My MUM my bestfriend

A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

debman
Been there, done that
Been there, done that
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My MUM my bestfriend

Postby debman » Thu May 24, 2012 12:16 pm

As the others have said, everyone is different on what you feel you can eat. A bit like pregnancy that way. I found all I could stomach were apples. Everything else tasted like dirt!

Put a call out on this forum for someone who is going through chemo now too, it's great to have a buddy to share with.

:heart:
Deb
, . Stopped taking tamoxifen in December 2012 after 18 months due to debilitating SEs.

angel33
Superstar
Superstar
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby angel33 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:22 am

If you cannot get over the nausea tell the onc and they can order different anti nausea meds. Tell the onc all the ailments as often they can give you diff drugs to make it all not so bad.
Chemo thread is good. Eat what you feel like and often small meals are better than others. Depending on your chemo your taste may change...I am a shocking cook then...lol :D
I found salt and vinegar chips, dry bics, vegemite on toast often eased the queasiness. Often fizzy drinks were too sweet for me so I drank flat dexal.
its all a trial and error...everyone is different good luck.
rest up as that makes you feel better too.
angel33
EBC 1997, bony mets Dec 2000, liver mets april 2007, chemo since

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Wed May 23, 2012 10:27 pm

The sticky thread on how to cope with chemo has food and drink ideas. Make sure you stay hydrated. I was only nauseous the first time as I slept all weekend and didn't drink enough fluids.
The steroids and anti nausea meds are your best friend if taken before symptoms set in :hugs:

chrissys4
Wise one
Wise one

Postby chrissys4 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Well I am glad to say all the hot spots are nothing to worry about on the cancer side :happydance:

In over 40 years I have had my hair long and I have had it cut into a pixie slyle as my daughter said to have a funky style that I would never dream of having normally and I must admit I am getting used to it. (Soon be gone though) :D

I bought a bright pink set of ear muffs to keep my ears warm and I have made quite a statement :clap:

I had my first cycle of chem yesterday and I am not feeling too good, someone filled my legs with lead. It hit me at 1.30am in the morning and I had my hubby running round like a chcicken with its head cut off looking for my nausea tablets. I can laugh about it now!

Trying to get through these first few days with food and what I feel like eating. (Any tips?)

Thanks again for listening to me rambling off.

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Tue May 15, 2012 3:17 pm

:pmsl: Must be all that red pee spraying over the toothbrushes! No one said no tongue kissing either! :pmsl:
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

debman
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby debman » Tue May 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Yeah, that made me laugh too Gail. As if??

I thought the strangest thing was that I was supposed to put the lid down on the toilet before using a full flush!
, . Stopped taking tamoxifen in December 2012 after 18 months due to debilitating SEs.

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 am

I was just told no sex for 2 days after infusion. Yeah like that was gonna happen! 8 )
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

chrissys4
Wise one
Wise one

Postby chrissys4 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks for your input as it keeps me sane (if I was ever sane!) :ouch:

Well I had all my extra scans, ultra sound and x-rays yesterday. Scary when the hospital staff know you :!:

I was please to have a doctor there who said my liver was clear and that my brain scan looked fine, I know I broke my collar bone many years ago so that was three out of four so I now wait for the results on my femur. :xfingers:

I went for my education session for chemo which was quite scary but I had my hubby and daughter there as support. :hugs:

I was not aware that I could contaminate all my family with the dreaded chemo. It would be terrible if I couldn't kiss my husband and family.

I will keep you updated.

angel33
Superstar
Superstar

Postby angel33 » Sat May 12, 2012 1:24 pm

EBC 1997, bony mets Dec 2000, liver mets april 2007, chemo since

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Sat May 12, 2012 10:01 am

Gosh, no wonder you are worrying, the unknown is just so confronting. I also have something that shows up and is a cracked rib and something on my lung originally that had to be re checked and left me scared. We are all thinking of you. :grouphug:
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Fri May 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Chrissy, what a worrying time for you. Waiting is awful! Its very hard not to let your mind take you to the worst place. I hope Jezza's story is reassuring. Hoping to hear the all clear soon :xfingers:

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Fri May 11, 2012 6:24 pm

Waiting is torture...we all agree on that. I was called back because of a hot spot on a bone scan once and had to have futher tests. It turned out to be a rib that I had cracked ages ago and didn't even know...I was a mess waiting for the next results. As Janette says we just have to go with the flow and appreciate the fact that they are being thorough and whatever the result its best to find out ASAP and start treatment.

Usually they send a copy to your GP. If you have a good relationship with him/her you may feel comfortable enough to phone them to see if they have the results earlier...or phone the Dr who ordered them. Its so stressful to wait.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri May 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi Chrissy,
Thanks for the update. It is a horrible waiting game for those results. We all have had a taste of it in varying intensities.

It is what it is, and the only thing we have any control over is how we react to it. It will get easier, this is still an awful time.

Please let us know how the tests go, we are here to support you. :hugs:
Janette

chrissys4
Wise one
Wise one

Postby chrissys4 » Fri May 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Thank you for your mesages and support, they are very calming to read. :hugs:
Well I had a pixie hair cut yesterday, something I would never have normally done lol. :pmsl:
I had the results from a bone scan, CT scan and a heart scan yesterday and they found a few hot spots! :ouch:
I now have to go for 4 more scans and x-rays on Monday to be more thorough. I have to admit I am petrified!! :grouphug:

I have to wait until next Thursday for the results from that and this waiting game is torture! :xfingers:

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Fri May 04, 2012 7:39 pm

I dreaded the thought of chemo..we all do...it's natural. It s not a walk in the park but it is DOABLE. Tiredness was the big hit for me so I slept every afternoon. It accumulates over time too. I got through it by counting down the number of treatments left, and recognizing after dose one that days 3-5 were a wipe out (chemo fog and lots of sleep). The week after was a big rest week then I started to pick up again during week two. If you had a heart check I'm wondering if you're having Herceptin? If Her2+ That was me.

Return to “Partners, family, friends”