BRAVA fat transfer augmentation..anyone

erint
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: BRAVA fat transfer augmentation..anyone

Postby erint » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi Janette
The info seems to indicate about 20% loss at time of transfer, and possible loss over time, but as it's a new procedure they aren't sure of the long term changes. I have been told that it can be redone to increase volume, and that appears to be something which could be repeated a number of times, to bring it up to a desired size, and then later to "refill" if the volume decreased over time.
I am not too concerned about the z plasties, apart from the hospital thing. I have realised I am a bit phobic now. I used to be very gung ho about surgery, but my thyroid op took a lot out of me, and now I would look for non surgical options wherever possible. I also have a very sensitive almost 13 year old who worries a lot about my health, and she gets very worried if I go to hospital even for an endoscopy.
I think it's mostly that it's happened much faster than I had expected, and I just want to be sure why I am doing it (and who for). The forum is very good to help us get our heads straight :)
Erin

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi Erin,
Does the body absorb the new tissue or fat would be my question? I know the procedure is available but I really haven't looked into it at all, so know zilch about it.

From your post there seems more positives than negatives. I've had Zplasties on a keloid scar. It increased the area or length of the scar, but I had no choice as it restricted my movement. My mastectomy scars didn't keloid at all.

I hope it goes really well if you decide to go ahead. :hugs:
Janette

erint
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby erint » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:16 pm

So I am looking for some input from anyone and everyone on this subject. I have been quite happy living with my double mastectomies. Haven't found the prostheses too annoying, other than the sweating on the chest wall when I exercise. Of course there is also the need to keep necklines higher, and find comfortable bras or crops, which could hold a prosthesis. But all in all, quite manageable. Haven't had any issues with my self esteem from not having boobs, didn't really miss them.
I did look into recon the year after my treatment (bilateral tram flap) but ultimately didn't go ahead due to risks, cost, keloid scarring issues I have, invasiveness of procedure, long recovery time, not being able to get a "C" cup unless I also had implants, and I really didn't like the recon surgeon. As I said I have been ok with that decision until now.
So what has changed is that BRAVA is now available in Australia, and more importantly, in SA, at Flinders Hospital- 5 mins away from where I live. They are currently doing a funded study, so I went to find out about the procedure, and walked out with forms to fill in to be included in the study. I am still a bit shellshocked, and am working through the reasons to do it, and the reasons I might be reluctant to change the status quo. I'd really appreciate it if you guys (girls/women whichever you are more comfortable with) could throw out some questions, to help me with this.
I have some pamphlets with good info in them, but am hoping you can help me think of things that might not have been addressed, so I can ask the questions before I sign up.
a couple of positives:
- fully funded, no cost to me
- would start as soon as I want
- minimal down time - day procedures, and some procedures done under local and sedation rather than general anaesthesia
- I would get lipo on my fat areas
- non invasive, unlikely to leave large keloid scars
- my own tissue
- can be done more than once if the boobs are not full enough
- will be helping to bring this procedure to other women if the trial is successful
- improved circulation and sensation to the chest wall, particularly on the radiated side

Probably some others I can't think of right now.

a couple of negatives:
- it's dragged up the whole "I had breast cancer, and had drs in my face for months" thing for me again (I quite like flying under the medical radar)
- I will have to have my scars revised first - horizontal scars don't stretch well, so they would be redone to form a "Z" shape which lends itself well to expanding. This means some minor surgery (local and sedation), and a day in hospital again.

Again, probably more I can't think of right now

I'm not sure how I feel about having boobs again. It seems weird, I know, but I have been without them for 6 1/2 years, so having boobs again seems almost alien to me.

So anyway, please give me your thoughts, questions, anything. I know this is a great opportunity, I just want to be sure it's a good decision for me.

thanks
Erin

Bambi
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Bambi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks Carmel, your description was fantastic. Happily I did not receive radiation. Currently having difficulty ascertaining how long it would last before my body chest eats it! Lots to learn before decision to be made, as my daughter keeps saying...it's not a race.

Have a great weekend all, I will be busy injecting and tagging cows and calves this weekend, strange it's still breast related ...well udders lol x

carmie
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby carmie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:58 pm

I'd really like to see down the track on Radiated skin/muscle, I have been led to believe by several medical professionals that radiated tissue/skin just doesn't stretch back to what it was before, that it became more like scar tissue (I think of it like melted plastic that has shrunk & hardened as it cooled !!) If someone could stretch my pec muscle back to how it was before radiation I would be absolutely over the moon !!!!
Good Luck Bambi

Carmel
Carmel

Dx 31/05/11, RB skin sparing mast with silicone implant 21/6, DCIS approx 15cm, IDC 3cm grade 2 stage 2 ; 2/13 nodes, ER/PR+,HER2-, Ki-67+ : TAC x6, Radiation x28. Hormone therapy to follow. Tamoxifen May 2012- July 2012 - Stroke July 2012 switch to Femara Oct 2012

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:27 am

The results look good. I do wonder if further down the track they retain the volume?
Janette

Bambi
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Bambi » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:02 am

Brava is the device to stretch the skin to enable fat transfer without implants..check out this link the photos give me hope

http://www.miamibreastcenter.com/recons ... ter-photos.

