Lat Dorsi Recon

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MagicKiwi
Your Maj
Your Maj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Lat Dorsi Recon

Postby MagicKiwi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi Chrissie,

I had my surgery in August and my exchange surgery in January.

I made an error in my post yesterday - I meant to say they will want to get you on your feet as soon as possible. Also the catheter is for going to the loo, not the port in your forearm for drugs.

I had a sentinel node biopsy as well as the mastectomy and lat dorsi at the same time. Exercise went well, I am getting very confident with my arm movements now.

X

Gail
Forum Legend

Postby Gail » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:01 am

Chrissy, have a look on Community breast cancer, they have a huge knowledge base.
"You Gotta Laugh!"

Gail

Diagnosed April 2006,Lumpectomy,17 of 25 nodes positive, chemo, radiation. Finished treatment March 07
Diagnosed July 2012 cancer of mediastinal(nodes around lungs and heart)pelvis and spine. Up for the fight!

chrissie
Guru
Guru

Postby chrissie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks so much MK!

When did you have your surgery?

I will call my anesthetist to ask about the catheter in the arm. That makes sense. The one in the hand always makes me feel nauseous!

Havent been told about any compression garments so will ask my breast care nurse tomorrow.

Not sure about bra's either... assuming I will have to wear one.

Really appreciate your feedback, hope your exercise went well!

C. x :heart:

MagicKiwi
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby MagicKiwi » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi Chrissie,

I haven't had both done but there's ladies in here who have and will respond in time.

I had my lat dorsi seven months ago with expander. The things that worked well was firstly, I had a pre-med before going into surgery. I didn't have one of these for any of my other surgeries - possibly because they weren't as major as this one or possibly because I have had different anethytists (sp?) each time. But it certainly calms the nerves and relaxes you. The other thing that worked well in that space is that I had the port for my drugs on the top of my fore-arm, not underneath or in my hand. Once again, this is at the whim of whatever anethytist. Makes it so much easier to wash your hands as you may have the port in for a week or more.

Secondly, you will have a dressing on your back which you will be lying on for a while. Make sure you have no allergies to the dressing. I still have scars from that dressing as it took quite a bit of skin off - to add to the other scars :ouch: .

Thirdly, the usual I guess with the magic drugs. They will want to get you off your feet fairly soon and you're not going to want to go. If you have a catheter and having both sides done I can't imagine that you wouldn't, keep it as long as possible :pmsl: . All jokes aside, it will be a struggle to get to the loo.

As to recovery, I'm only small chested so I only had one fill. My back is still tender to touch but I feel it recovering and getting better by the week. You just have to be patient. If you have a partner, get them to massage your back with moisturiser - be a bit brutal - to keep the scar from sticking to the bone. My husband did this for me twice a day about six weeks after I came out of hospital (I wore a compression garment for the week I was in hospital and six weeks after I came out). By the way, if your plastic surgeon wants you to wear this, buy two of them as you'll obviously need to swap them. It's also a 24 hour a day ordeal but keeps everything compacted nicely together. After about a month, the massage went to once a day and another month once a week. Still getting a Sunday morning back massage :biggrin:.

I am going back to normal exercise today (as opposed to stretches and low level stuff). I am very happy with the results.

That's all I can think of for now - best the bi-lats come in and fill you in on their experiences as they'll have more information on what that's like. If I think of anything else, however small, I'll come back to you.

Take care,
MK.

chrissie
Guru
Guru

Lat Dorsi Recon

Postby chrissie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:33 am

Hi Girls

Am due for bi-lat mastectomy in two weeks with lat dorsi and implants recon.

Anyone here had same?
Anything you think would be useful to know?
Each time I ask this question, I get really interesting, new information about all kinds of things so I really appreciate if there was anything you might like to share with me.

Particularly interested in the recovery...
Not sure if nodes involved yet, having SNB while under.

Thank you, as always. :heart:

Return to “Reconstruction”