Good Things People have Said and Done!

Talk about anything here.
yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:08 am

Chris, that is inspirational!! Does very quickly change what one thinks is important in life doesn't it.

Makes my BC trip seems like a speed bump or hurdle compared to that (S#$% 3 years of chemo).

Love & hugs to your daughters friend and her daughter!!!

chris
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby chris » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:21 am

This is comming from far left, you all might like to give a a tought to this.
My daughters friend has a 2 year old girl who has leucemia & is going through 3 years of chemotherapy, YES 3 Years. Sofie calls her chemo grumpy medicine & when she lost her hair she said it (the hair) had gone on a holiday. How positive is that? When she saw me she got the giggles when I had no hair, and wanted to know where my hair went for holidays. How funny is that? If a little 2 year old & her very strong Mum can do chemo without or little complaint so can adults. By the way the Mum is a music therapist who was working with prem babies at the Royal Womens & has had to stop because of her daughters constant treatment. The little girl & her Mum are an inspiration to me & when I feel a bit low I turn my thoughts to them. Thoughtless sports men & commercial TV beat ups deserve no space in my life. Chris

karin
Superstar
Superstar

Postby karin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:47 pm

A mother of one of my son's friends who I had'nt seen for a while turned up on my doorstep with
a bunch of flowers, she had heard I was sick through a friend of a friend and so on.
She has offered her help to me any way she can without trying to be too intruding,
she'll drop past every now and then with a bunch of new magazines for me to read and to
let me know she's there whenever I need some help.
sweet hey!!!!!

karin p.s. ( this is a positive subject ) :angel:

Kj
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Kj » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:38 pm

I recieved another big box of fresh pasta todays and the mums from school have invited my mum to coffee morning i tease her that she is stealing my friends but i think its is so wonderful that they are so caring and involve her seeing as all her friends apart from me are in Adelaide people are really wonderful... I'm sure there will come a time when I can help someone as much as they have helped me maybe I already have .. xxx
I hope u r all well and happy :hugs:
kim
Real friends are the ones who love you for being you!!!! (that is soooo important)
from Kim xxxx

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:21 pm

Well Janine I guess I did post the question so I'd better think back.

The 1st knock on the door after ppl. found out was from a friend who said she didn't know what to do when she heard about my dx so she just turned the oven on and started cooking.....home made biscuits for the kids lunches.

Over the next few days every caller brought food, casseroles.quiches,pies, cakes...things that could be frozen. I was overwhelmed. I think it is one of the best things you can do for a mother who is sick. Family life goes on and kids have to eat.Some of these ppl I hardly knew. I think thats what amazed me.

I have quite a few "I can't believe you said that" stories too but haven't we all!

Jezza

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:37 pm

Hi Ally, Yes thats tragic, once your over that 1st chemo week, you pop your wig on, bit of lippy, and if you have lashes a bit of mascara, feel great them Whamo!! "oh how are you? your looking tired are you resting enough"

A mum from School (who's mother died from BC 3 years ago but does have any Auntie who's a 20 year survivor) would leave flowers on my doorstep every few weeks with a note "to brighten up your day", then I would see her at school and she would just walk past and put her had on my shoulder! It meant so much as unlike alot of people that just give you the pitty looks, as she knew what I was going through.

Nav

outbackgirl
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby outbackgirl » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:28 pm

I don't like those sad. sympathetic faces some people put on when they see you. Or someone said "how ARE you..your'e looking tired".
Made me feel bad because I was feeling good and thought I looked pretty damn good that day too! Oh well I know they are being kind and don't know what to say.
Better if they just drop off presents and don't say anything!!!
lol

Ally

Kj
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Kj » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:53 pm

I know the hug you mean :hugs: i call it a real hug it doesnt come with a pat on the back lol .
but it really helps I've been fortunate to get a few of those.
:hugs:
im still trying to convince some of my friends that they can ring me and eail me and pop over anytime they have good intentions but i dont want to be left alone and if i did id tell em .. but they still dont get i I think they find it hard dont know wat to say or do.
i have a song it came out when i was diagnosd and it fit perfectly there is a line
"nothing you can say nothing you can do when it comes to the truth so keep holding on cause we gonna make it through"
its by avril lagvine called holding on have you heard it?
do you guys have a song another one is
I am not my hair by india arie and pink its a song about bc pretty cool too
anyway ive had my dribble and im off to bed
xxxxxxx
Real friends are the ones who love you for being you!!!! (that is soooo important)

from Kim xxxx

Janine
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby Janine » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:09 pm

Kim, you'll end up having to buy the pub!