My photos more closely resemble no.7 but with over 2 1/2 feet of incisions running under arm, down side in addition to straight cut across chest, but boy she looks good

Bambi
Wise one
Wise one

Postby Bambi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:51 pm

Thanks jezza. Finding the cosmetic s is the beginning. I have spoken with one in Brisbane and sent photos off for review which is great meaning if not at all possible I have saved paying for consult. I have another to try in Sydney :clap:

I will keep all here advised how I go

Stay well brave strong survivors x

carmie
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby carmie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:06 pm

Jezza, the surgeon I see isn't even a Plastic Surgeon, he is a breast surgeon, as I think I've said in the past he is now (I'm pretty sure) the only Breast Surgeon doing Public in the ACT who can do recon as well. There is another guy who operated on my huge heamatoma in Nov 2012 who is is breast surgeon but apparently he is not trained in recon, I think he is mainly in Emergency medicine (surgery). To be honest I had never heard of any of it until the day of my implant exchange & he had added lipofirming to the surgery papers so he could do it if he thought he needed to without nurses etc questioning what was going on.I have signed papers for the next lot of fat transfer, sometime after the middle of May (how long's a piece of string ???) I hope that it it's not too long !

Ruth I'm not sure how the fat is going that he transferred in the op in Feb, I honestly can't tell where it is or whether its changed since then. My breast has been a bit red but not hot or itchy (no feeling anyway) & I asked when I saw him a few weeks back & he wasn't concerned, I did have a thought a few days ago, I wondered could it be a slight reaction to the polyurethane coating on the implant (aka a furry brazilian) Maybe I will email the Breast Care Nurse & ask her to find out. I'm sure he told me what shape implant it is but I can't remember.
Carmel

Dx 31/05/11, RB skin sparing mast with silicone implant 21/6, DCIS approx 15cm, IDC 3cm grade 2 stage 2 ; 2/13 nodes, ER/PR+,HER2-, Ki-67+ : TAC x6, Radiation x28. Hormone therapy to follow. Tamoxifen May 2012- July 2012 - Stroke July 2012 switch to Femara Oct 2012

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Carmel, I had this done 2nd implant replacement and my body reabsorbed all of it so it failed. He replaced with a larger implant on the last attempt but now wants to have another go with a new implant which is a different shape to older models. He feels the shape might suit my chest cavity better. After 3 surgeries I am waiting for a while before going back for more.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Thanks Carmel...its so valuable to share info like this and good that plastic surgeons are offering it. Its great that new procedures are being used and I hope it works out well for you. I'm sure you will keep us informed. I didn't know it could be used with an implant...but then again I obviously don't know much about it at all!

Sounds like recon is a long road for you. ((( )))

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:14 pm

I cannot help with information but want to wish you luck with your investigations.
I was very happy that I had a reconstruction (single mastectomy) it is much easier to get dressed or go braless now and I gave more confidence again.
Good luck and please keep us posted.

carmie
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby carmie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:07 pm

I'm not sure about the "BRAVA" bit but my breast surgeon is in the process of doing fat transfer for my breast. I had mastectomy with immed. implant recon nearly 3 years ago now.....short story is, radiation, then capsular contracture left it in a mess. I have just had my breast implant (silicone) replaced & because of contracture issues have had to have a much smaller implant, so with the "space" between the muscle & the skin he is going to do some lipofirming (at least I think that what it was called) which is sucking out some fat from my lower belly & injecting it in the breast to try & bring my inframammary fold down about an inch or so. He did some when he did the replacement, but apparently it needs to be done slowly to see how much "lives" & how much is reabsorbed into the body......
He just called it lipofirmming but I'm sure I've also heard it called liposculpting..........does this sound familiar ?? Happy to answer any questions if I can.
Carmel

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Gosh Bambi...I often say that between all of us here we have gone through just about everything to do with breast cancer and recon but I don't think I've seen anyone mention BRAVA fat transfer. I have read about it of course and have seen it mentioned on American forums but I don't know of anyone on this forum who have been offered it for reconstruction.

Please others post if I am wrong here.

I would be really interested to know how you get on with your research and what your plastic surgeon has to say.

Good luck with it all. I found having recon helped me to move on and not having to worry about prosthetics is a real bonus although others seem to find that is the way to go for them.

Hope that you enjoy the forum...join in anywhere!

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Bambi
Wise one
Wise one

BRAVA fat transfer augmentation..anyone

Postby Bambi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:26 pm

Good afternoon all, brand new to this wonderful forum today having spent too many hours on the net surfing for all things breast cancer having undergone a double radical mastectomy 12 months ago and now looking to have some kind of normal again and by normal I mean less pain, less obvious..the cancer is gone but looking down will remind me all my life..my upper body is concave and has more lumps and bumps than the moon. Nothing looks good, prosthetics too uncomfortable and hot, bras just roll up to my neck...

Been looking into BRAVA fat transfer to smooth me out and then hopefully have some tiny little breasts to help fill a dress or tee shirt even. This technique is being used well in the US currently..so ladies anyone here had or know of this....just beginning my research myself so any help appreciated, many thanks, stay well and strong.

Return to “Reconstruction”