Just a query about log in process

Important notices, instructions and information about this forum. Terms and Conditions, Code of Conduct and Privacy.

Please post any suggestions, questions or problems with this forum here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Just a query about log in process

Postby molly dooker » Mon May 16, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks MD, I will definitely remember that about using other computers. :)
Chris

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Mon May 16, 2011 1:10 am

Actually that answer is partly true. Places like Facebook and BCAus give you the option to have them remember your password - they do this with a little packet of information called a cookie. The cookie lives on your computer and FB or BCAus use that + what it knows about your IP address to identify your computer when you log in. Again, not recommended to follow this option on a public or unsecured computer system.
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Mon May 16, 2011 12:32 am

thanks MD. That actually clarifies it for me. I know when I log in to Facebook the options that appear are my email address and also my son's and daughter's, but they are the only ones. Thanks for that. I didn't think anyone else could, but didn't really know why.
Chris

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Mon May 16, 2011 12:30 am

Chrissie, your password appearing automatically is a feature done by the software on your own computer. You can turn it off in your browser (Internet Explorer) options. If someone else logged in from the same computer at your home and thought to type in Chrissie, then they could log in. However I can't type in your name from here and get your password.

If you use a public computer (at the Library, or an internet cafe) to log in, a window will appear asking you if you want to save your username or password. ALWAYS select NO when you're using a computer that other people can access. The chances of someone going to that site and putting in your password are pretty slim, but it's better not to risk it.
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Mon May 16, 2011 12:29 am

I ticked that HM, and logged in, but the next time that box wasn't ticked. Oh dear, I think I am confused, too late at night for me perhaps. So how do you mean each visit? Do you mean from the "enter the forum" page?
Sorry I didn't answer your question properly, no I haven't ever got that ticked.
Last edited by molly dooker on Mon May 16, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

hibiscusmum
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby hibiscusmum » Mon May 16, 2011 12:25 am

Chrissie have you got the 'log me in automatically' box ticked? That could be why it comes up.

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Just a query about log in process

Postby molly dooker » Mon May 16, 2011 12:18 am

Hello, just a query. I is probably a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway.

When I log in as "Chrissie", my hidden password appears automatically. Does this mean anyone signing in as "Chrissie" or any other name for that matter can automatically sign in as that person? And in that process can see private messages etc. Like I say probably a silly question, but would be interested to know. Thanks.
Chris

Return to “Notices and Information about this forum”