Realistic time frame for tram flap recovery

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: Realistic time frame for tram flap recovery

Postby Janette » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi Kiwijanelle,
I looked into a bilateral diep recently and the surgery was quoted at 15 hours or more. Flap surgeries are lengthy, but I also think those who have it are reasonably happy with the results. Ask plenty of questions and hope you have great results whatever you decide to do. :hugs:
Janette

Kiwijanelle
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kiwijanelle » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:28 pm

Thanks for that info, I am hoping to get surgery late November too, with my plan being to use the holidays to recover.
I am a little concerned as I react to everything, and I really don't react well to anaesthetic, hence the eight year delay!
Diagnosed Sept 08, RB Mastectomy ALND sept 08 - Triple Negative
chemo 3 FEC, 9 taxol. 25 RADS all done - YIPPEE

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Hi KiwiJanelle
I didn't realise you were a teacher too! I had a Tram Flap in 2011. I was told 4-6 weeks recovery so had the last month of the year off on leave. (Went public so when offered late Nov booked rest of year off)
Expect the unexpected. I was supposed to have one week in hospital with a few weeks at home. Lots went wrong with such a big surgery so I was in hospital for 3 weeks with the summer break spent recovering and revision surgery 6 months later.
It is huge surgery (and I have weak lungs) so allow for the unexpected. Others have sailed through. I wasn't as lucky,
I'm glad I did it, as I can buy clothes easily and feel more real despite having only one nipple. But there are pay offs in the form of scar tissue etc.
my point being, planning time off is an estimate only, see how you go

Kiwijanelle
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Realistic time frame for tram flap recovery

Postby Kiwijanelle » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:26 pm

Help, it has been a long time since I have been here!
Last year my breast surgeon referred me for reconstruction. It's been eight years since my original surgery. I don't believe in rushing things :biggrin: :biggrin:
Saw a surgeon in February, she was great, have sooo much information to digest.
I think I am going to opt for tram flap reconstruction.

Among my many questions is this, what was your recovery like and what is a realistic off work time frame?
I am a teacher, so need to be functioning pretty well before I go back to work!! I have got six weeks sick leave saved up. I would probably try and work it so that I either had surgery in the holidays, or six weeks before the holidays to maximise sick leave/school holiday combo.
The surgeon said that they can be reasonably flexible timewise, but I don't know exactly how flexible that is in reality.
Hope you are all travelling well :mexwave: :mexwave:
Diagnosed Sept 08, RB Mastectomy ALND sept 08 - Triple Negative
chemo 3 FEC, 9 taxol. 25 RADS all done - YIPPEE

Return to “Reconstruction”