LIVING WELL WITH SECONDARY BREAST CANCER - SYDNEY, NSW

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Janette
Forum Legend

Re: LIVING WELL WITH SECONDARY BREAST CANCER - SYDNEY, NSW

Postby Janette » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks Quilla,
That is wonderful information, I'm really glad you found it worth attending.

I can't say I'm surprised about the Mets BC Nurses being sparse unfortunately, this area has one Palliative care nurse.

I dearly hope that ABC gets a better deal all around. :hugs:
Janette

Quilla
Hot-shot
Hot-shot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Quilla » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Hi, just thought I would make an attempt to summarise today.

Firstly have to say that the venue was great, today was record breaking temperature wise but can honestly say I didn't feel it at all in the auditorium the air-conditioning worked beautifully.

Having the disability pass where I parked was in the shade of the building so even though the car was hot when I went to leave it wasn't sun-baked so the air-con kicked in very quickly. Both the trip there and home was a breeze. They provided a boxed lunch which everyone (including me) seemed to enjoy.

It was lovely before the event and during lunch to chat to other secondary ladies. For the first time actually got to talk to people who like me never had EBC but were diagnosed from the beginning with secondaries. In chatting to people the one thing that kept coming up was support of other BC ladies. I mentioned the forum quite a few times yet not one of the ladies I spoke to knew of or had even thought to search for something like it.

Nuts and Bolts:

Speakers:

Professor Fran Boyle: I found her extremely easy to listen to and she was really informative. I don't know that I personally discovered anything new but it was nice to have it all laid out and explained clearly. Don't ask me for details of what she said I am hopeless at retaining that sort of thing.

Raelene Boyle: I am generally not a fan of public BC people, mainly because the media make it sound like they get it, have treatment, get over it and life goes on as normal. In Raelene's case we know she has been a big supporter of BCNA for many years and it was lovely to listen to her speak frankly about how even though she wasn't in the same boat as us (i.e. secondary BC) since her BC she has had lots of other medical problems and yes she has carried with life but it hasn't been a walk in the park. Found her to be very open and honest.

Jane Turner – what a down to earth person she was, especially for a psychiatrist. If I had to see one she would be my pick. What she said made complete sense and was caring without being condescending.

Maxine Morand – she spoke in between others and asked and answered a few questions, also found her to be down to earth and an interesting speaker.

Two Metastatic Breast Care Nurses (whose names escape me for the present): Was interesting to listen to what they have achieved but it is such a limited service at the moment that unless you happen to be at their hospital it really isn't relevant.

I wish I was a better writer and know I am short on real details but it was lovely to be at something where secondary BC and issues with it were the focus and not just an add on or not mentioned at all.

It was definitely worth attending.

Quilla
Hot-shot
Hot-shot

Postby Quilla » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Already registered so will definitely be there. Looking forward to it.

BCNA
Your Maj
Your Maj

LIVING WELL WITH SECONDARY BREAST CANCER - SYDNEY, NSW

Postby BCNA » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Attachments
BCNA Logo.jpg

Return to “NSW”