Lat Dorsi Recon

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
carmie
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Lat Dorsi Recon

Postby carmie » Sat May 23, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks MD I was only thinking this morning about the mobility side of it. I was very mobile after my mast. sat up eating breaky the next morning, showered & washed my hair, all that stuff. But I am starting to think that's definately not going to be the case this time !! I still have my zonta pillow & whenever I have had any surgery on the boobs I take another cushion with me which I hold across my chest to support it almost all the time. I haven't seen a breast care nurse & assume I won't because its so far down the track from BC.(4 yrs) & I guess I will be bound up after the surgery, no-one has mentioned anything about bras at all. I think my berlei post surgery bra is too big these days ( note to self.....dig it out !) best have a look at all those kinds of things & have them handy for hubby to bring if needed. I usually leave a pile of extra undies & pj's out in case I'm there longer than expected, I have learnt from experience that some can't be trusted to find the things you want even if you wear them regularly.........
Carmie
Carmel

Dx 31/05/11, RB skin sparing mast with silicone implant 21/6, DCIS approx 15cm, IDC 3cm grade 2 stage 2 ; 2/13 nodes, ER/PR+,HER2-, Ki-67+ : TAC x6, Radiation x28. Hormone therapy to follow. Tamoxifen May 2012- July 2012 - Stroke July 2012 switch to Femara Oct 2012

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Sat May 23, 2015 12:10 am

Hi Carmie - maybe not what you wanted, but like the drs said the lat dorsi is a very robust sort of recon, and it's a good way to get fresh tissue with a good blood supply. I had a unilateral lat dorsi recon at the same time as my mast, and i got a really good, natural result (the nurses and the mammo ladies always comment on it LOL) so I hope you get a good result too :hug:.

It's good to be prepared in a practical sense because it is fairly big surgery, so don't assume you'll be back home doing the housework in a few days! When I got home i slept propped up on an amazing array of pillows and needed help getting in and out of bed, showering, dressing etc for at least a week after I went home, so you might need some practical support like that too. You should see a physio before you leave hospy - do the exercises! They're important for giving you back your range of motion. Be prepared with some front opening surgical bras (the breast care nurse might help you with that) and clothes that button or are stretchy so you can get them on/off. If you have or can get one of the zonta pillows, they are awesome, you'll use it a lot.

Anyway, all the very best - we'll be barracking for you!
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sat May 16, 2015 8:46 pm

Wow, what a shock for you and terrible timing with a son in hospital too :hugs:
I hope all goes smoothly from now on

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Sat May 16, 2015 10:07 am

omg Carmie, you certainly have had a rough time - hope your son is ok. Cant believe you somehow managed to work and produce curry!!! The things we do!!

I hope this surgery is your last.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

carmie
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby carmie » Sat May 16, 2015 9:13 am

Thanks ladies so much for your well wishes.
Ruth, honestly after this last surgery six weeks ago ( that I thought would be the last ) I was disappointed with the result & when I was heading to the surgeon for review this week I thought he was just going to put a few stiches in & that would be that. But his face told a different story, he went straight out for a nurse & then went back out to call the plastics guys at the other hospital (canberra). When he told me I was going to plastics next morning I thought they might just stitch & dress it. So to be told thats not going to heal & this really is the only next step, I was a bit shell shocked to say the least. This was on top of having had no sleep because I had 18yo son at ER with welding flash burn to his eyes (hes ok). When I left plastics I was driving home & my mind was racing so I thought I need to get it under control......, I'll go to school & sort out work & once I was there I thought I may as well stay because it was highly unlikely I was going to sleep, so I stayed & worked !!!!
........& YES apparently I AM an absolute idiot !!!!!! But I didn't burn anything & made a nice beeef curry that we bought out yesterday & it was yummy !!!! I think that was better than coming home & stewing about it.
I certainly am resigned to it now. Can't say I'm looking forward to it but I am hoping that this could be the finish !!!
Thanks again girls.
Carmel
Carmel

Dx 31/05/11, RB skin sparing mast with silicone implant 21/6, DCIS approx 15cm, IDC 3cm grade 2 stage 2 ; 2/13 nodes, ER/PR+,HER2-, Ki-67+ : TAC x6, Radiation x28. Hormone therapy to follow. Tamoxifen May 2012- July 2012 - Stroke July 2012 switch to Femara Oct 2012

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat May 16, 2015 12:47 am

Hi Carmie,
I hope surgery goes really well and you recover quickly. :hugs:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi Carmie, nice to see you posting. I don't have any advice for your either but I would like to send you best wishes for a very successful surgery after all that you've been through. I too am having another go at the implants in Nov. Breast Surgeon finally gave up after 3 revisions and now I am being done by Plastic Surgeon. Will be most interested to hear how this turns out for you - its something I was considering to have done.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Fri May 15, 2015 10:04 pm

Sorry no advice, but I want to wish you the very best and a quick recovery. Maybe one bit of advice when you are feeling cr*p and wondering why on earth you thought this was a good idea, just remember that this too will pass.

:hugs:
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

carmie
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Lat Dorsi Recon

Postby carmie » Fri May 15, 2015 8:49 pm

For those that don't know of me, my original dx was 2011, right mast with immed implant recon, chemo, then some time later rads was suggested (which I had) since then numerous other things have raised their ugly heads from a small stroke, to a large haematoma behind the implant. ....life goes on. After some recent revision surgery, lift on the good side & some other work on the radiated side, unfortunately a wound hasn't healed & I was sent off very quickly to the plastic surgeon. It was quickly pointed out that this is unlikely to heal with a good result so the options for a flap recon were looked at straight away. Despite the fact that I have plenty of spare belly, alas this recon is not for me.......previous stroke & underlying autoimmune condition dictate the shorter & hopefully better blood supply from the Lat Dorsi recon. So this is all booked in for June 4th, I have preadmission next Wednesday, & this is all through the public hospital system. This is something I knocked back about 18 months ago because my autoimmune system was all over the place; it is a lot more stable now (thanks to medication & lovely Rheumatologist) & even though I have always been happy with my decisions about surgery in the past I think I am finally ready to take this step............even though I don't really have a choice now.
If you have any advice, do's or don'ts about this surgery I would appreciate all tips.
Carmel
Carmel

Return to “Reconstruction”