Looking for hope

A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
angel33
Superstar
Superstar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Looking for hope

Postby angel33 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:40 am

EBC 1997, bony mets Dec 2000, liver mets april 2007, chemo since

Leash1986
Guru
Guru

Postby Leash1986 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks Christine and Lucy for your replys.

Mum actually had check up today. Her oncologist changed her xeloda tablets around and consequently the markers have now gone up 14pointd but mum has no pain or symptoms.

The oncologist told mum today so long she has no symptoms or pain to not worry about the tumor markers. She will only worry if they go up 3 consecutive times in a row.

Tumor markers are just so off putting..

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Sorry to reply so late but i have been in hibernation for a while. Cancer counts (tumour markers) are a bit contraversial and my onc doesn't use them. Most oncs do but they can be very unpredictable. From what i gather the counts are done and monitored in coordination with symptoms/scans etc. Some people find them reliable with their own personal disease but many don't. I think if your Mum's pain etc is stable and her counts are stable, maybe they are in sync. I am no expert at all. I have mets in all those places also. I started with hormones and also swapped to chemo.
Good luck
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

Lucy the Lump
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Lucy the Lump » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi Leash _ I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question here. Hopefully someone will be able to answer you. Have you asked your GP? Perhaps the GP could e helpful or even your mum's Oncologist may explain it all to her.
Take care :hugs:
Lucy
Dx at 62 (March 2012). L Mastectomy (9/5/2012) Grade 3 IDC. 60mm. 5 of 19 Lymph nodes with mets. ER Pos (weak), PR Neg, HER2 Neg,
4 rounds of TC chemo (completed 17/8/12) - 25 rads (Completed 17/10/12) + Arimidex 10Nov12

Brain Mets 22Mar13. Neurosurgery 28Mar13. Rads start 24Apr13.

Leash1986
Guru
Guru

Looking for hope

Postby Leash1986 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi All,

I am 26 years of age, married and have a 1year old boy.

My mum was diagnosed with early breast cancer- Stage 1 in 2007- the year i got married. She had a lumpectomy followed by radiation.

In 2010 mum was diagnosed with breast cancer again- Stage 2. Mum was told to have her breast removed, followed by chemo, radiation and on-going hormonal therapy.

In November 2011- just after the birth of my son, mum continued to complain of bad back pain to the point she could hardly get out of a chair. Following full-body scan it was confirmed that the cancer had spread to mum's spine. following the mets diagnosis they changed mum's hormonal therapy tablets and gave her a course of radiation on her back.

In April 2012, Mum had influx of back pain and her cancer count increased significantly. After further bone scan it revealed the cancer had spread even more within her spine, into her legs, ribs and shoulders. Since the further spread of mets, they took mum off hormonal therapy and moved mum onto Xeloda. So far so good.. her pain has been under control and her cancer count is the lowest is has been since she was first diagnosed with mets- cancer count reading of 74.

I guess i am waiting to get people's feedback on cancer count readings- can the readings stagger and then drop even further.

Over the past 6 weeks mum's reading has stayed at 74.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Return to “Partners, family, friends”