Appointment with plastic surgeon tomorrow

Kazzie61
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Appointment with plastic surgeon tomorrow

Postby Kazzie61 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Oh Cheryl, what a day that must have been for you - very frustrating I'm sure!! I did have a laugh when I read about your husband going to get some lunch :)
I guess all the waiting is part & parcel of the public health system. Are you comfortable with having to wait so long for the surgery?? I had a wait of 10 weeks but that was due to having chemo. Are you able to email the ps's office with the questions you didn't get to ask?
Hopefully it won't be much longer now til you get a date, then you will feel like you're getting there. Fingers crossed you get your date this week :) And I'm sure you'll be in good hands.
Karen
Dx 5/10/10, Stage 1, Grade 3, Triple Negative.
Lumpectomy, Node Negative, 6 x TC Chemo, BMX with immediate DIEP 20/05/11
Dx stage 4, bone mets 20/05/12, liver mets 07/02/13
Radiation June 2012
Monthly Xgeva June 2012
Chemo...Paclitaxel/Gemzar December 2012
Chemo...Xeloda Feb 2013

Cheryl H
Your Maj
Your Maj
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Cheryl H » Tue May 10, 2011 12:06 am

Saw the PS again this morning, so glad my appointment last week went well because if I hadn't already met him I would have been completely put off today. My appt was at 11am and when I got there, the waiting room was packed (I actually sat on the floor for a little while, and the lovely volunteer served me a cup of tea down there!). Waited 2 1/2 hours, and spent a total of 10 minutes in the consultation. Most of that time was with his registrar, and he just popped in for a couple of minutes to answer any questions I had. He seemed in such a rush that I didn't ask a couple of questions I wanted to, because I thought at the time they were too trivial (kicking myself now). My husband came with me but wouldn't you know it, after waiting all that time he really had to go and get something to eat, and that was the very moment they called my name (doh!). Well the good news is he was happy with my CT scan, still thinks one side might have to be a TRAM flap instead of a DIEP but won't know for sure until he 'gets in there and has a look'. So now I am officially on the 'waiting list' and should get a date this week. Here's hoping it's not too long, I've been told it could be up to 3 months but he seemed to think it would be less than that. :xfingers:
:heart: Cheryl.

Kazzie61
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Kazzie61 » Sat May 07, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi Cheryl
Yes, that sounds good, would be nice to put a face to the name!
I'm doing the 4 km also with family.
Could be a bit drama with parking but we are planning to leave fairly early to try get there by 8.30 - we are renowned for minor dramas (always numerous!!) so no matter how early we leave there's a good chance we'll be running late :)
I have sent you my number by pm.
Look forward to meeting you :)
Karen
Radiation June 2012
Monthly Xgeva June 2012
Chemo...Xeloda Feb 2013

Cheryl H
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Cheryl H » Sat May 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi Karen,
Yes I am doing the 4km walk with some of my family and a couple of friends. I've never done it before. Last year I broke my ankle and sometimes it gets a bit sore still, but hopefully it'll be ok. We have to get down there early to register my kids because they missed the deadline on-line. If you get there early, maybe we could meet up beforehand if you like, just to say hi :wave: in person. If not no worries, but I will PM you my mobile number just in case.
Cheers,
Cheryl.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Sat May 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Absolutely safe from anyone. :hugs:
Janette

chrismelb
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby chrismelb » Sat May 07, 2011 11:41 am

So jetj and admin2, are our PMs safe from google?
Dx 9/03 EBC
5/12 ABC bones-Herceptin,Tamox&Zometa
8/12 Liver mets-Abraxane,Herceptin&Zometa
6/13 Xeloda/Tykerb Xgeva
11/14 TDM1 Xgeva
1/15 Rads to tumour in head
2/16 Whole brain rads lepto. mets, continue TDM1
8/16. Navelbine, Herceptin
1/17 Neratanib Xeloda & Herceptin.

Kazzie61
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Kazzie61 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:19 am

Cheryl
I was given my surgery date sometime in March so I had a wait of about 10 weeks which at the time seemed forever but has actually gone quite fast. My original date was the 25th & only this Monday just gone the plastic surgeons office called & said they wanted to put it forward to the 20th - only 5 days but put me into a panic none the less!! So here I am less than 2 weeks away & nervous as hell!! I have some very mild sleepers that I was given during chemo but try not to take them too often. So can't wait till it's over & done with & really looking forward to life that doesn't revolve round cancer treatment.
Hopefully you will have your surgery date very soon & your planning can begin :)
Yes, I am doing the mothers day walk on Sunday!! I'm guessing you are too???
Karen
Radiation June 2012
Monthly Xgeva June 2012
Chemo...Xeloda Feb 2013

