Breast Reconstruction - public or private?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Breast Reconstruction - public or private?

Postby Marydean » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:25 pm

Mruby I had a lat dorsi reconstruction at the RAH which is a public hospital here in Adelaide. My surgeon (pot luck) also operates in the private system so no difference in terms of the medical treatment at all. I get comments about how good my recon is all the time (eg, at mammo appts, etc) so that leads me to think I got an above-average result, appearance-wise. Cost me $0 dollars. There is absolutely no way I could have afforded a reconstruction any other way so I'll be grateful to my dying day that this was provided. I was able to have an immediate reconstruction at the time of my mast so it was a very short wait for me (cat 2 surgery), but if you've had all the cancer removed already the wait is longer, but it's months not years. That varies depending on where you're located. A phone call to breast care nurses in hospitals in your area will give you an idea what the waiting lists are like in the public system where you are. Good luck, it's a lot of questions to ask and a lot of info to absorb, but hang in there, you'll get the info you need to make the best decision for your situation.
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:20 am

I went private but it was a long time ago. I had an absolutely fantastic team and was hardly out of pocket at all...breast surgeon and plastic surgeon both charged very little for the "gap"....only about $20.00 or so and surgeon said he operated at a few private hospitals and told me the one where I would be least out of pocket.

I appreciated it so much at the time but even more so when I read some of these posts! Its rare to get a Dr who thinks about your pocket instead of theirs!

Not sure if you can get quotes from other Drs. I certainly couldn't afford to pay the prices quoted here.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:55 am

I went private and yes it was expensive. I wish I had kept a running tally of everything it cost but I didn't. I know the original quote from the surgeon was around $10K and the anaesthetist was around $3k. This was however for a Diep reconstruction which was nearly 10 hours long. I did get some money back from my private health insurer but can't remember how much, sorry.

Personally I wouldn't do it any other way unless there were no other options. I think the follow up to my surgery was wonderful, luckily I didn't have too many problems, just a couple of little things and my doctor would see me for those within a day each time. The biggest difference seems to me to be access to your doctor. Mine told me that whilst you are given a doctor who you have all the pre appointments with, it doesn't necessarily mean he/she will be the one to do the surgery. They will be there but it may be someone else actually doing the surgery. I never saw anyone but my surgeon throughout the whole thing.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:55 pm

This is an Mruby_1 thread????
Debating public vs private reconstruction.
Further to my post, going public didn't cost me a cent:) I would have been out if pocket $18000 going private.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Moved as wished. :hugs:
Janette

Fighter13
Your Maj
Your Maj

Re: Public vs Private

Postby Fighter13 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Sorry this was supposed to be a reply to Mruby_1 post!! I am not sure how to move it!
[color=#FF00BF]Diagnosed 12/7/13 with Multi Focal (20 tumours over 10cms), 3/17 nodes,ER+,PR+,HER2-,Grade 2, ILC, 30/7/13 Lumpectomy & SNB, 20/8/13, RB Mx & ALNC 20/9/13, FEC X 3,Doceltaxel X 3,[color=#FF00BF] radiation for 5 weeks. Bi-lateral Salpingo Oophorectomy 17/11/14 was on Tamoxifen now Femera 6/12/14[/color][/color]

Fighter13
Your Maj
Your Maj

Public vs Private

Postby Fighter13 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:22 pm

I got 3 quotes to go private for my prophylactic mastectomy and bi-lateral reconstruction (Tram one side and Diep on the other) and they ranged in price from $23,000.00 to $40,000.00 out of pocket after Medicare & Private Health Insurance (I am in the top cover) so I have put my name down to have it done at a public hospital by one of the Plastic surgeons that gave me a quote. He advised me that the wait would be about 12 months and it has been nearly 7 months now. It will be completely free through the public system with the same plastic surgeon that was going to charge $23,000.00 out of pocket for private! The only difference is obviously the wait (around 12months) and not knowing when the surgery will be, although he did say he likes to give about 6 weeks notice. I have gone private for this whole cancer journey including my recent surgery which was a Bi-lateral Salpingo Oophorectomy so I don't feel too bad going public for the reconstruction, I just don't have that sort of money to pay for it. For me I am happy to wait as it also gives my chest wall time to recovery from the radiation. You really need to find out as much as you can yourself as most surgeons don't give out information on public reconstruction unless pressed. Good luck! :wave: Trula
[color=#FF00BF]Diagnosed 12/7/13 with Multi Focal (20 tumours over 10cms), 3/17 nodes,ER+,PR+,HER2-,Grade 2, ILC, 30/7/13 Lumpectomy & SNB, 20/8/13, RB Mx & ALNC 20/9/13, FEC X 3,Doceltaxel X 3,[color=#FF00BF] radiation for 5 weeks. Bi-lateral Salpingo Oophorectomy 17/11/14 was on Tamoxifen now Femera 6/12/14[/color][/color]

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:31 am

I saw a private plastic surgeon for advice but the surgery quote was out of my reach. She did say that they could refer me on to the local public hospital waiting list and sent me paperwork fir that. I had to wait 18 months but got the same surgeon. Your surgeon may not operate in the public system? My understanding is that they have to provide done time for public hospitals???? I could be wrong.
He may not recommend it (he loses money) but it is your choice in the end. If he won't do it, see someone else

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:29 pm

I went to public BC clinic for diagnosis, mastectomy surgery and had the expanders inserted by the BC surgeon, and not a Plastic Surgeon. The PS surgeon did the changeover to implants (he was in the theatre, whether he did it or his team?) and he did the fills at the public clinic. It was a long wait 14 months for me but not so long for others on this forum. It varies heaps, different states and hospitals.

I'm sure someone from Vic can give you better local information than I. Private is often expensive with out of pockets as you know. Good luck. :hugs:
Janette

Mruby_1
Guru
Guru

Breast Reconstruction - public or private?

Postby Mruby_1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Dear All

I would like to announce that I have no clue at all about a lot of things. I've had plastic surgery as a private patient (expander at same time as mastectomy) but we're out of pocket as private patients and I don't want to spend another cent! I asked my plastic surgeon if I could go on his public waiting list and he said no, it wouldn't be a good idea. How does the public system work to get a reconstruction? I'm happy to wait for a long time as I'm in no rush to have more surgery, and I don't mind which hospital. We're in Australia - the hospitals all seem great. One benefit of private was a private room post mastectomy but I don't see the value in paying thousands for this. I'd rather take my family on a beautiful holiday! I rang another surgeon and was told I'd have to attend a clinic day and would get whoever was around on the day. Is that so bad? I don't need fancy breasts, just enough to give me a normal shape again.

I'd love to hear from other about all of this. It's so hard to get information once you're in the system. I feel like the private system don't want to let me go! :ouch:

Return to “Reconstruction”