Daughter's reaction when learnt of mother's bc diagnosis?

A place for partners, family and friends to share experiences and information.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Cheryl H
Your Maj
Your Maj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Daughter's reaction when learnt of mother's bc diagnosis

Postby Cheryl H » Sat May 14, 2011 1:07 am

When I had my diagnosis 3 years ago, my oldest daughter enquired about the BRCA testing. Because of my family history, and the fact that there is Jewish ancestry on my father's side which can be associated with the BRCA gene, I had the testing done. It came back negative, although they said there is further testing they can do based on my family history. In the process they also told me that there seem to be genetic factors that they haven't identified yet, so not to assume that because we don't have the BRCA gene that there is no hereditary risk. My daughters have the advantage of being forewarned, and are now being vigilant from a young age. They are also making an effort to avoid certain risk factors - being overweight, alcohol, smoking, the contraceptive pill. They try to eat a healthy diet and as little processed food as possible. These are all things that you can have some control over, to empower you in your own life. I hope it helps!
:heart: Cheryl.

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Yeah I know, that really sucks Vanessa. Have you had the BRCA1 test, I'm sorry I can't remember, I get a bit lost with everyone and what they are having done.

I get very annoyed when I hear people telling young girls that they are far too young to have it and it is RARE in women under 50. I know statistically it may appear rare, but that just shows me that there must be an incredible amount of women getting breast cancer. It is not rare at all, this forum shows that.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

VanessaV31
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby VanessaV31 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Judy in saying that i got bc at 31 and there is no family history of it at all in my family.... just me :grr:
June 2010 - Diagnosed with EBC, Triple Negative, IDC, 5cm, grade 3, 1/18+ nodes, clear margins
August 2010 - Diagnosed with ABC to Bones and Lungs, Triple Negative
October 2010 - Spinal Fusion and started PARP tiral
May 2011 - LB Mastectomy

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Thu May 12, 2011 8:12 pm

My mother had DCIS and I was told that this had nothing to do with me getting breast cancer. You are only at high risk if your mother had it at a young age and/or there are more than one person in the same side of immediate family that got it at a young age.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Thu May 12, 2011 8:06 pm

From what I understand, unless there is already a strong family history, they won't do genetic testing. Having 2 daughters myself, I am not too concerned about their future as I was the first in our family to have bc. (lucky me :( ) I don't believe they will inherit bc from me so please don't spend your life worrying

mykc

Daughter's reaction when learnt of mother's bc diagnosis?

Postby mykc » Wed May 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi everyone

My mother was diagnosed at the end of last year and she had a lumpectomy close to Christmas. I'm not always home as I study abroad but I was there when she went through her chemo. I didn't really have time to think about this then because I had to take care of everything at home and made sure she could just focus on her treatments and was resting adequately. Another thing is maybe because my father works in the medical field and so I feel like everything is taken care of properly so I don't worry as much? We still talk on the phone every day and she and dad update me on what happens. She's got only one week of radiotherapy left!

I would like to know how you (especially daughters of a breast cancer fighter/survivor) felt when you found out that your mother had breast cancer, and if learning about that diagnosis changed your outlook on life at all (as genetic inheritance is a factor for breast cancer)? Whether now that you know you're at an increased susceptibility to it changes the way you think and act? Would you go for gene testing even if you didn't have a strong family history?

I'd really appreciate it if someone should share their thoughts with me on this or just have a chat about their own experience.

Return to “Partners, family, friends”