to test or not to test

A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

abcd

Postby abcd » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:25 pm

thanks, yest you're right, if she's negative then its not an issue.

User avatar
Janette
Forum Legend
Posts: 15776
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:23 am
Contact:

Postby Janette » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:28 pm

Forgive me if I'm wrong but if your sister's test comes back negative, then would it still be an issue?

It seems to me that if it is affecting your life now and obviously causing anxiety, then knowing that it is negative may alleviate the anxiety or if positive, enable you to take the necessary action to cut the risk. :hugs: :hugs:
Janette

Dx LCIS Dec 1997, Dx IDC, DCIS, bilateral LCIS Oct 2005 er+pr+her2-
Bilateral Mastectomies, expanders and silicone implants

cas145
Founding Member
Founding Member
Posts: 1170
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:13 pm

Postby cas145 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:07 pm

:hugs: abcd I was not offered it when first dx as no family history however I was able to have a meeting with genetics Dr after second dx, I have not at this stage had any testing I can down the track if I feel the need ( I do have 4 daughters ) 19, 13, 10 & 9 . :hugs: Cas

abcd

to test or not to test

Postby abcd » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:51 pm

I have recently found out that my sister has tested for the gene but don't know results as yet. up till now i have been quite happy to be 'unable' to be tested as no 'affected' family member had yet tested (I have not had cancer but others have). now the question rears its ugly head again and I really don't know what to do. i don't think i would handle a +ve result very well emotionally as i already flit between anxiety and mild depression. i think it would play on my mind continually and make me quite unable to handle day to day stuff.
for those who were 'borderline' i.e. not sure what to do, how did you arrive at your decision.


Return to “Partners, family, friends”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest