New here with some questions?

A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: New here with some questions?

Postby Janette » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:36 pm

The pathology results generally takes about a week. :hugs:
Janette

littlesis
Guru
Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby littlesis » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:28 pm

Thank you superstar.I did reply in the other thread too.Her oncologist said he & the pathologist have not seen a case like hers before.Not sure if that is a positive or negative thing.The lump is under 1cm & the pathology report said it was mainly benign but as you said they will know more once it is out.How long do the results take? I know she has to stay in hospital overnight.Thank you for taking the time to help out. :)

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Little sis - welcome to the forum :hug:

It's helpful to understand that a diagnosis usually unfolds fairly slowly, and the doctors are only ever making highly educated guesses right up until the lump comes out. I don't know specifically about fibroadenomas but I do know tumours often contain a mixed-bag of different types of cells, so an "inconclusive" biopsy result is a red flag for further investigation. There are also many different types of breast cancer, so the doctor might choose a different approach based on what type of cancer it is. The core biopsy is a very important and common procedure. I would think the risk of leaving your sister misdiagnosed as cancer-free when in fact there were other worrying clinical signs is much greater than any slight theoretical risks involved in the biopsy procedures.

The sentinal node procedure is commonly done at this stage by some hospitals - esp when they strongly suspect the cancer may already be invasive - because it may save your sister from having another operation at a later date. Also depending on where the lump is/what size it is, it may be better to do a sentinal now because the surgery might prevent the sentinal node from being clearly identified later, which could result in your sister have a lot more nodes removed than she needed to. She is fully entitled to ask her surgeon about why they think it is best to do the sentinal procedure at this point, and be satisfied with the answer before the surgery takes place.

It sounds to me like your sister's doctor is pretty on the ball, but if she has any concerns about that, she can ask for another opinion, either in the same centre or somewhere else, but it may delay her surgery. Even after the surgery, she can still ask for a second opinion. Sometimes just having another person explain it in different words can make a real difference. Don't be afraid to make contact with the Breast Care Nurse either, sometimes she can answer some of those questions for you too.
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

littlesis
Guru
Guru

New here with some questions?

Postby littlesis » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Hello.I am new to this board & thought I would share my story.My sister, who is 41 found a small lump (under 1cm) in her breast.She went for a mammogram & ultrasound that came back suspicious.They did a needle biopsy & it was inconclusive.She had a core biopsy & they took 4 samples & her results came back as a fibroadenoma & all clear of cancer.We were all so relieved & elated.A few days later her oncologist called to say he wasn't happy with the needle biopsy results so he got pathology to slice more of the tissue & although it is a fibroadenoma which is mostly benign, they did find a tiny amount of grade 2 cancer cells. She is now going to have the lump removed tomorrow & some surrounding tissue.They did want to do tests on the sentinel nodes to make sure her lymph glands are clear but she is not so sure about doing that.From what I am reading it is very rare to have a fibroadenoma have cancer cells? If anyone has any information or advice we would be so thankful.There is so much conflicting advice out there.She is even questioning why they did the core biopsy in case it spread the small amount of cancer to other areas.We are hoping it is contained in the lump.Looking forward to sharing your stories too.Thank you.

Return to “Partners, family, friends”