can I drive after a bilateral expander fill?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Blizz
Been there, done that
Been there, done that
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: can I drive after a bilateral expander fill?

Postby Blizz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks ladies!
I'll give them a call tomorrow.

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Yes..you don't have to wait too long to feel the effects. I'm sure you'll be ok..take a book and wait for a while afterwards but be sure to tell them if you do decide to drive that its a 2 hour drive. They will want to make sure that everything is fine as I'm sure it will be.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

SueM44
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby SueM44 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:33 am

I was always fine to drive afterwards but I did take my partner the first time as I was a little nervous.
The nurse always asked for me to wait 10 minutes after to make sure I was ok.
Maybe take someone with you the first time as you wont know how you will feel?
Good luck with it all
Sue :)
dx Jan 2010 7mm IDC Grade 2. ER+ PR+ HER- had WLE and SNB in Jan followed by 30 rads. Hysterectomy May 2010. Genetic testing revealed BRCA 2 September 2010
Bilateral Mastectomy & Immediate Reconstruction Nov 2011

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Blizz..

I had one very painful fill when my PS was away and I had a stand in...very painfull and no way I could have driven...he put in too much.

I'm sure you'll be ok esp, if you say you are going to drive they will be careful. You don't feel the full effect straight away. When I told my regular PS about how painful the over fill was she said that I could always wait in the waiting room afterwards and if there was any discomfort she could always take a little out.

Having said this I was always ok to drive afterwards except fot that one time which luckily DH came with me. Other than that I just felt a feeling of tightness. A bit uncomfortable sleeping but get some painkillers and it should be fine.

I can understand you not wanting DH to take time off work. Explain it all to your PS and as Janette says a phone call is a good idea. If they go slowly you should be fine.

jezza xx
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

liv

Postby liv » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:29 pm

blizz u can do anything u bloody well like :D
no only kidding janette is correct & wise, check first.

just like i did when had mastectomy, they said not to drive for at least 4 weeks, next day i drove :v_happy:

x

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Blizz,
I would have been quite capable of driving after most fills BUT mine were about 90 or 100mls only and the last 2 were painful for 12 hours or so. I caught a train so not sure how it would have affected my driving very far on those last 2 fills.

The others just caused a feeling of tightness for a short time. I think we all differ in the amount of the fill, and amount of discomfort, or lack of discomfort, but I would have probably driven home from the station each time.

I think it would be wise to phone and ask them, based on how big your fill will likely be.
Janette

Blizz
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

can I drive after a bilateral expander fill?

Postby Blizz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi Ladies, weird question but i forgot to ask when they called me - I have my follow up appointment and if all is well my first fill on the 9th.
The hospital is a 2ish hour drive away and I'd like to go by myself so DH can work.

For those of you who've had expanders: how sore are you after? Do you think it would be ok for me to drive back alone?

Return to “Reconstruction”