BRAVA fat transfer augmentation..anyone

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: BRAVA fat transfer augmentation..anyone

Postby Marydean » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:49 pm

Amazing, Just amazing. I hope it continues to go smoothly, that it's not too uncomfortable, and that you're well on your way to getting a fantastic result.
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ruth1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:42 pm

well done Erin, sounds quite painful though. Those small handfuls sound very encouraging and I am really happy that you are getting some shape back. Hope you feel fully recovered soon. :clap:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

erint
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby erint » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Just popping in to say I am on the improve after the lipo and fat grafting. I have some very impressive bruises from about shoulder height to mid thigh, in various stages of healing. Pain was pretty reasonable, considering how much of me was involved. Bruising is sore if poked (DUH!) and when I have been sitting still too long, chest gets sore if I drive, so only doing the school run, and only from yesterday when John went back to work.
Post - op Brava use was delayed a few days from Thursday to Saturday due to soreness initially, then due to the dressings on the individual stitches which stopped the Brava from achieving a seal. Once i had removed the dressings it was all fine, and is actually helping to clear the bruising in the chest area, as well as maintaining the shape we want the fat to settle into. In the morning when I take the Brava off I have small mounds that fit into my hand. Not quite the boobs I am hoping for yet, but exciting none the less. The surgeon managed to transfer about 200ml (3/4 cup?) into each side which she said is pretty good. My left (rad) side is still pretty tight, the scar is quite firmly stuck to the chest wall, but we are hoping it will soften up with further Brava use. I get the stitches out on Thursday, and will update then.
Thanks for all the good wishes :)
Erin

Kerrie
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby Kerrie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:29 am

Hi Erin.
So interesting reading your post. Sounds like a much better alternative to major breast reconstruction although by the sounds of it certainly not without its own difficulties.
Good luck with the next procedure and I look forward to hearing how you go and seeing pictures.
So great for new ladies trying to decide what sort of reconstruction to go ahead with to be able to read of your experience :heart:
DX Oct 2009. 15mm tumour. Grade 2 Stage 2. 2/18 nodes pos. OES/PROG + HER -

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:40 pm

Erin,
Thank you for paving the way for others to undertake this with reliable research to base their decisions on. :hugs:
Janette

erint
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby erint » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks everyone. :hugs:
It's hard to be a mum, I do understand where she is coming from. My girls (4 of them) always come first, as it should be. I just would have liked to be able to focus on how I feel about this change, instead of being distracted by helping her work it out.
It is an important study, they are going to be assessing the results (along with any difficulties we experience) with a view to a proposal for it to be a legitimate recon method funded by Medicare (current data is mostly produced by the place that hold the patent, so is not considered very objective). It's certainly not a quick fix, the time commitment has been pretty draining, and I am really hoping to have a good result on Wednesday, cos if I want "C" cups again, it will take a number of procedures. I did hear that some of the other participants only did one, as they found the whole thing pretty gruelling.
Today and tomorrow are interesting. I have to wear the Brava 48 hours straight before the lipo/fat transfer. Usually I wear it at night, and haven't ventured out in public. Had to take my mum to the Dr today. Had trouble reversing the car, buckling my seatbelt, and my shoulders are sore from the weight. If I square my shoulders I look like Dolly Parton (in the boobs anyway) and if I don't they ache from the weight. Can't win. And it's pretty funny watching people's reactions when the little power pack cuts in to increase the suction. Sounds like a vibrator :pmsl:
Tomorrow I can be home for most of the day, have to go the hospital for an MRI in the afternoon, but have to wear the Brava in there, and put back on afterwards, if I can't get it back on on my own (usually takes 2 of us) I will have to work out how to carry it out with me (not easy as it's pretty bulky, and needs to be kept clean so the silicone stays sticky)
Am looking forward to a good sleep on Wednesday, if nothing else, anaesthesia is great for helping me catch up on lost z's. I am getting pretty good at sleeping in the recliner, but am finding it very hard to sleep in our bed when I don't have the Brava on.
Will keep you all posted, and thanks again for the support. It's something you can't get from people who haven't been there

Erin

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:10 am

Erin, really hope it all goes well for you. Don't let teenage daughter affect you - this is part of treatment and necessary for all kinds of reasons to look and feel a bit more like you used to. It does affect the kids though too and my daughter is the same at 17 - still gets a bit crazy when I have to have ops.

