Hoping for some more information

A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Re: Hoping for some more information

Postby chrismelb » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:06 pm

Let your sister know that it doesn't transfer from breast to breast. As the others have said the doctors would let you know if more treatment is necessary. Good luck.
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi Bramble,
Welcome to the forum.

My interpretation would be that it is great news so far and it sounds like she is in good hands. If they thought there was risk of cancer having spread anywhere they would have suggested chemotherapy.

Mucinous Carcinoma seems to be very non agressive from the site I googled. Might be an idea for Mum or your sister to ask for a copy of the pathology report next visit so that you can see first hand the results.

Mum is very lucky to have 2 such caring devoted children. :hugs:
Janette

mdobson70
Enlightened one
Enlightened one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mdobson70 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi

My story is very similar I had a lumpectomy in Nov 2010 due to mammo and biopsy showing cancer. I did not get clear margins when I had my lumpectomy (cancer cells still in breast due to lumpectomy not removing all of them). So I had a Mastectomy and none of my Lymph nodes showed up as having cancer which means it was contained to the breast. I am quite confident that it has now all been removed and I have nothing to worry about. However I am thinking about having my other breast removed just as a precaution as my mother had breast cancer so it could be genetic. I am just on 3 month checkups though and on medication as I am pre-menapausal (Tamoxifen)
Has your Mum been put on any medication? If she hasnt I would say the surgeon is pretty confident it has all been removed and she is ok to just be monitered..but if she is really concerned she should talk to her breast care nurse or surgeon who will clarify any concerns.

Hope all goes well
Dx Nov 2010 extensive DCIS, Dec 2010 Lumpectomy (no clear marg), Jan 2011 SNB (nodes neg) RB Mast
Grade 2 IDC ER+PR+ HER2-, Tamoxifen 5yrs

Crystalady
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Crystalady » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Hopefully your sister is worrying too much.

Having found no cancer in that many nodes hopefully means that there hasn't been any spread. Nobody can be absolutely sure. I had 2 positive nodes out of 22 and my cancer came back after 10 years.

You have to trust your doctors and just be diligent in making sure she keeps up with the screening processes. It's a good idea for you and your sister to be careful also. My daughter is checked yearly and has an ultrasound if she's at all concerned. Sometimes in younger women having a MRI is better.

Good luck

:hugs: Sandra
First diagnosed in Dec 1998. Thyroid cancer 2006. Thought I was free and clear after 10 years but no, mets in spine in Dec 2008. Femara stopped working October 2010.Was on Aromasin and zometa. Now taking Xeloda and Zometa.Xeloda not working Dec 2011. Tamoxifen started. Feb 2012 Now on Abraxane.

Bramble

Hoping for some more information

Postby Bramble » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:59 am

Hi everyone,
This is my first post and hope I don't ramble on. My Mum was diagnosed with breast cancer in October 2006 and underwent a lumpectomy which found she'd had mucinous breast cancer. She underwent radiotherapy and went well until October 2010 when her mammogram showed a small lesion in the same area as her lumpectomy. As with the lesion before it was in a difficult position for the doctor to get a biopsy and the pathology came back inconclusive. Her surgeon decided to perform a lumpectomy in November 2010 and the results came back negative. By the end of January her breast was misshapen and swollen and fluid was leaking from her nipple. It took her a couple of weeks to tell anyone, then a few more weeks to get an appointment to have the fluid drained. This time the pathology said that the fluid contained cancer cells (although the surgeon couldn't tell us what sort of cancer - not sure if that's unusual). The surgeon decided that she should have a mastectomy which she underwent on May 30th. As I live in another city my sister went with Mum to her follow up appointment on Wednesday because Mum often switches off when getting bad (or good) news. According to my sister the surgeon said he removed 23 lymph nodes (I'm not 100% sure about the number) and that they were cancer-free, and that the breast tissue was still being dissected but that no cancer had been reported as yet. He said that he didn't think she would require further treatment, that she needed to see him again in 3 months and that she should have her regular annual mammogram on the other breast plus a scan in October.

I took this to be positive news and my Mum seemed happy with what the surgeon said. My sister however is convinced that this means Mum still has cancer somewhere, perhaps the other breast and that it is only a matter of time before it is found. I'm wondering if anyone here can shed a little light on what this may all mean.

Return to “Partners, family, friends”