Expander Surgery

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Expander Surgery

Postby JudyB » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Oh Aussie, that would be the pits. I hope you have better luck next month.

:hugs:
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:03 am

I'm so sorry to hear that Aussie. I know I would be pretty distressed waiting and keying myself up for surgery to have is called off like that. I know it happens and is the public health system. Better to have a surgeon when he is fresh I guess, looking at the positives.

I hope it goes better next time. :hugs:
Janette

aussie12
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby aussie12 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:49 pm

Hi all
Bad news, my surgery got cancelled !!! I was at the hospital at 11am and was told my surgery was at 2pm and then at 5pm they said it was cancelled. The surgery before mine took longer and then the Doctor couldn't get enough staff to do mine.

Hopefully I'll get it done next month as the Doctor works at that hospital only 1 day every month.

I was lucky that work cancelled my holidays and I was back at work on Wednesday as they were short staffed. All though I was having surgery I was looking forward to holidays as well, so very annoyed.

I suppose there's not much that I can do as I'm going through the public hospital system.

Will keep you updated as I get any good news.

aussie12
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby aussie12 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 am

Hi all
Have to go tomorrow for pre surgery clinic, thought I might be able to do it over the phone as I filled in questioner but they want me to go in.
Skettie I was in 10 days last time for expander surgery, I too had too much fluid and the Doctor wouldn't let me out.

Skettie
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Skettie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Definitely take your laptop Aussie... And books, magazines etc. I was told 2-3 days for my exchange and ended up in for 8! Nothing went wrong I was just extra fluidy! Stupid drains!!
Good luck!

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Gee that was quick, all the best. I'd get copies of photos as you'll probably want to look in years to come
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:00 pm

That's great, not a long wait. I hope the surgery goes well. :hugs:
Janette

aussie12
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby aussie12 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:22 am

Hi all
I got my surgery date !!! Tuesday 1st October for my implant. I got a letter to say I was on a waiting list but I haven't had to wait too long.
I'm going to a different hospital this time, Osborne Park Hospital, I've heard it's much smaller and very nice so will be kind of looking forward to it.
I am going to take my laptop in this time as I will be there 3 to 4 days so will let you all know how it all goes.

aussie12
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby aussie12 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi all
I went and saw my Plastic Surgeon on Monday, he decided what implant size to use in the surgery. He said my surgery will be in a few months and again I will have a drain and will have to stay in hospital for at least 3 or 4 days. I had some more photos taken as well, I asked if I could get copies of all the photos they've taken, I can if I want, not sure yet but might be interesting to look at them all.
I still try to sleep on my left side but can't stay there for long as it's quite uncomfortable, maybe once my implant is in it will be better.

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby SueM44 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:56 pm

Great advice from Jezza, make sure you tell them you were very sick last time as there are lots of different drugs they can use.
:xfingers: it goes well.
I can sleep on my side now but laying on my tummy feels weird even when exercising ( during pilates)
The tightness goes but I have one lower than the other and both are quite tight. Scar tissue can develop around the implant that creates ths feeling.......lots of massaging to help this has helped me ease this.
:hugs:
Sue :)
dx Jan 2010 7mm IDC Grade 2. ER+ PR+ HER- had WLE and SNB in Jan followed by 30 rads. Hysterectomy May 2010. Genetic testing revealed BRCA 2 September 2010
Bilateral Mastectomy & Immediate Reconstruction Nov 2011

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:36 pm

No trouble sleeping here...I even sleep on my stomach at times. Getting expanders out is a huge relief...

Gosh I hope you don't suffer as much after your next op. Did you tell the anesthetist before the op? Make sure you stress it this time as it doesn't seem right that you should feel so sick. He may be able to use a different drug that would help.I was really sick after my first op (many years ago..not bc) I woke up feeling fine and asked for something to eat..had a big plate of sandwiches and ORANGE juice...WRONG!!! As I was vomiting a nurse said...orange juice...does it every time (thanks for telling me!).

I am very wary now...chipped ice for me.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:44 am

I slept on my back for over 2 years and still find side sleeping can be uncomfy at times. Just me though, and a lot to do with the bed I think, others don't seem to have any problems.
Janette

aussie12
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby aussie12 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:28 am

Janette I hope the implants are more comfortable as I wouldn't want this expander in for the rest of my life. I've actually just this week started to lay on expander side when in bed, I have a bad flu and when I lay on my left side I don't cough as much.

Sue, both my surgeries so far I've been really sick afterwards, even last time I had medication to stop the sickness, I was still sick. Hopefully this time I won't be as I've got no sick leave left at work, only holiday pay so can't afford heaps of time off work.

Have a great weekend

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby SueM44 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:12 am

And the implant surgery is a much shorter, easier ( if there is such a thing as easy surgery) surgery.
Hope things continue to go well :grouphug:
Sue :)
dx Jan 2010 7mm IDC Grade 2. ER+ PR+ HER- had WLE and SNB in Jan followed by 30 rads. Hysterectomy May 2010. Genetic testing revealed BRCA 2 September 2010
Bilateral Mastectomy & Immediate Reconstruction Nov 2011

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:05 am

The implants are much more comfortable. Good feeling to get the recon done and move on. :hugs:
Janette

Return to “Reconstruction”