Calling for a partner in chemo

A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lucy the Lump
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Calling for a partner in chemo

Postby Lucy the Lump » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:47 am

Hi Chrissys4
How are you going with your chemo? Are you finished your rounds yet? I hope that you are able to cope ok with the SEs as they are not all friendly hey?
I have one more round to go on the 17th Aug and so glad to be getting to the last one now. Have had all the aches & pains & feeling so very tired at times. But the worst by far is the first 10 days of the 3 week cycle. Food not only tastes so bad, but the feel of it in my mouth is unbearable. Have had to resort to hospital grade sustagen so many times it is not funny. After about 10 days the food thing starts to get better and I can at least eat normal food whether I enjoy it or not. And the smells? This last round has not been as bad but the others were horrible. Everything - including me stunk. DH says I don't smell nor does the house, but I'll swear there were rotten turnips somewhere. The smell of cooking, even toast was the pits too. My plain Dove soap for sensitive skin even smelled bad.
I found that Icecream - being cold - was lovely sliding down my throat & some Lemon Barley Cordial in my water helped with the taste too. This last round the tips of my fingers have started to have a numbish feeling to them so doing up buttons is a bit of a fiddle.
Are you to have radiation afterwards as well?
I feel that at least with these treatments by having the dates up front it has been so much easier to stay positive and aim for the end dates with more confidence. The hardest part for me was the not knowing things when first being diagnosed. The more info I was given the more certain that I am that all is being done to beat this cancer, so here's to a healthier future to us all.
I sure hope all is going well for you too. :hugs:
Dx at 62 (March 2012). L Mastectomy (9/5/2012) Grade 3 IDC. 60mm. 5 of 19 Lymph nodes with mets. ER Pos (weak), PR Neg, HER2 Neg,
4 rounds of TC chemo (completed 17/8/12) - 25 rads (Completed 17/10/12) + Arimidex 10Nov12

Brain Mets 22Mar13. Neurosurgery 28Mar13. Rads start 24Apr13.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:09 am

I'm not currently having chemo but had it nearly 4 years ago. I hope your onc has addressed the side effects? Most can be managed. Have you had the second, third dose? I found the first was the worst. I then knew how it affected me and what I needed to do to manage it :hugs:

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:47 am

:wave: hi crissys4 I am not sure if I replied to you before,how are you going with the chemo I hope the symptoms have settled are you having the fortnightly ones at the moment,they are pretty intense I am on weekly sessions now and they are a bit more bearable ,definitely keep taking nausea tablets they do help but if they don't ask for different ones,just eat and drink what you feel like.all the best :happydance:

chrissys4
Wise one
Wise one

Calling for a partner in chemo

Postby chrissys4 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:02 pm

I was told to put a call out to anyone who was going through chemo at the moment so we could have a moan about the side effects and share our feelings so here goes. :chemo:

I had my first cycle of chemo a week ago and I have had all the side effects, head aches, feeling nausea with lead boots and now I have ulcers in my mouth and throat and feel sick with heartburn.

My cupboard is full of all the things I felt like and then couldn't eat when I tasted or got the smell of them. I was happy with my lemon tea and cans of Solo as water was so yuck, until I developed ulcers in my throat and everything I eat now causes heart burn. I have managed to combat the sickness with little snacks of either soup, scrambled eggs or mashed banana.

I phoned oncology and I was told to have a blood sample done NOW as my blood count could be low and to get some gaviscon and keep taking the anti nausea tablets.

I was given some peppermint tea today and found it refreshing when ice was added and consumed cold. I may even try to freeze it into ice cubes and see how that goes down.

Will I go through the same thing every cycle? It is nice not being on my own and being able to run away to be here with you all. :grouphug:

Return to “Partners, family, friends”