Ruptured Silicon implants

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: Ruptured Silicon implants

Postby Janette » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:31 pm

That's really bad luck to rupture your implant. My PS told me that the silicone implants if ruptured stayed pretty much together. He actually had a part of one and you could feel the silicone and it seemed to gell together and didn't come away at all.

Good luck with your decision lot's here have had the flaps. :hugs:
Janette

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Is there a reason the surgeon didn't suggest a replacement implant? Or did you have a preference for an alternative procedure?
I have had a Tram a Flap if you gave any questions but I did have a few major problems I will warn you :hugs:

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ruth1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi Jo, sorry this h happened to you. I too have implants. I am wondering if the Surgeon was talking abut doing a tram flap reconstruction or diep procedure which is similar. It involves taking tissue from your tummy to reconstruct breast with - seen some pics of great results but its big surgery. Sorry but I cant answer your question about whether silicone rupture causes cancer. I have read that there was research done 1990's and the outcome was negative for causing cancer. If the silicon leaks to the lymph nodes there is a bodily response which forms a granuloma preventing the substance from going further. I read all of this before deciding to have mine done. Hope you get it all fixed soon.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Welcome back Jo! Actually I just sent you another PM before I read your post below.

The recon from tummy is certainly a big op (and recovery time) and quite a few on here have had it done. I'm sure they'll answer any questions that you have. Our Recon. section which may not have been started when you last accessed the forum has lots of good info.

My neighbour had a silicone implant rupture and had it replaced. Interestingly she received no charge from her Drs. I think the implant had only been in for a year or two.

I know there have been a lot of studies done re problems/ diseases caused by leaking silicone and I'm pretty sure cancer has always been ruled out. I'm sure you're googling away (as we all do!!). Make sure you go to legit sites.

I can understand how you would forget all the things you meant to ask after being told that....so unexpected. Did he give you an option of another implant?

What's your next step. If it is giving you pain it certainly should be investigated to rule out infection etc.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Betty Boop xx

Ruptured Silicon implants

Postby Betty Boop xx » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi My name is Jo and I was diagnosed in 2006. I lost this site for a while and have just found it after hours of searching.

In 2006 I had a core biopsy of a mass, found pre cancer tissue had mastectomy left side. Six months or so later had prophylactic mastectomy on right side so as to lessen chances of Lobular Cancer and regain my balance ( I had big boobs). Had tissue expanders and then silicon implants.

My question is my left side has ruptured and leaking silicon and very painful. It has not deflated in fact it is swollen. Is there any chance that the leakage could turn into cancer?

I returned to see my original PS he did a examination and said how's your tummy? He proceeded to tell me all about a tummy tuck and reconstruction which I was not expecting. This threw me and made me forget all the questions to ask I forgot to write them down :crybaby: . I believe this surgeon was just wanting to make a $ out of me $200 later and I'm not sure this is the right way to go its a big deal.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks Jo Glad to be back

Return to “Reconstruction”