I think I want a recon operation-

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: I think I want a recon operation-

Postby Janette » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Marydean checks in fairly often so will hopefully answer very soon. It's lovely to see you post. :hugs:
Janette

theoliversau
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby theoliversau » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:24 pm

I'm also considering a recon op. Had double mastectomy, Cheomo and then also had radiation on the one side which make straight implants difficult. Is lat dorsi very painfull? Results good?

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:35 am

Hi Horselover, I had an immediate recon (lat dorsi with a small implant) and I'm very happy with the results. But it can be a long process and things don't always go smoothly, so you need to weigh those risks up and make a decision that you feel comfortable with. Mine looks really just like my other breast, except with a scarline and no nipple. I get a lot of comments about it (from the mammogram ladies, nurses, etc) so I think it might be an above-average natural-looking result. But even if it hadn't looked quite as good, I still would have wanted to have the recon, because I really didn't want to have to lug a prosthesis around. For me, it was worth it because I think my daily physical comfort levels are higher with a recon than they would have been without it. Appearance-wise, I still have "cleavage" which wouldn't have been the case with a prosthesis and so I think I have more freedom with what I can wear than I would have had without a recon.

You might find it easier to make a decision if you talk to a surgeon about what sorts of recon you might be able to have. It will give you more of an idea of what sort of result you could get versus length/difficulty of the recovery.
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:59 pm

I can't speak highly enough my DIEP reconstruction. It is a very big operation and because I went private, very costly. I'm not sure how I would go having one now but I was so used to in and out of hospital etc., it was just like another setback. Ask lots of questions and be confident with the plastic surgeon you decide on.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:23 pm

HL
Tisssue in my abdomen after surgery turned black and died off (I think due to oxygen problems I had post surgery) The wound was grafted for 12 months then closed again. All good now. Scar is fading. Not much feeling there but easily liveable :D

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi Marin,
Good to see you post. I have given you access to the member's reconstruction photos. There are different methods of nipple construction and some of the photos show a couple of days after surgery. They shrink quite a lot. :hugs:
Janette

Marin
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Marin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:33 am

Hi Horselover
I am so glad that you did that question I know I have to wait at least another 6month to even apply for reconstruction or being able to get a referral from my doctor :bawl: I must say I miss my breast and I dont feel complete, even though I know is not the same I think it would be good for me can be any worst than :chemo: I hope.
Janette could you please allowed or give authority to access the photos as well on how we end up looking. I am just wondering how are they going to give as nipples :clap: :rose: :rose:
Juanita

horselover
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby horselover » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:53 pm

Very much appreciated Janette :hugs: :rose: :rose: :rose:
sing like no one can hear you
dance like no one is watching

with love from Sam

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:50 pm

I just approved your viewing our pic section. They are all real recons and all members.

viewforum.php?f=55
Janette

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:48 pm

No regrets here. Can take a little while in the public system but worth it for me. :hugs:
Janette

horselover
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby horselover » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:45 pm

Hi fellow chemo buddy- I just looked at your belly pic in your other thread- what was all that about and did the scar turn out OK? I am a bit worried now lol. You obviously came through it - Are there any picks anywhere of Boob jobs? BC ones I mean - not just random google ones -

with love from Sam

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Hi chemo buddy:)
I went through hell with my recon...anything that could go wrong did... But I will still say it was worth it. I can dress differently, shopping for clothes is easier, I have more confidence, I can go braless if I need to and not be lopsided! No more prosthesis to worry about.
If that's how you feel, go for it!

horselover
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

I think I want a recon operation-

Postby horselover » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi Its horselover here- going through some s%^t at the moment and I think I would like to look into a recon operation. I am curious about how different it can make you look and if it is worth the effort of the op, recovery and so on . :grouphug:

with love from Sam

Return to “Reconstruction”