Question for ladies who had their reconstruction Public

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Yvonne
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Question for ladies who had their reconstruction Public

Postby Yvonne » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi Trula
I had my recon at same time as mastectomy (AFTER chemo and rads). Later I had nipple recon and later again, areola tatooing. All on public system. I don't remember having to wait much at all. Sadly, the nipple went flat very quickly and the tatooing faded a lot, but it still looks more normal than it did without.
Yvonne
1999 Chemo, Radio, Mastectomy & Reconstruction. Oct 2008 Mets to lungs, liver, spine, adrenal glands, spleen. 6 cycles docetaxol. Now on Femara and Zometa. April 2009 - decided the liver mets weren't mets!! Changed from Femara to Tamoxifen after suspected progression. Feb 2012 now on Aromasin.

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:56 am

I chose not to have a nipple recon, but I definitely could have had one if I'd wanted to. My surgeon only did the shaping part of it, they dont' do tattoos at my hospital. I got the impression that if I'd had the nipple recon, it wouldn't have been such a long wait, because it's like a follow-up procedure.

I had lots of questions like these leading up to my recon, so I got in touch with the breast care nurse at my hospital. She was happy to spend time explaining stuff to me, and it helped me enormously during the waiting period. Maybe there's a breast care nurse at your hospital?
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:07 pm

When my recon went pear shaped I was left lopsided so elected to have a reduction on my untouched breast as the least invasive option. I was category 2 for that which meant should be seen within 6 months while the recon was category 3... Should be seen in 12-18 months.
I was offered a nipple recon which would gave been another wait but by then I had had enough so chose not to. That would have been another category 2 I believe as by then I was in the system

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Trula,
All public for me. He was quite happy to do nipple recon and offered it from memory, under the public system and then he actually did the areola tatts himself for me also public. I had to go on a waiting list for it but not as long a wait as previous surgeries. He wanted to allow 3 months or may have been longer, can't remember, for the implants to settle before doing the nipples.

Please feel free to ask anything. The nipple surgery was day surgery and easy surgery.
Janette

Fighter13
Your Maj
Your Maj

Question for ladies who had their reconstruction Public

Postby Fighter13 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi All,

I have been wondering now that I am on the public waiting list for my reconstruction what happens if you want to have nipple reconstruction? Do you have to go back on the waiting list and wait around 12months or is this not covered under the public system and you have to go private? I can't seem to find any info online and I didn't think to ask my plastic surgeon and now won't be seeing him until just before my surgery which could be a while. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :wave: Trula
[color=#FF00BF]Diagnosed 12/7/13 with Multi Focal (20 tumours over 10cms), 3/17 nodes,ER+,PR+,HER2-,Grade 2, ILC, 30/7/13 Lumpectomy & SNB, 20/8/13, RB Mx & ALNC 20/9/13, FEC X 3,Doceltaxel X 3,[color=#FF00BF] radiation for 5 weeks. Bi-lateral Salpingo Oophorectomy 17/11/14 was on Tamoxifen now Femera 6/12/14[/color][/color]

Return to “Reconstruction”