My sister has been diagnosed with DCIS Breast cancer

A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Re: My sister has been diagnosed with DCIS Breast cancer

Postby schoolteacher » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:47 am

Hi Beebee
This is such a scary time for all the family. It is a journey, with unexpected twists and turns. The treatment changes as more information via testing is obtained. If cancer cells were found in lymph nodes they will hit it hard because of concern that the cancer has spread outside the breast. The pathology also determines what treatment is used.
I was initially told radiation until pathology results came in then it changed to chemo. There are guidelines oncologists follow.
It must be tough living two hours away.
Thinking of you all and hoping for good results. I was diagnosed ten years ago and well now. Take it a day at a time. :hugs:

Beebee
Wise one
Wise one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My sister has been diagnosed with DCIS Breast cancer

Postby Beebee » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:16 pm

I need some advice my younger sister has just been diagnosed and it has already been a journey.
She was initially diagnosed with DCIS that was removed about 3 weeks ago. At the time she was told it was stage 2 and was told she would have radiation. They took the first lot of lymph glands while doing a lumpectomy. She Went back 10 days later and was told that there was more cancer cells there so more surgery. Which she had 20 days ago. Yesterday st her check she was told they hadn’t got all of the cancer and she had to start a regime of chemo for 12 weeks once a week and then continue for another 6 months she also has to have a mastectomy. It is so overwhelming for her and for her family.
She lives about 2 hours away from me and I feel so helpless I spoke to her this morning she only found out what was going to happen yesterday and was totally overwhelmed she is a little clearer today and is determined to get through this.

Return to “Partners, family, friends”