One of the nicest things was when a girlfriend took me away for a few days when I needed some space. She took me to a beautiful beach at Airey's Inlet and gave me time to get my head around things. And we had some fun too!

And this is not practical help but there is a special kind of hug that some people can give just when you need it. No words, no pity, just transferring a little of their strength to you. I don't know if you know what I mean but boy, when you get one, it really helps.

It's lovely to hear people's stories here. Thanks jezza! :clap: - What about you?
Janine
1st dx ILC st 3, er+, pr+, her2-, T3, N1 1998. Bone mets 2004. Liver mets 2008. Leptomeningial mets 2009.

Kj
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Kj » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:17 pm

hi girls
this is a great idea it is wonderful how so many people can be so wonderful the mums at my sons school have been fantastic when i came out of hospital they brought me a big box of fresh pasta and sauces and lasagne and filled my freezer one of the mums who ive become friends with owns a pasta shop in prahan I didnt know this till i recieved all this amazing food and i am expecting another delivery to fill my freezer this week its so nice and it really helps.
My mum has also been a great support she took indefinete leave from her work they wouldnt let her resign which is so wonderful. My parents live in adelaide so mum is over here looking after me and my dad (who had a dbl lung transplant 3 yrs ago) is in adel working and looking after himself hes a tough bother.. my brother and SIL and their baby girl live 3 streets away from him so we know he is ok.

I really dont know how id do it if it wasnt for her my hubby is wonderful but he has a very full on job. That he loves too . and I want him to save as much annual leave for when im better .
mum has given up so much she takes the kids to school so i can sleep I havent done a load of washing in weeks or cooked or cleaned its great.
I constently get offers from friends to have my kids anytime there are some amazingly caring people out there.
I dont think I'll ever be able to repay them Maybe take them out for a drink when im well bars on me babe!!!! :cheers: :drunktogether:

kim
ps welcome outbackgirl
:hugs:

from Kim xxxx

sedgymum
Founding Member
Founding Member

Postby sedgymum » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:41 pm

Jezza,

This is an excellent idea. Too often we focus on the negative and not the positive.

I have received a tremendous amount of support from mostly people I don't know over the past 3 and a half years, especially in the past two months where I wore my heart on my sleeve.

I have a fantastic neighbor who regularly comes over, brings in the washing and then irons it without being asked. I also have a gorgeous friend who EVERY week comes and cleans my whole house and never complains. I have a couple of great friends who look after my mental health by taking me for coffee or lunch when I least expect it. My extended family have been somewhat supportive but my husband and children have been fabulous. When things got too hard....they just loved and comforted me.

I feel very lucky to have this support although I wish I didn't need it.

Peace and long life,
Kelly
Some day I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me!

outbackgirl
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby outbackgirl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:23 pm

On further reading there is so much support on this site too! And a lot of good things being said.Looking forward to reading all this helpful info. when I have a couple of hours to spare.

Just new here

ally

outbackgirl
wasn't born yesterday
wasn't born yesterday

Postby outbackgirl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:08 pm

Good things people have said? You just have to look at the American boards to see how supporting and caring some people have been. I find it especially encouraging to read comments from long term survivors.

Ally

yowyow
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby yowyow » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:18 pm

Hi Jezza, great idea!!! After all my whingeing, in the last few days I guess I forgot about the
great, unconditional caring friends you can make through all this.

Sorry girls, got some of the SIL stuff all off my chest .

My son started kinder 3 months before my dx last year. One of the mums whom I hardly knew
picked up my son one "crappy" 1st week after chemo' mornings to take him to kinder, she saw my
shopping list on the bench and took it, basically I didn't have a chance to say anything as she ran out the
door. 2 Hours later she returned with about $200 worth of groceries and a cooked chicken and salad for
that night.

She now has become one of my closest friends and I am starting to be able to return some favours with
babysitting etc.

Nav

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Good Things People have Said and Done!

Postby jezza » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:33 pm

O.K. We all have stories about people who have said TOTALLY the wrong thing when they find out we have breast cancer. Has anyone any stories about people who have said or done something which has actually helped or made you feel better?

Jezza

Return to “General Discussions”