Smile in the face of adversity

A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: Smile in the face of adversity

Postby Janette » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi Cathy
Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear you did hit "rock bottom" not surprising with all you have been through. I hope the challenge continues to make you feel better. I hope it all gets easier with time. :hugs:
Janette

MrsO
Guru
Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Smile in the face of adversity

Postby MrsO » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:45 pm

Gosh its been a long time since brad posted! Sorry he hasn't updated. Hopefully some of you put two and two together and realised I was Cathy (his wife) and were able to follow my treatment.

Basically, had the mastectomy and auxillary node clearance end of November. 18 removed, 8 affected. Had four or so more treatments of TAC chemo and started Herceptin at the start of the year. Had rads for 5 weeks April/May-ish and have been on just the herceptin since then. I believe it finishes in January 2011.

I didn't really hit rock bottom emotionally until the anniversary of diagnosis in August/September. Yes, i crumbled badly and finally realised what I had been through and what I have "lost" so to speak. I still like to stay positive but am a realist too and understand that there is a risk of it coming back so I am still very weary of my body.

last month I started on a 10 week challenge and have lost 6cm from my waist and 3cm from my chest (I am keeping my prosthetic in until last weigh in and measurements - hehehehe - we gotta use it right? ). I find I still have days of complete exhaustion and I try to listen to my body and just stop for the day (which is usually hard to do). I have found though, that the exercise is giving me happy endorphins which is a good side-affect.

I hate having the lyphodema to deal with - but its a small price to pay right?

Anyway, sorry this hasn't been updated for so long. I usually just post in the primary cancer section if I do post now, I should probably come in here more often.

Hope everyone is doing well xxx

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:09 am

Brad I notice your last update was in November. We would love to hear how Cathy is going and the rest of the family too. :hugs: :hugs:

kiwijan
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby kiwijan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:31 am

All the best for Cath`s surgery etc. Hang in there Brad :hugs:
Stage 1; Grade 11; bc. ER/PR positive; lumpectomy and rads. Finished 5yrs of tamoxifen on 1/11/10

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:43 pm

Janette

lesleydonna
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby lesleydonna » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:36 pm

you are absolutely right brad smiling and laughing in the face of what you have to go through is great, but remember a good cry can be good too. I spend a lot of days smiling, but some crying as well.

Hang in there friend and keep posting :hugs:
Lesley
"Let your hook be always cast. In the pool where you least expect it, will be fish."

ove99
Guru
Guru

Postby ove99 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi guys,

Well it turns out that chemo doesn't appear to be working. The tumors haven't responded so it is off to surgery on Thursday. Cath will have a ct and bane scan tomorrow to confirm that it hasn't spread followed by a mastectomy on Thursday. She should be out of hospital Sunday/Monday, dressing clinic on Tuesday and then she can go home. Hopefully she will be up to the 5 hour drive home by then. The breast surgeon also said she is nearly certain to have lymph-edema so will have our hands full for a while. At least the tumors will be out of her body!!!

I will post this on the other forum as well.

Thanks for all your support,

Brad.

ove99
Guru
Guru

Postby ove99 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks guys,

Jetj she is already having TAC, the oncologist said it was the strongest combination they had.

Still fingers crossed hey!!!

Brad

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks Brad,
I hope it goes well. They could even try a different chemo perhaps and see if that works better, hard not knowing though.
Janette

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:01 pm

Hoping you get some answers and know where you are going ASAP. Good luck for chemo and surgery whichever comes first.

:hugs: :hugs: to you both Nearly there!

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:47 pm

Wishing you both the very best. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

jay66
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jay66 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:15 pm

:hugs: :hugs: Will be thinking of you both, sending best wishes too. :hugs: :hugs:
Life, Live it.

Dx 7/07 DCIS 2cm, IDC 1.8cm, multifocal. Grade 2/3. 0/7 Nodes. Vascular Lymph Invasion. ER/PR- Her2 +++ under reconstrution lat flap, expanders. C cup

TanS
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby TanS » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi Brad & Cathy........Best wishes for this week............hope it all works out for the best...... :hugs:

Please let us know how things progress.

Tanya

ove99
Guru
Guru

Postby ove99 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Oh i forgot to mention about the name of the post. Smile in the face of adversity as crying about it takes up too much time and energy that is better spent on the fight and being positive.

Good luck to all you other members her are also having the battle of your lives!!!

Brad

ove99
Guru
Guru

Smile in the face of adversity

Postby ove99 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Guys,

Well it is time for round 4...let the battle begin. Chemo is hopefully on Wednesday, however they have just checked her bloods against her cancer marker for the start and the count hasn't reduced very much. Also the swelling in her arm pit is still easy to see with the eye. Also she has no strength in her left arm. Poor bother but she is a strong women and remarkably positive.

So we will see the breast surgeon tomorrow evening and she will do an ultra sound. That will probably determine whether we have chemo on Wednesday or go to surgery sooner rather than later.

So fingers crossed everyone and I'll post how we get on.

Brad

Return to “Partners, family, friends”