Flap Reconstruction

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: Flap Reconstruction

Postby Janette » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Yes I imagine it would be uncomfortable sitting on it after surgery. I must revisit those posts, thanks MD.
Janette

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Marydean » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:46 pm

Janette, my understanding of the SGAP is that it hurts like a biartch - not at all like having new boobs grown in a test-tube somewhere! LOL

I was thinking about this today, and i remembered that our Ruth had a tummy recon that was a variant of a TRAM (? some kind of free-flap ?) - and she wrote about the process in quite some detail (either in My Journey or the Recon section). I might be worth reading, if you haven't already.
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi Janette
What a tough call! The difficulty is you don't know if they can do a Tram or DIEP until they start and see how blood vessels line up. Either is big surgery and as I know too well it has risks. You are well aware of these. If you think you can physically face the recovery it is a good result if all goes well. Are you thinking one or two breasts?? Do you have someone to care for you afterwards? Good luck deciding :hugs:

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:12 pm

I don't think I could go through with it myself at this stage of my life Janette. You're correct that I've had my implants for 24 years now but I'm still aware that something could happen to one (or both) of them. I've certainly been lucky so far.

My PS told me if one did rupture to come in straight away(as if I wouldn't!...lol) as if you leave it too long the skin may shrink a bit . I think she was talking about my case as I have saline. With silicone a rupture isn't as noticeable most times as the silicone is thicker and leaks out slowly but with saline I think it leaks out pretty quickly.

Certainly it would be more reassuring to have the flap method but I don't think it was suitable for me 24 years ago as I was pretty skinny....I know it was discussed. Certainly I am sure there is plenty of excess bits of me now!

I would have mine replaced but can understand why you would be reluctant after having had problems more than once.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:33 am

They can MD. It's called a SGAP. Not common in Oz though.
Janette

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:44 pm

Janette, I keep waiting for the day they can grow my bumfat into a new boobie, I'll get my lat-dorsi+implant swapped out then :pmsl:
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks Everyone,
10 years since my mastectomies and 9 years with the implants. You do move on and get away from thinking about surgeries. It would be a distinct advantage with flap over implants I would think, not having to face more surgeries, however my PS says he has patients who have had their implants for 25 years as has Jezza. I've already had to have mine removed once when they spread as did my expanders. :hugs:
Janette

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:22 pm

I have to say for me the DIEP was relatively easy to recuperate from. The first day was tough but if I can do it anyone can. I was only about 18 months out of mastectomy and treatment so I was still used to feeling crappy lol. I think it would be more difficult going in for it now after years of feeling ok and moving on.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:48 am

its a difficult and hard decision to make Janette- I have had 4 implant exchanges in 3 years and came close to diep but then had to have my foot done and that's meant a 12 month recovery so opted again for implant. I think diep has great results from a couple of ladies I know of but of course its not easy. Don't envy you this decision.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:49 pm

Thanks Rosa, these things happen, I can't complain really. :hugs:
Janette

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:15 pm

:wave: sorry to hear that you have to make these decisions Janette ......Rosa
Going through any surgery is scary

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks Judy,
Maybe I'm too aware of the pitfalls with that surgery. :pmsl: :pmsl: I would have read every post on here but still need encouragement that it's worth it.
Janette

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:52 pm

I am so glad I went with the DIEP and would recommend it to anyone but as we know it doesn't come without it's risks. I was extremely lucky with my operation and the follow up with very few issues. I did have necrosis but only along the bottom of the breast and my surgeon had made the breast large so that he could cut some out without losing too much.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Janette
Forum Legend

Flap Reconstruction

Postby Janette » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:24 pm

Would anyone who has had a Diep or Tram Flap not choose that recon again?

I have a ruptured implant and don't think I want to go that route again.
Janette

Return to “Reconstruction”