my reconstruction journey

MagicKiwi
Your Maj
Your Maj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: my reconstruction journey

Postby MagicKiwi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Mel I don't mean to contribute to your feelings so I'd like to give you a big hug and I'm sending my considerable strength and positivity to you to hang in there. :hugs:

I agree with Janette - none of us are experts on the emotional side but there are people out there who are. Give them a go and the opportunity to help you through.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Mel,
I know I wanted to get my reconstruction completed and done with. I think your feelings are pretty normal.

How you deal with this I'm not sure. Some councilling might be helpful. You are going through and have been through so much and you are fairly young. I also wonder if speaking to the Cancer Council help line might be helpful?
:hugs:
Janette

melp
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby melp » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:59 pm

thanks magickiwi! sounds like you are going well congrats!

at the moment im feeling jealousy when hearing about other ladies talking about having their recons shortly or in the short term future and i wont get put on the list until april!!! i could write a book about waiting seriously.... probably be end of 2014 before i get near the top of the list.

I know i need to get this genetic testing sorted out and make sure my thyriod is ok but i feel like the emotional healing is tied up so closely with my physical self which im still not happy with.

any ideas on how to deal with this?? is this feeling normal??
Diagnosed stage 3 aggressive BC July 2011 at 27.
Lobular tumour in left breast. ER+ PR+ HER2 - Surgery L mastectomy august 2011
4xAC chemo and 4xtaxorete chemo. 25 sessions of radiation at RAH.
DCIS tumour and Right masectomy with tissue expander placement October 2014
LD flap recon June 2015

MagicKiwi
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby MagicKiwi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Lovely of you Janette, thank you.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi and welcome MagicKiwi, lovely to see you post.

I hope your results are excellent. :hugs:
Janette

MagicKiwi
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby MagicKiwi » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:11 pm

I had a lat dorsi 12 weeks ago and am recovering well, although it is slow. I had it straight after my mastectomy - just to look at it with the expander in, the result is already amazing. I have my exchange surgery in five weeks. It's up to you but I'd leave as much time between the two operations as the plastic surgeon will let it, to enable the back to heal. But I think this is going to be very very worth it.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:27 am

A few people on the forum have had that type of recon. I had Free Tram Flap so I can't comment but if all goes smoothly the recovery time will be well worth it. I love not having to worry about a prosthesis any more and can go bra free on occasions. :)

melp
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby melp » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:34 pm

LD flap recon June 2015

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:19 pm

Having a bit of wait time is a good opportunity to think things through and feel comfortable with the plans made. :hugs:

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:10 pm

Melp,
It's good to have plans in motion. Waiting lists are long but it's surprising how quickly your turn seems to come around. Best of luck with your testing etc. :hugs:
Janette

melp
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

my reconstruction journey

Postby melp » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Went to see my surgeon the other day. he is very pleased with how my scars are healing. we did talk about reconstruction and he suggested the lat dorsi method would be the best for me. he showed some pictures and they looked really good!

he said we wouldnt talk about recon any more until the genetic testing results are back. seeing him april next year so hope things will move along then. he said it will be a 12 month wait from the time I get put on the list til i will have the op. So unless someone pulls out before 2014 will be my year!!!
LD flap recon June 2015

Return to “Reconstruction”