a new study says.

Researchers looked at 287 Australian breast cancer patients and found that more than 60 percent of them had at least one treatment-related complication up to six years after their diagnosis, and 30 percent had at least two complications.

Complications included skin reactions to radiation therapy, weight gain, fatigue, surgery-related issues, upper body symptoms and physical limitations, and lymphedema -- a painful limb-swelling condition.

"Our work provides the first accounting of the true magnitude of the post-treatment problems suffered by breast cancer patients, and serves as a call to action for proper monitoring and rehabilitation services to care for them," study leader Kathryn Schmitz, associate professor of biostatistics and epidemiology at the University of Pennsylvania, said in a university news release.

"We can no longer pretend that the side effects of breast cancer treatment end after patients finish active treatment. The scope of these complications is shocking and upsetting, but a ready solution for many of them already exists in rehabilitative exercise," said Schmitz, who is a member of the university's Abramson Cancer Center and serves as a senior scientist on a committee overseeing creation of a surveillance model for breast cancer survivors.

The study was published online April 6 in a special issue of the journal Cancer that focuses on the physical late effects of breast cancer treatment and ways to prevent, monitor and treat these conditions.

There are 2.6 million breast cancer survivors in the United States, the authors noted in the news release.

Many factors can prevent proper monitoring of breast cancer survivors for the types of complications identified in the study, Schmitz and her colleagues said.

Patients may have fragmented care and receive different types of treatment at different hospitals; both patients and doctors may believe that certain complications are "expected" and "normal" and don't warrant treatment; and many breast cancer patients aren't aware of or referred to physical therapy professionals.

More information
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

Return to “Treatments”