my reconstruction journey

melp
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: my reconstruction journey

Postby melp » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:33 pm

will update this when it gets closer to my surgery. have put the latest news in primary breast cancer section so will leave this thread alone for a while.
Diagnosed stage 3 aggressive BC July 2011 at 27.
Lobular tumour in left breast. ER+ PR+ HER2 - Surgery L mastectomy august 2011
4xAC chemo and 4xtaxorete chemo. 25 sessions of radiation at RAH.
DCIS tumour and Right masectomy with tissue expander placement October 2014
LD flap recon June 2015

melp
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby melp » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:33 pm

hi everyone!

The latest update is that i am getting my MRI done by the end of this month so I should know the results by middle of october. Ive told my surgeon i want a right prophylatic masectomy and he has agreed to do it with the double lat dorsi reconstruction. Im hoping if the mri comes up clear we will finally schedule my operation and then i will finally have a date to look forward to!!!!!!

Melissa
LD flap recon June 2015

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:02 am

Chris

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:51 pm

God luck with your scans and appointments melp. Hoping its all smooth sailing and your recon is not too far away :hugs:

melp
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby melp » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:58 pm

hi all. seems i may not be having an mri at this stage. called up to enquire about a gyno appointment and the lady said "are you aware you are having a mammogram on the same day as your gyno appointment." i said "no". apparently they have made it so i have the mammogram early in the morning and then get the results from that after and then in the same afternoon have my usual pelvic ultrasound scan...have a separate time a week later to get the ultrasound results.

I'm thinking my surgeon has changed his mind about the mri which he only suggested after i told him i wanted the prophylactic mastectomy on the right side. have appointment at recon clinic in a few weeks yay! it is the day after my two year diagnosis anniversary so that will take some of the emotion of the day away im hoping....
LD flap recon June 2015

melp
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby melp » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:15 pm

Went to see my surgeon today and it went well. What he said was not what id hoped but when i told him i wanted the other one off my he said he doesnt personally recommend it but its my choice and he will go with it. i need to have an mri on the right side but he has organised for me to go to the reconstruction clinic at the rah. i wasnt aware they had one but they will have more of an idea of the timeline of when i can have the op.

So i guess its good news. going to see him for results of mri in sept so the mri would be late august im tipping. not sure if i can get appointment at the recon clinic before the scan or not. So the wheels are in motion but it all hinges on what the doctors think at the clinic. they will have my notes so hopefully they can give a clear picture.
LD flap recon June 2015

melp
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby melp » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Wohoo next thursday I will be seeing my surgeon!!! excited!!! not sure if the waiting time could be reduced because of the cowdens or if i would still start at the bottom of the recon list.
LD flap recon June 2015

pamela47
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby pamela47 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi Kiwi, Sorry it has taken me so long to answer......have had a lot going on.

I decided on LatDorsi because I didn't want to have the major surgery on my stomach, although believe me I had enough there at the time.

I have to say I wondered often why? It was so hard to sleep - had to lay on my back, but of course I also had trouble there, but it was the best of a bad lot. I am so happy with it now, but it was very hard to recover.

Cheers, Pam
2005 DCIS on RHS - Lumpectomy and Radiotherapy.
In December 2006 another incident of Cancer on LHS - So had a Bilateral
Mastectomy. 13/8/2009 Had a Bilateral Latissimus Dorsi reconstruction.
December 2009 Massive infection in LHS. - out of hospital after 7 days - all's well since then.

melp
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby melp » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:03 am

LD flap recon June 2015

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Melp,
I've had bilateral masts and construction because of cancer one side and very high risk on the other side (LCIS) and never looked back, no regrets, knew my decision was the right one. I hope you can do the same. Good luck, please continue to update us. :hugs:
Janette

melp
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby melp » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:25 pm

hi all

well im seeing my surgeon in less than a month to talk about recon more!!! decided im going to have the right breast prophylaticly removed because of the cowdens syndrome. i dont want to leave any chance the cancer could return. have been told its easier to do double recon than have to match one side to the natural breast.
LD flap recon June 2015

melp
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby melp » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:19 pm

LD flap recon June 2015

MagicKiwi
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby MagicKiwi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Mel I hope your session goes/went well today. :wave:

Wow Pam - both sides at the same time. You are amazing. I couldn't sleep on the side for maybe six weeks? Can I ask what made you choose a lat dorsi?

melp
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby melp » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 pm

LD flap recon June 2015

pamela47
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby pamela47 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi Mel,

I had bilateral lat dorsi 3 years ago. I am not sure if you are the same or just one side. My problem was I could not sleep comfortably as my back was sore and so was either side. I did get some relief by using a soft pillow under my armpits. It took a couple of weeks to settle. I Also had 2 drains in for about 10 days. I was in hospital for 5 days.

I was a little weak for sometime, had quite a lot of help at home thank goodness for those two weeks, but after that I was able to do little jobs around the house...just taking it easy. Driving after 6 weeks.

I won't lie....it is a very difficult operation, but once you turn the corner you won't look back. I am so happy with the result,

If you would like to ask me any questions, I would be only too happy to answer them.

:hugs: Pam
2005 DCIS on RHS - Lumpectomy and Radiotherapy.
In December 2006 another incident of Cancer on LHS - So had a Bilateral
Mastectomy. 13/8/2009 Had a Bilateral Latissimus Dorsi reconstruction.
December 2009 Massive infection in LHS. - out of hospital after 7 days - all's well since then.

Return to “Reconstruction”