I have had 2 rounds of lipo to try and fix probs with implants. My tummy was all colours for a while and a bit of pain for a week but not too hard. Maybe pain is a very subjective thing but I felt a bit more than jus an intense workout. Perhaps its also a matter of how much lipo is done too.

Good luck for fantastic outcome.
:hugs:
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:27 am

Erin :hug: Wishing you all the very best with this. I hope it all "takes" and you get a fabulous result for your efforts.
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:33 pm

Hoping all goes smoothly on Wednedsay Erin. Your daughter is scared as my girls were when I went through treatment and major surgery. understandable but hard on you.
I am very interested to hear how this goes. This is ground breaking for our forum :wink:

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:51 pm

Erin,
That has to be so difficult with your daughter, but you have a need to be comfortable and feel as normal as you can. Hopefully she will accept that once it's done if not before. :hugs:
Janette

erint
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby erint » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks Janette. I am really hoping for a good outcome. My 13 year old has given me a lot of grief over it. Apparantly I promised her some time again that i wouldn't voluntarily go to hospital again, so now I am dealing with her angst over all the possible things that could go wrong (instead of being able to focus on myself - tell me why did I want children?)
I am really looking forward to be able to exercise without getting all soggy behind my "foobs" in hot weather, and being able to choose a top with ascooped neckline, without having to worry about how low it goes.
Will keep you posted

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:09 pm

I wish you the best for Wednesday Erin. I'm fascinated with this recon method. I know very little about it apart from the lipo and fat transfer?

I've had z-plasty so know what you describe. It does work well or did in my case for a keloid scar.

Please let us know how it all goes. :hugs:
Janette

erint
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby erint » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi All
have been meaning to post a follow up, but time keeps getting away from me. I decided to go ahead with the Brava reconstruction. Had to have a scar revision known as Z-plasty in December just before Christmas. It helps to make the skin stretch better, much the same as zig zag stitch is used for stretch in sewing (or so I am told) Two months to heal and then started using the Brava the middle of February. 10 hrs per day (I do it at night, it's pretty cumbersome, and makes Dolly Parton look small busted) for 4 weeks, 48 hrs constantly before lipo and fat transfer. First procedure is scheduled for Wednesday next week (I think it's likely to be 3 in total to achieve the size I want - a "C" would be about what I used to be). I have been taking photos, and am planning to post about it properly down the track.
It's a pretty big commitment I am finding. Sleeping is difficult as you can't roll over, so I am sleeping in a very comfy recliner. But it means I am not sleeping with John, so there is a downside. I have had some problems with blisters from friction, and am feeling a bit like a new mum from sleep deprivation. However at about the 2 week mark I could see the skin expanding and puffing out. My rad side has a small area over the scar (about 3/4 inch) which is still tightly against the chest wall, so I can really see how much the rest has expanded out.
I have bought two very fetching post surgical garments for after the lipo. 4-6 weeks I think is how long I have to wear them. Anybody else had lipo? I am not sure what to expect, the Miami Breast Centre website says something about "feeling like I have had an intense workout" whatever that means.
Anyway will post more later, but wish me luck for next Wednesday :)

Erin

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:08 am

It sounds like a much simpler, safer procedure than major reconstructive surgery. I have only scanned the posts here. I wish it had been an option for me 3 years ago. I will be watching this thread with interest.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:30 am

Erin,
The forum is great as a sounding board for sure. I've always thought your head was pretty straight, and on the ball. Sometimes something just feels right, falls into place, and sometimes it feels wrong. Just a gut instinct to go by. The phobic thing is a worry, not sure if "getting back on the horse helps" or avoidance.

Please let us know what you decide. :hugs:
Janette

Return to “Reconstruction”