What can i do to support mum

A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gail
Forum Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What can i do to support mum

Postby Gail » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:17 am

Heng, you can always contact pal care which is wonderful. People think it is just for end of life but it isn't. They can help with housekeeping, nursing tv or just support you when needed. I was very sick at first and they visited every week to see how I was and now they just phone to make sure I am not having any problems.
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:36 pm

:wave: hi heng,you are a great daughter,and I am sure a great support for mum,I am so sorry mum has to go through ths again,the pulling feeling could be from the surgery ,but you should get it checked out.
It must be so hard without any support,does mum have frends that she can all to?i wish mum and you all the best...Rosa

heng

Postby heng » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:56 pm

she had two operations in late september and early november of 2012. The tumor only occured in early march this year when she was about to begin radiotherapy, after 4 treatments of chemo. But doctors have noticed the lumps to begin to reduce in size after 25 sessions of radiotherapy.

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi Heng and welcome to our forum. I'm not sure how long ago your mum had surgery but many of us have felt pulling or tightness for some time after an operation in the breast area. It is certainly something that she should ask her Drs about.

Do you go along with your mum to her appointments? It is good to have another pair of ears to hear Drs explanations and also to ask questions. Also good to write all your questions down so you don't forget anything. You will be a great support to her if you really understand all that is happening with her treatment. Of course you may already be doing all this!

You do sound like a great daughter...all this is very hard on you too.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Marin
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Marin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Heng
it seem you are doing everything you can do, be there for her. lets hope she will be ok, is a long journey for what I am reading and she seem strong enough to continue fighting this illness be positive and try to stay positive with her

all the best,

:grouphug: :hugs:

heng

Postby heng » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:33 pm

it was orginially on the right breast, but now shifted over near the centre where her chest is. Near the sternum, just above the bones. She did a bone scan a few weeks ago which confirmed no traces of the tumor in the bones, so its just on the skin.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi Heng and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your Mum's recurrence. I think you're already doing what your Mum needs in being there to support and find information for her. It must be very hard with family so far away.

Do you know where the tumour is, around the breast area or in the bones? There is a lot of support here for you and Mum, please let us know how things are going with treatment. :hugs:
Janette

heng

What can i do to support mum

Postby heng » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:19 pm

MY name is Heng and my mum's been diagnosed with cancer. Her first diagnosis was in 2003, its re-occured again in 2012 and at the moment she's still going through possible further radio or chemo treatments. A tumor has re-occured during treatments after surgery. Surgery has now become less of an option since the entire breast has been removed.

She says she feels as though there is something pulling or attached inside of the area. After hearing this i've become to be very worry on what i can do as a child in supporting her. Dad left us in 2011 and all mum's family members are overseas.

what are your stories and in what ways are benefical in aiding mum's recovery to be less stressful and painful.

Are there similar cases such as my mum and what are your success stories?

Return to “Partners, family, friends”