What to expect with tissue expander expansions??

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MariaJ
Guru
Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What to expect with tissue expander expansions??

Postby MariaJ » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 pm

My goodness Janette, 14 months with expanders in ,that's just awful. I didn't think they could stay in that long!

I am lucky I will have the exchange in 2 weeks. I just hope there's no complications........ and they turn out natural looking so no one even notices them.

Ruth1- There certainly is a difference between the cosmetic implant procedure and the reconstruction after mastectomy!!! Can you imagine going through any of this by choice. Show me those judgmental turkeys :ouch:

I simply want to feel feminine again, and regain some of my lost self esteem and confidence.

I finished treatment last week so I also hope to get my port out at the same time as it pokes out of my chest like an alien. The nurses loved it as they couldn't miss it, and for that I am grateful.
Dx LBC Feb2013 IDC + DCIS Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+ Wide Excision then LB Mastectomy . 12 x weekly taxol chemo, 12 months herceptin due to finish march 2014. Prophylactic RB Mastectomy Nov 2013 . Bilateral expanders Nov2013

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:01 am

Hi Maria, I had implants done same time as mastectomy so avoided the medieval torture device. I chose implants for several reasons - main one was I figured they were the simplest form of recon and would also be the simplest to remove in case of recurrence which I considered at the time because of family history. I thought if I had a complex recon like tram or diep and it recurred then all that work would have to be taken out with further surgery. I am happy with implants but I have had them replaced twice because of contracture. I thought it would be simple but it isn't as easy as I figured. I do have pain and they feel like rocks sometimes but I don't think I would change if I had the choice again. Pain isn't that bad - I don't often take meds for it. Fatigue seems to affect it too. It feels tight as well sometimes. I certainly fail to see why people view this as an opportunity to inflate bust size. There is a difference between the cosmetic implant procedure and the reconstruction after mastectomy when there is no breast tissue to hold the implants in place. Good luck with yours.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:57 pm

I have silicone implants and they feel much better than expanders did. I'm happy with them. I had to wait 14 months for my changeover. Good luck tomorrow. :hugs:
Janette

MariaJ
Guru
Guru

Postby MariaJ » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 pm

My tissue expanders have been in for 4 months now and fully expanded for 2months. I have been really pleased with how my "lemons are turning into lemonade" but since they have been full they look and feel like cricket balls jammed under my skin and have been soooo uncomfortable. My PS calls them medieval torture devices and I think she is right!

Tomorrow I find out when I can have them swapped for the implants - and hopefully it will be soon!

So who has had implants? How do they feel? Are you happy with them?
Dx LBC Feb2013 IDC + DCIS Stage 1, Grade 2, HER2+ Wide Excision then LB Mastectomy . 12 x weekly taxol chemo, 12 months herceptin due to finish march 2014. Prophylactic RB Mastectomy Nov 2013 . Bilateral expanders Nov2013

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:50 pm

I did aerobics when I felt comfortable a few weeks after the op. .....as Janette says ask your Dr but I'm sure they will say the same thing. I don't think anyone asked me how big I was going to be....gosh..I wouldn't have known what to say. I did get some weird questions though. There is actually a thread here somewhere about the stupid things people say!

lol about the reaching to undo your bra strap...only someone who had had expanders would know that feeling!!!

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:53 am

Maria,
There is a small degree of choice but your frame generally restricts how big you can go. Implants only have a degree of projection according to the base measurement as I understand it. This may have changed but was the case a few years ago. My PS really chose what was best for me and that's probably a good answer. I think it is every woman's dream to choose their breast size, maybe explains their fascination.

Check with your PS about the exercise to be sure, but I had no restriction after the initial healing.

We do have and have had some amazing ladies on this forum. :hugs:
Janette

MariaJ
Guru
Guru

Postby MariaJ » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:33 pm

Great advice thanks Jezza! I also have that feeling of wearing a really tight bra and find myself reaching to undo the strap that is not there!

Another question for you lovely ladies is what to say to people when they ask their one and only question " so what size are you getting???" honestly I don't know why this bothers me so much but it does. :ouch: Surely people can think of a better question or just say something encouraging. It's as though BC is just something you have just been "busy with " and then you go shopping and buy some boobs off the shelf! I think I have just become toooo sensitive :crybaby: this year because I want to say "none of your business !". To be honest I don't even know yet myself as my PS said from the beginning she will make them perfectly proportioned to my body and nor do I care as I am just so grateful to be getting some at all, and to be through the worst of this years #%€$ !!

Also what about swimming/jogging/exercising in general with the expanders in? I am still at the stage where only slow walking is comfortable but if these are going to be in for anther couple of months -how much is possible? I find that my mood really suffers without some regular exercise.

I just want to say how truly amazing the women on this forum are- I have been reading many of the threads/stories and the courage, support and kindness is so inspirational. I wish I had found it back in Feb.

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:52 pm

Yes slowly does it...I found it a bit uncomfortable for a while afterwards but as I've said here before..one time when my PS was on holidays I had another plastic surgeon. When I said that I was feeling fine after a fill he asked if I wanted a bit more. Foolishlty I said yes...thinking the quicker I get to the size I want the better. WRONG! I have never been in so much pain. He should have known better.

I told my regular PS about it and she said you can always wait in the waiting room afterwards and if the pain is bad some saline can be taken out. It sounds like your Dr is being cautious which is good.

My expanders just felt very firm...like I was wearing a tight bra even when I wasn't wearing any.Sometimes I had to feel just to make sure...it felt so much like I had something tight on. I wouldn't say it was too uncomfortable though except for sleeping on the night of the fill when it felt a bit achey.

Worth it though!!

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:37 pm

:wave: hi Maria,I am glad to hear all went well today....Rosa

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Maria,
Sounds like it went well. I think I got about 90mls a fortnight. I started with 100mls at time of surgery so wasn't completely flat after surgery.
Janette

MariaJ
Guru
Guru

Postby MariaJ » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks Janette,

Sounds like a similar experience as I have no fat on my torso at all (my body has always wanted to store my excess in other places unfortunately) so there is no padding which doesn't help.

Due to this my dr wanted to stop at 50ml today and see how I go with that this week. It was a bit of a weird experience but really didn't hurt at all. Like you I was a bit excited to be making some progress. Surprisingly that small amount actually added some shape! It's hard to feel feminine with a ridiculously short hair cut and a completely flat chest, now I can't wait till next week! :)

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi Maria,
I can only describe my pain with the expanders felt like I was wearing an underwire bra with razor blades instead of underwire. I was quite thin at the time so that probably made it worse. The discomfort lasted a while but I didn't really notice when it ceased being so uncomfortable.

With the fills, they were easy, caused a feeling of pressure for a few hours, and no pain or real discomfort. My last 2 were uncomfortable, but it lasted for a few hours only. I was really excited about getting the fills and watching them grow.

I hope Wednesday goes well for you, try not to be too worried about it. :hugs:
Janette

MariaJ
Guru
Guru

What to expect with tissue expander expansions??

Postby MariaJ » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi! :wave:

Can anyone share their experience of being expanded please?

I am currently 3 1/2 weeks post op and will be having my first expansion this wed. I am finding them very uncomfortable and sore. Do they feel awful until they are swapped for implants?
Is it painful at the time or does that come afterwards? I have been told the amount that is put in can vary between 50ml to 100 ml depending on how I go with it.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Return to “Reconstruction”