What are my chances?

A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
chickitrean
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What are my chances?

Postby chickitrean » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi Indi
I was 31 when diagnosed and my sister is Three years older than me. My sister has a mammogram once every Twelve months. I really need to go and have Genetic Counciling done so I can see if I'm positive to the Brac gene. This will benefit my children as well as my sisiter with extra knowledge incase BC is Hereditary in the family. There is no family history of BC in my family other than myself...... :ouch:

Having a talk with your GP is a great idea and will put your mind at ease.

Trina :)

indigo
Guru
Guru

Postby indigo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Thank you everyone for your input. I have been out bush for work - yay - and haven't had a chance to check in. all tha t you have said is really reassuring, but I will do what you say, talk to my GP. I just didn't want to sound like I was overreaaacting.
Regards
Indi

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

Turtle
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby Turtle » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:27 pm

There is no way to answer that one. Just be vigilant. Get regular check ups even if you have to pay for them. My inderstanding is they are not smoking related, but other cancers definately are. I gave up somoking some 22 years ago and then started again 2 years ago. Smart huh! Mind you, first round of chemo knocked the desire to smoke on the head pretty fast. For the 1st week or so after each dose I can't even stand to see someone smoke on the TV.

Live your life. As others have said talk to your GP. Breast size makes no difference, density of breast tissue can. Half the time no-one can tell you why you got a particular cancer or why you didn't. It's just your own body creating freak mutated cells.

The lucky ones are those that find them early.
DX April 2010. 2cm grade 2 IDC, RS WLE and axillary clearance 1 pos out of 19. Facing 4 x AC, 12 x Taxol, radiotherapy & Tamoxifen.

AndyK
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby AndyK » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Indigo, there is no answer unfortunately. We just don't know who will and who won't. One thing we do seem to know is that regardless of how you live your life, what your family history is, or what your age, the biggest risk is just being a woman. Just be very vigilant in your self examinations, and if you have family history, then go for regular mammograms and scans. But most of all, live your life to the absolute fullest. Don't wait to be struck down, it might never happen.
----------------------------
Andy
I'm the real life energiser bunny ...

Belinda
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Belinda » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:11 am

Hi Indigo. ST is right- it's a question that can't be answered. It's a lottery, it really is. You may be able to get genetic testing to see if you are a BRAC gene carrier, your Dr will talk you through the possibilities of that, which takes a few months at least to do (there's counselling first and the test takes a while to process).

Other than that...while it's important for all of us women be vigilent, don't let the fear of bc stop you from living the life you want. It's just too precious to spend in fear!

All the best - Bx
Belinda
Dx 3 Jan 2007, 4x3x3 cm IDC and 2 other tumours 1.5cm each, 6/19+ nodes, ER-, PR-, HER2+, 4 AC, 12 weekly Taxol + herceptin, 30ish rads, Herceptin finished May 08, currently watching a lung nodule.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:16 am

Sorry Indigo We can't answer that question. Maybe it's something to discuss with your GP? My thoughts would be for a genetic predisposition there would need to be other female relations who had had BC or ovarian cancer? Others may know more than me.
Women of all different lifestyles get BC. Some very fit and healthy women included so there are no easy answers. :hugs:

indigo
Guru
Guru

What are my chances?

Postby indigo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:56 pm

I was wondering a bit about how likelyit is that I could get breast cancer seeing as my sister had it at 32 and was triple negative. I have behaved stupidly and lived a bit wild, drink and smoke too much and am trying to quit smoking. Is it likely I could get it too? It's my 31st birthday this year, she got diagnosed at 32 or 33, she lived a much healthier life than me, and I don't like doctors. I don't have much in the way of boobies but she massive ones and breast fed both her babies and I haven't had any. Am I right to be worried? Is it one of the ones that runs in families - triple negatives that is. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you all.

Return to “Partners, family, friends”