A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

Janette
Forum Legend

Re: Newbie

Postby Janette » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:47 pm

Bec,
I'm so sorry to hear you lost your Mum. The aggression I thought was suspicious of a brain problem. May she rest in peace, knowing that she did achieve milestones and was truly loved. :rose: :hugs:
Janette

Gail
Forum Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Gail » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:50 am

Bec, I am sorry to hear this wretched disease took your mum so quickly :hugs: sending you love nd strength at this sad time. Gail
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ruth1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 am

Nuubec, sending you condolences on the passing of your Mum. So sorry for what you have all had to go through - its the hardest thing I think. Really good that you were all next to her at the end. Be gentle on yourself at this very difficult time. Hugs to you. Ruth
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

liv

Postby liv » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:05 am

nuubec :hugs: so sad to read your mothers journey has reached its end, now she is in peace and so glad you got to say goodbye. :heart:

Nuubec
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Nuubec » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:44 am

Hello all.
I wasn't a member of this board very often but I wanted to post and thank those of you who replied to this thread. It provided comfort to me when I needed it.
My strong, determined, beautiful mother passed away the night of Wednesday 14 November 2012. Her decline at the end was exceedingly rapid, over a 48 hour period, and shocked everyone including the doctors.
They believe her brain was being deprived of oxygen for some time due to the secondary lung cancer, and she reached a tipping point.
I was able to make it over to see her at the end, and she knew I was there. My father, my sister and myself cared for her that long last night in hospital, and kept vigil beside her the following day while she took her last breaths.
I have been left with a true hatred of this awful disease and the way in which it invades and destroys the body.
My only comfort is that mum fought so hard, she stayed with us for five years longer than expected and in that time saw both her daughters married, and met all four of her grandchildren.
Thankyou again, and love to all,

X

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Bec , I would not think it would be a side effect but perhaps she is stressed out and losing it over her diagnosis. It is overwhelming at first but does get better as she improves and things settle down I would say the messages are due to stress and anxiety and would discuss with her team. If she has not registered with pal care do it ASAP as they help with coping financially and physically. You do not have to be at end of life to access their services. :grouphug:
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:41 pm

That's tough Bec. Mum will be dealing with a lot emotionally, as well as meds. I agree with the suggestion to let her medical team know. Something else might be going on :hugs: try not to take it personally, as hard as it must be :hugs:

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi Nuubec,
I don't recall members mentioning having those side effects. Might be worth mentioning the aggression to her medical team.

It sounds like she is going through a lot at the moment, with diagnosis and treatment. I hope you are not feeling too hurt. :hugs:
Janette

Nuubec
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Nuubec » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi again ladies.....mum went home today with oxygen, she is on 17 weeks of treatment of herceptin and taxol. She has started saying some very strange and mean things, and getting quite aggressive. Is that a side effect of the medication? I have also been getting some very strange messages from her, it doesn't at all sound like my mum.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Hello and welcome. Lots of good advice here as always. We have a few NZ ladies on the forum so mum would feel at home. :wink: the ABC girls will be such a support for you both. I just wish people didn't have to go through this :hugs:

Blizz
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby Blizz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Welcome to the forum Bec.

My family all live on the other side of the world (Holland) and I can completely relate to wanting to be closer when times are tough.
I lost my dad in 2008 and we considered moving for a while too, to be closer to mum. But I don't think DH would cope very well to be honest.
My mum was here for 3 months last year when I was going through treatment.

You can be there for your mum without being physically there in so many different ways and I am sure she knows you are with her every step of the way.

Hope your mum will respond well to treatment and there will be a lot of opportunities to spend quality time together.
:hugs:

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:27 pm

:grouphug: I have also just been diagnosed in lungs and bones after 6 years clear :( time left to live is too soul destroying and hope is the best thing to speak of now. I was so stressed with the doctors speaking of end of life and I have made it clear that I only want to hear positive discussions and it has made a big difference to my stress levels. If your mum wants to talk with me privately I am here for her. :grouphug:
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:27 am

Easy to understand, how you must be feeling right now, with modern technology it is so easy to stay in close contact with family o'seas. Let's hope they will find a treatment to knock back the cancer and with Herceptin and Tykerb, there are good options.

Please let us know how Mum is going. :hugs:
Janette

Nuubec
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Nuubec » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 am

Hi, thank you so much for your replies!!!
Being here in oz is very difficult and hubby and I have thrown about the idea of moving back to nz for the duration, but since we have a mortgage and a five year old about to start school, etc, it's not an easy decision. I know that mum would love to see more of her grandchildren, and of course I want to see as much of my mm as possible, and be there to make sure dad is ok, but it's such a huge decision and for hubby, being Australian, means moving away from his entire family and friends which I don't think is fair to ask him to do.
My head is all over the place actually. Went back to work yesterday and found it a good distraction, a workmates wife went into labour and it was so nice to feel happy about something, his first baby so he was running around like a silly person haha.
Mum has the test today to try and get another biopsy done on her lungs, and apparently had a good night and is very chirpy today.
Thanks again for your replies, not sure if my post even makes any sense!

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Ditto to what Tracey said. I have recently been rediagnosed with secondaries and I wouldn't consider asking for time frame. I can work it out myself quite a bit but everything is still so unpredictable. they might be giving the impression things are dire cos it will probably take your mother's life prematurely but there is still a lot of living to do before then. And being HER -2 we have so many new drugs to try out. I have recently started one called Abraxane and it is so easy to tolerate compared to the ones I had for early stage diagnosis. I have lost my hair but that's about it. I am having it with Herceptin. If it doesn't help I'll try something else and always keep my eye open for a trial. Get mum on forum if you can.

Edit: Abraxane is a chemo and not solely for HER-2.
Last edited by chrismelb on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

Return to “Partners, family, friends”