Recovery after DIEP?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jennt28
Your Maj
Your Maj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Recovery after DIEP?

Postby Jennt28 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:15 pm

I am 2 weeks past a bilateral skin sparing mastectomy with free TRAM recon.

Spent 9 days in the hospital after surgery taking 12 hours. First few days were all about getting the pain meds right. The rest of the time was about monitoring the "flaps" and drain output. I came out of surgery with 2 drains out of the side of each breast and one on each side of my abdomen. The breast ones were all out by day 5 after surgery. The abdominal ones were pulled on day 10 and 11 by the community nurse after I was home.

The first week at home was a week of gradual improvements. Gone from very short walks down the block and back to going out for a cafe lunch with friends yesterday and round to a friends house for a BBQ last night.

Most pain has been from the abdomen and I am not yet able to walk completely upright, but not far off.

I am not allowed to drive for 4 weeks. Not allowed to lift or twist. My instructions say flat ground and minimal stairs for 6 weeks. I am still tiring easily and napping a lot.

My kids are older so between them and hubby they have been doing all the cooking, shopping etc. I am 47yrs and had tried to spend time on the treadmill and cross trainer before surgery to strengthen my body. Had also practiced getting up from bed and chairs etc without using my arms or stomach. Glad I did all that because it helped.

Jenn
Diag: 01/12/11, ER+ PR+ Her2+, 20mm, Grade 3, 1/1 node positive
Surgery: Lumpectomy in Dec 2011, CT/bone scan clear
Tx start 12/1/2012: 3xFEC, 12xTaxol, Herceptin till March 2013
Surgery: BMX with free TRAM in Sep 2012, 1/1 node negative
Me: 47, wife, mother, work full-time...

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:16 pm

At the other end of the spectrum to Chris I had pretty much a textbook case. I was never told that it might turn into a TRAM flap, only after I asked was I told that and nothing was mentioned about blood vessels lining up. I was told that the blood vessel needed to be viable and that my breast surgeon had kept that in mind when he did my original surgery as he knew I wanted a DIEP. Might be a good question to ask your plastic surgeon.

It's very difficult to say how long you will need help. I had six weeks off my office job. I probably could have gone back after four but I'm glad I had six. Having two young children could either make it worse or help you. I was allowed to just sit and do nothing if I wanted to although I did make myself walk a few times a day, not far but up and about. I think I could have pushed myself a little harder if I really needed to get back to work.

As far as driving goes I was told I could drive as soon as I wanted to so that wasn't a problem, however I wasn't getting a 2 yo in and out of their car seat, nor a 5 yo. I was in hospital for one week and once home I was on my own while my husband and son were at work. They did do most of the cooking and cleaning but I could have done a lot more of the cooking almost straight away. The tummy took a long time to not hurt when I coughed or moved suddenly but it didn't really stop me from getting my own cup of coffee etc. I think the most difficult thing would be catering to your children's needs and you would know better than us how independent they are. Maybe just have your husband home for the first week home and see how it goes?

Best of luck to you Lou, I hope all goes well and you are happy with the results. It is a nerve wracking yet exciting time.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi Lou
Will it definitely be a DIEP? I was told that depended on how blood vessels (perforators?) lined up. If not inline as mine weren't, it means a tram flap, which is very similar.
It will depend a bit on complications. I would say you would need help for AT LEAST a month. It's huge surgery. I had big problems and spent 3 weeks in hospital :( most don't go that way
Last edited by schoolteacher on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*~Lou~*
Your Maj
Your Maj

Recovery after DIEP?

Postby *~Lou~* » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi ladies,

I'm booked to have DIEP flap breast reconstruction in November. We have 2 children aged 5 and 2 yrs.

What can you tell me about recovery, and how much help I'll need with children/house post-op, and how much time should hubby take off work?

Surgeon says I should be able to go back to work after a month (desk job) and no lifting for 6 wks.

Many thanks,
Lou :)
Age 39, children 4yrs & 7 yrs
Aug 2011 - Dx locally advanced BC including lymph nodes. DONE - chemo (4 x FEC & 4 x Taxetere), total mastectomy & aux clearance, 25 x rads, DIEP flap reconstruction, 2 yrs Zoladex. STILL GOING - Tamoxifen.

Return to “Reconstruction”