BRCA 2

Talk about anything here.
mmmsweetpeas
Wise one
Wise one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: BRCA 2

Postby mmmsweetpeas » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks Janette :)

I will keep you posted.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Yes I can understand how it consumes you, I thought of nothing but my recon for 2 years. A lot seems to be up to the surgeon you use and his waiting list and how he views the urgency of your surgery.

Please let us know how you go. BRCA genes are a cruel diagnosis in a lot of ways, but better to be forewarned and take action. :hugs:
Janette

mmmsweetpeas
Wise one
Wise one
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mmmsweetpeas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Yep it's a bit all consuming at the mo to be honest.

All good though. Thanks so much for your feedback :)

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:31 pm

Oh right...that figures. I guess most I've heard about is for emergencies and some cancer treatments that have to begin immediately. Crazy to think that if your lump had been malignant you wouldn't have had to wait !

I understand how you feel about not wanting to put it off. Hard to think about much else at the moment I guess.

Hugs

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

mmmsweetpeas
Wise one
Wise one

Postby mmmsweetpeas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:50 pm

Getting there slowly Jezza :)

As far as I'm aware even if you go as a private patient in a public hospital you still have to wait 6-12 months?
Because I've made up my mind to finally get it done I don't want to wait that long. After having my recent cancer scare this BRCA 2 is like a time bomb hanging over my head and I just want to get it done and get on with my life.
Anyway I'm sure I'll get there in the end - the whole process is a bloody minefield though :ouch:

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:28 pm

Sounds like you are getting somewhere sweetpeas! Depending on your recon there is also the cost of implants if that's the way you are thinking of going. I have heard of patients going private in public hospitals but not too sure how it all works. I know the public hospital gets more money that way (from your health fund as well as Medicare I think) but not sure how the surgeons fees are covered. More questions and googling for you!

Good luck with it all.

jezza
Dx Jan. 1992 9mm Grade 3 IDC node neg. LB mast. Prophylactic RB mast. 6 months later. No chemo. No rads. Saline implants. 22 years NED. (No Evidence of Disease)

mmmsweetpeas
Wise one
Wise one

Postby mmmsweetpeas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks Ruth!

I have just responded :)

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:05 pm

I sent you a private message yesterday but its still not read.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

mmmsweetpeas
Wise one
Wise one

Postby mmmsweetpeas » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks for your advice Jezza!

I've found a breast surgeon who will do the mastectomy with no gap :v_happy: and am still on the look out for a PS to do the actual reconstruction.

I have checked the Bupa website and have called some of the PS listed and they do do the "no gap" but only if you go public and go on a waiting list.

So I'm still searching! But at least the breast surgeon is willing to do the mastectomy with no gap so at least that's a big saving. :clap:

jezza
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby jezza » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:53 pm

Most Health Funds these days have some sort of no-gap policy setup with some surgeons (I think!) I would go into a Bupa office and ask questions. I know funds have agreements with hospitals, dentists etc etc. I go to a dentist affiliated with my fund that has no out of pocket costs for checkups and cleaning and 70% rebate on basic dental.

They may have a list...I don't know but I have found if you get the right person to chat to you will often find helpful info re cutting costs.

I was lucky with my mastectomies in that my surgeon and plastic surgeon operated on me for a very small gap fee. My surgeon asked me what my health cover was. I was seeing him at one(big) hospital and he recommended another smaller private hospital that he operated at as he said there would be hardly any out of pocket expense. This was a long time ago before agreements between funds and hospitals. (at least I didn't know of any!)

I have just been on the Bupa site (which I'm sure you have!) and you can search fees, gaps etc if you haven't already.

http://www.bupa.com.au/find-a-provider

As Judy said, there are often other bills that come trickling in unfortunately.

I am also in Melbourne.

Let us know how you get on. It will be of interest to others.

jezza

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi

I don't think we are supposed to name doctors on the forum but someone may send you a private message so make sure you keep your eye out for that. It wouldn't hurt to email a few surgeons and ask if they would be willing to do the surgery as a no gap, choosing a surgeon can often be like buying anything else and they can bring the price down sometimes. I can't help you as I am in Melbourne but I found a surgeon who was happy to do some surgery on me (non bc related) once I said that I was considering going through the public system. He didn't want that as the public system was so clogged anyway and he did it for me 'no gap.' Don't forget that just because the surgeon is willing to do it there might still be a fee from the anaesthetist (can never spell that!) I hope you find someone who will do it.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

mmmsweetpeas
Wise one
Wise one

Postby mmmsweetpeas » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi Ruth,

I am in the eastern suburbs.

My nearest hospital would be POW in Randwick, although I'm willing to travel to Westmead if needed.

Thanks!

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:23 pm

where are you in Sydney - which would be your closest public hospital?
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

mmmsweetpeas
Wise one
Wise one

Postby mmmsweetpeas » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Thank you new girl!

The new girl
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby The new girl » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:58 pm

:wave: hi sweetpeas,welcome to the forum,sorry I cannot help with your questions but wanted to wish you all the best.
Rosa

Return to “General Discussions”