Maybe I'll skip recon?

liv
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Maybe I'll skip recon?

Postby liv » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:36 pm

blizz & skettie :hugs:

thinking of you both.

blizz how is it going with with your new breasts?

x

Blizz
Been there, done that
Been there, done that
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Blizz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Yay Skettie. :clap:
So pleased for you!

With every passing day I am feeling better about my recon and I hope you will too about yours
:heart:

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:28 pm

That sound much more encouraging, glad you got the second opinion. Best of luck with the surgery. :hugs:
Janette

liv

Postby liv » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Skettie
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Skettie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi Girls,

Sorry I did respond earlier but my phone died right at the very end of my very long response! My laptop is cactus :-(

2nd appointment was a completely different story. Absolutely lovely surgeon. She wouln't dream of doing a tram on me. Lat Dorsi with expanders on the radiated side and mastectomy with expanders on the 'good' side.
Hoping for 9th November. Just waiting on final confirmation that the breast surgeon is avail. Oh & need to scramble for the money like always but it will work out.
Very excited. So glad your feeling better Blizz :-)

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Yes Skettie, how did your appointment go?

Trude, Sue44 had implants and felt a bit like you I believe until she had the exchange done. the expanders caused a lot of tightness which was relieved when the implants were put in. It will get better :hugs:

liv

Postby liv » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:48 pm

nickykim
Enlightened one
Enlightened one

Postby nickykim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:56 pm

My reconstruction is DIEP - no problems with doing sit ups but get the worst muscle cramps in my stomach muscles when I do yoga! Embarrasing first time it happened cos I yelped. Good luck with your reconstruction decision.

Nicky Kim
dx 10/07 IDC 2.8mm 9/21 nodes, ER+ PR+, Her2-, tx mastectomy + ALND, 6 TAC, 25 rads, tamoxifen 2 year, Arimidex from April 2010, Zometa x 2 p.a. for 3 yrs, DIEP 12/08, mini LD flap to fix DIEP issues,

Yvonne
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Yvonne » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:05 pm

I can certainly do situps after my tram flap recon.
1999 Chemo, Radio, Mastectomy & Reconstruction. Oct 2008 Mets to lungs, liver, spine, adrenal glands, spleen. 6 cycles docetaxol. Now on Femara and Zometa. April 2009 - decided the liver mets weren't mets!! Changed from Femara to Tamoxifen after suspected progression. Feb 2012 now on Aromasin.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Blizz,
I can understand your feelings, I hope you feel better in a few weeks. :hugs:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi Blizz, just had to answer - isnt it sooo true that everyone around you is excited re reconstruction. It really upset me too cos its not like its a cosmetic procedure - its a choice we have to make to try and look and feel normal again. I am still coming to terms with dble mastect and the mediocre reconstruction I have. It will be better after more corrective surgery I'm told but in the meantime I have to look at it. Friends all say isnt it great to have been able to have immediate reconstruction but I have felt cheated and then a bit guilty for being negative. I know people are just trying to point out what they think is a positive in a bad situation but god I do miss my girls!!! Ruth
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Blizz
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby Blizz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Skettie :hugs:

maybe I shouldn't reply in my current frame of mind - remind me to revisit this in a few weeks!

Firstly - I'll inbox you the name of my surgeon in Canberra. I waited only 4.5 months!! (plus 1 month to get the appointment) and it could have been shorter than that if I had been able to accept the earlier date. He gives preference to younger women after BC. He offered me three options (TRAM, lat dorsi and expanders+implants). I would have needed implants still with TRAM and lat dorsi as I have the same 'problem' you have, not enough fat.
My choice was very deliberate for expanders and implants, as I really didn't want to put my body through such invasive surgery and lengthy recovery. Like you I am enjoying feeling fit and healthy and I really don't want to mess with that too much.

Today (a week post surgery) I am still wondering if I have done the right thing having recon.
I found the surgery as least as hard as my mastectomy - this is the first day I feel well-ish. It's going to take some time to recover and get movement back in my upper body. I also have mixed feeling about my new breasts. I know they are not finished yet and it's early days but I don't feel like they're mine.

Had i known this beforehand I might not have had the surgery. As it stands though, I will go forward with it, have the fills etc. But I am not overly excited about it... (yet?) Everyone around me is excited on my behalf and to me it feels like yet another surgery because of this #$%^& illness.

But again, I am not my normal self now, so maybe to pay to much attention to what I am saying!

How did you go with the other surgeon? Does she think you can have implants? It's good to have options.

Good luck with decision making :heart:

Kerrie
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby Kerrie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 am

Skettie, i had a bilateral TRAM and i can do situps... to a limited degree. I can now lift both legs up together whilst lying but that has taken 12months and it still is with some degree of difficulty.

I didn't have much fat on my stomach so my skin was pulled very tight... too tight i believe (even had a fanny lift :-? .., TMI i know.. in trying to pull skin from everywhere together) My scar is a bit higher too.
So the recovery because of this has been very hard.

Over 12 months now since my surgery and my stomach is still very tight... and i would say uncomfortable at times, but i think i am now just getting used to this as the new normal. I am back exercising and working now and i do love my new girls.

What about a lat dorsi... do you have any fat on your back. I have always wondered if i should have had that instead if a TRam.
It's a big decision isn't it. :hugs:
DX Oct 2009. 15mm tumour. Grade 2 Stage 2. 2/18 nodes pos. OES/PROG + HER -

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:35 am

Skettie, there is no rush in deciding. Wait until you speak to the next surgeon and see what she says. I too had no option but the DIEP or TRAM as I had radiation but I had a massive tummy luckily.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Skettie
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Skettie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm all for the implant Chris! Surgeon seemed disinterested in it though because I had radiation. I will check again tomorrow with my other surgeon and see what she says :-)

Return to “Reconstruction”