New Type of Breast Expanders being trialed in Perth

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
code
Your Maj
Your Maj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Type of Breast Expanders being trialed in Perth

Postby code » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:20 am

Have an expander in at the moment & had 2 refills so far during the 1st 2 lots of chemo. The balance of refills are being delayed due to risk of infection whilst on last stretch of chemo. So sounds like it would have been a great idea on that side of things for me, as I would like all the procedures finished as soon as possible & travelling time is an issue for me also. No extra needles would be great and having to wait for doctors appointments is turning out to be a whole day experience, so great on that front too!
Bit apprehensive though. Would not have wished to be the guinea pig for this, as not too sure about a canister of carbon dioxide inserted??????

elysian
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby elysian » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi Molly - Just came across your post. I am looking at having reconstruction in Oct and when I saw my PS in Feb he mentioned about this being in use in Aus from this month.

If it's available for me I will definitely go this option as it would save me having to travel 5 hours round trip each time I require a fill up.
[color=#008000]

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:25 pm

I hadn't heard of this either Molly so thanks for posting about it.

It makes sense that a smaller amount of inflation more frequently would be more comfortable and certainly anything that cuts down on Drs visits would be most welcome.

If its available next year...thats exciting too. How often do you hear of new treatments/developments that sound wonderful only to read that they should be available in 10 years time!

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

Eirelass
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Eirelass » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Sounds fantastic - anything that reduces the time and discomfort I've read some of you have gone through.

I too wondered if you have a smarta*# partner, they might grab the remote and mess around with it!
Dx 28/3/12, EBC, Invasive DCIS; 4/5/12 Hookwire WLE & SNB, Grade 2, 16mm, 0/3 nodes, clear margins, ER+ PR+, HER2-; Rads July-Sept 2012. Tamoxifen. Writing my story www.girlinthepinkfreeruns.com

Cancer will not change you. It will amplify who you already were before you were diagnosed

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:05 pm

Chris

liv

Postby liv » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:37 pm

thanks molly :hugs:
wouldnt worry me doing this at home, just knowing how quick it would be ready for implants... :v_happy:

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:05 am

:pmsl: Marydean.
My DH was reading it and as you can imagine, a male's mind. He says something like, "you could just sit there pumping them up bigger and bigger." Then he adds something like, "phwoor". :wink: He is only joking of course. :pmsl:

Seriously though, I don't know if I would be comfortable and confident enough to do it at home. What if something DID go wrong? I suppose they will sort these things out as they are being trialed.
Chris

Marydean
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby Marydean » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:58 am

Wow, what an amazing development!

But I couldn't help thinking... You wouldn't want any accidental radio frequency interference. Imagine just sitting on the couch one day and the neighbour pulls into their driveway and pushes the button on their automatic garage door.... Whoosh EXPANSION :pmsl:
Dancing through life, healing every cell in my body.

winterlong
Superstar
Superstar

Postby winterlong » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:45 am

this sounds excellent Molly!

liv, can thoroughly recommend expanders, and this improvement would be even less trouble. :)

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby molly dooker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:00 am

Liv, have you got the West Australian from yesterday? The article is in the Health and Medicine lift out. Page 2. There is a picture of the plastic surgeon and a young woman who had a prophelactic mastectomy and recon with these expanders.
Good luck with your decision. I hope it all works out for you. If you are looking for an excellent plastic surgeon, this guy is top notch. I can private message you his name and location if you want. :)
Chris

liv

Postby liv » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:55 am

thanks molly missed this one...wow how great is that and its covered by insurance...and its in perth.
if all goes ok im definitely having reconstruction and as we all know its not recommended to have implants after rads, well i still think i would take the risk and go the implants and if it didnt work would take them out and try another alternative...
:) this snippet of info has made me even more determined to go the implants :D

molly dooker
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

New Type of Breast Expanders being trialed in Perth

Postby molly dooker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:27 pm

I have just read an article in The West Australian about a new type of patient controlled expander being trialled in Perth.
I don't know if I can mention the plastic surgeon's name, so I will just call him Mr. C. (he just happens to be the ps who I had for my reconstruction.)

Here is an excerpt from the article - it's quite long, so I will try and hone it down.

"The device is known as an AeroForm expander. About 60 percent of breast reconstructions, usually bilateral reconstructions, involve tissue expansion.
Mr. C said the new device offered patients, who may have had their breasts removed because of breast cancer or because they were at high risk of the disease, not only quicker results but also a lower chance of infection and increased comfort because they could inflate at home, at their own pace.
The new type of expander uses a remotely controlled canister of carbon dioxide to inflate the muscular pocket, readying it for a solid silicone prosthesis.
Traditionally, breast reconstruction involves placement of a saline tissue expander under the skin and pectoral muscle. This is then gradually expanded during weekly visits to the doctor, who injects saline via a magnetic port.
The expansion process can take about 56 days, after which the expander is removed and replaced with a permanent silicone prosthesis.
But in results presented to the recent annual meeting of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons in New Orleans, Mr. C demonstrated the AeroForm expander could cut the process of expansion down to 17 days.
Mr. C has completed two trials of the device involving 40 patients with 71 air expanders, known as PACE-1 and PACE-2 and is currently undertaking a third known as ASPIRE.
None of the patients involved in the trials so far has experienced major complications and all have completed their reconstructions.
Inside the tissue expander is a CO2 cylinder, similar to those used to inflate bike tyres, and a radio transmitter. Patients then use a hand controller to transmit signals to the device instructing it to open a micro-valve which can release a maximum of 10ml of CO2 three times a day.
Mr C. says, "the patient ends up with exactly the same result (as a saline expander) but your turnaround time is quicker, you get to do it at home. The fact that there is no need for injections means that the infection rate is much less than normal. Because we are not putting a needle into the device, then the infection rate is about one in 500, which is the same as the permanent prosthesis.
Patients can expand themselves up to 210ml a week but because they do it in 10ml increments every six to eight hours, it's much more comfortable. "
The device is likely to be approved for general use in Australia new year, with costs covered by insurance."
Chris

Return to “Reconstruction”