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri May 06, 2011 11:11 pm

No apologies needed you weren't to know. :hugs:
Janette

Cheryl H
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Cheryl H » Fri May 06, 2011 11:05 pm

Oh PS I only just saw your PM, but I think I answered all your questions here! Let me know if I didn't. :biggrin:

Cheryl H
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Cheryl H » Fri May 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Me too Karen, I have only been on here a few weeks myself, when I found out about my 'recurrence' I decided I needed some extra support this time. Last time I really just treated the whole thing as an inconvenience, and was completely sure it would all be over and done with and I would never have to worry about it again. Little did I know! Hey I am in Kingsley, we are nearly neighbours! How long ago was your surgery scheduled? The waiting is definitely the hardest, although I did appreciate having a bit of time to get my head around it and decide exactly what I wanted to do. I would be happy right now if I at least had a date, so I could start planning my life a bit, and organise things at work etc. Do you have some medication to help you sleep? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to take something for the few weeks you now have before your surgery. Thankfully I didn't need to have chemo, but can still appreciate you're glad it's over! Soon your surgery will be over and I'm sure you will have lovely new boobies too. I don't suppose you're walking in the Mother's Day Classic on Sunday?
:heart: Cheryl.

Kazzie61
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Kazzie61 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Sorry cheryl - seems we did the wrong thing naming doctors!
I was unaware this was the case & apologize as I was the one that started it - oops!
Karen :)
Radiation June 2012
Monthly Xgeva June 2012
Chemo...Xeloda Feb 2013

adminabcg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adminabcg » Fri May 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Although it isn't a rule of the forum, it is preferred that members don't mention their Doctors names publicly on the forum.

The search engines make the remarks public when googling a Dr and while most are very positive we don't want to be seen as making recommendations either.

I hope you understand and you are most welcome to send private messages of your experience.
admin

chickitrean
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby chickitrean » Fri May 06, 2011 11:32 am

Good luck with it all Cheryl, hope it's all over & done with nice and quickly for you....the waiting must be a bummer!
Trina x

Kazzie61
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Kazzie61 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:26 am

Cheryl, so sorry to hear "it's back"! Something we all fear :(
I was diagnosed last October (my daughters 25th birthday) also at the breast clinic at Charlies. There was one lump found on the mammogram & then another when the biopsy was done. I then had a Lumpectomy & they found 6 masses at the time, all in the left breast. Pathogy results showed there was also DCIS & it had gone to the blood vessels & it was triple negative, grade 3, so I was told I need immediate chemo followed by mastectomy. So chemo is over - thank goodness coz I hated every minute of it & would dread having to do it again! & in the meantime I have decided on the bilateral - a decision I never thought I would make.
So here I am counting down the days! The original date for surgery was 25th May but I got a call on Tuesday to say they were putting it forward to the 20th - good news really coz as scared as I am I really can't wait to get it over with (something I'm sure you can relate to!). I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping & my mind keeps thinking of things going wrong :( So scared of one of the flaps failing.
I have heard of your PS & have heard very good reports :D As you say the worst thing about the public system is the waiting. And the worst thing about the the private system is the cost! It's costing us quite a bit but how do you put a price on it??
What part of Perth do you live in? I'm in Iluka?
Please keep me posted - it's comforting to talk to someone else in the same boat :D
Karen
Radiation June 2012
Monthly Xgeva June 2012
Chemo...Xeloda Feb 2013

Cheryl H
Your Maj
Your Maj

Postby Cheryl H » Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 am

Hi Kazzie,
It looks like we have some things in common, both WA girls, same age, both having bilateral mast and reconstruction! I am having my surgery at Charlie Gardiner's. I was originally diagnosed at the breast clinic there 3 years ago after being referred by Breastscreen WA. I had a lumpectomy and rads then, and have been going there annually for mammograms. The last one in March showed that it's come back. They asked me this time if I wanted to go private or continue being treated there, and I really felt why would I want to go anywhere else, when the care I got there was so fantastic. So I am going through the public system, and still really happy with that decision except that it seems to be taking forever to get a date for surgery! So my breast surgeon is Dr. Yeo (I haven't actually met him yet, only his registrars but had the same experience last time with no problems) and my PS is Mr. Lip Teh, who I met last Monday. Even though I've been told it's not urgent because it's been picked up so early, the waiting is hard, you can't help worrying if things might change in the meantime. Are you having treatment as well as the surgery? Happy to answer any other questions you have.
Cheers,
Cheryl.

Return to “Reconstruction”