Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction ?

Talk about anything here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Re: Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction ?

Postby schoolteacher » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:37 am

A few big decisions to make. Firstly, the type of recon you choose. I had a Tram Flap recon 3 years after mastectomy. Having single mastectomy meant that , being over 50, an implant would not have matched my other breast.
It was a huge surgery to have just one done. Talk to your plastic surgeon about which procedure would be best for you
Good luck

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jezza » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:33 pm

I think I was very lucky. I had the start of recon at the same time as my first mastectomy...an expander put in and 1 fill. Long story short, 6 months later I decided on a prophylactic mastectomy on my other breast and started the same procedure. I had implants (saline) put it when the breasts were at a size I wanted. 26 years later I still have the same implants with no problems. Huge learning curve for you and you are doing the right thing by researching. Good luck with your decision.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi Jo - I think you need to consider a few things here - I had dble mastectomy and immediate recon with implants. I decided on mastectomy because my age at dx was 60 and my mother had died of BC at 52 so because of family history I decided to get them off - so no radiation, no more mammograms and less to worry about going forward. I chose implants at the time for immediate recon after mastectomy - implants these days now pose a risk of breast Implant Illness and anaplastic large cell lymphoma - I have inflammatory illness and issues now so my textured implants are being removed soon. I think your age is a factor as to which way you go with mastectomy and recon - look into Diep procedure and ask if you might be a candidate for that - need sufficient tissue and fat for that to reconstruct 2 boobs. When you see plastic surgeon you can ask about this - its a big operation but the results Ive seen are great .

This is a big decision and one which needs careful consideration - if I was younger when diagnosed I would have still had mastectomy but not implants and had diep. Let us know how you go.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Jo99

Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction ?

Postby Jo99 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:07 am

Hi all, was hoping someone might be able to share their experience if they have had this done or had to make the decision one way or another. I've just been diagnosed with high grade DCIS and need to choose between lumpectomy or mastectomy. Surgeon believes I am good candidate for mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. Get it all done in one go ( so to speak) and can then avoid radiation. Yet to see plastic surgeon regarding which type of reconstruction would be offered.
Any information would greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Return to “General Discussions”