Maybe I'll skip recon?

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Re: Maybe I'll skip recon?

Postby schoolteacher » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:10 pm

I can do Pilates sit ups using the stretchy band, impossible without it.
it is huge surgery so don't be hard on yourself for taking time to decide. You can always put your name down and pull out later? Just to get you up the list in case? Would you consider implant? I might if I had my time over :hugs:

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 pm

I really value my tummy muscle and i wouldn't want anyone mucking around with it just in case. What about shoving in a quick implant? I think some of the women on this site could tell you about tightness!! Good luck
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

liv
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby liv » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:03 pm

skettie :hugs:

dont blame you at all for change of heart....yr prob just not ready at this time.
when i was first diagnosed and told would have mastectomy all i thought was reconstruction reconstruction..
now thats the last thing on my mind.
had implants put in january this year :D , taken out april this year :( then had mastectomy :D , happy to be breastless for now...
want to get over chemo mast and rads, with no complications... and am at peace with no boobie :D

skets go with your gut feeling, you can have reconstruction anytime. :heart:

x

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:50 pm

I know someone who went on the Public waiting list for recon (Tram) in Brisbane and Sydney and Brisbane came up first but that was 2 or 3 yrs ago.
Janette

Skettie
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Maybe I'll skip recon?

Postby Skettie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:16 pm

Can't believe after all the tantruming I did over my mastectomy that I'm considering skipping recon?!

Had my first appt. with a surgeon yesterday and apparently even though I'm carrying 13kg extra at the moment I don't have much fat in my tummy. Also because I haven't had kids my stomach skin isn't very stretchy so I'll end up a bit tighter than most after and recovery will be longer. My scar would also sit higher. He checked my thighs and apparently not enough there either.

Did you know that after a TRAM flap you can never do sit ups again?

Over the last two months I've started exercising again & I'm loving it. It's nice feeling normal again.
I really don't like the thought of having to recover from something so huge. The overall cosmetic result still doesn't excite me either. May as well just superglue my foob in place :(

I see another surgeon tomorrow, maybe it will be a different story after I speak to her.

Some tips for other QLD'ers though.. The wait time through our hospitals are 3-5 years (they have a program through the mater to 'fast track' youngins that cuts it down to 2). However, NSW is only 2 years & Melbourne ( at Peter Mac) is 1 year.
You don't have to live in the state you get your recon in. You can have your GP send a referral to any public hospital in Australia.
So a few flights down to Melbourne for appointments and the op is a gazillion dollars cheaper than paying to have it done privately if you don't have the cash.

x

Return to “Reconstruction”