Abdominal bulge post tram flap breast reconstruction.

Talk about anything here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Abdominal bulge post tram flap breast reconstruction.

Postby JudyB » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Sorry you have this problem Kerry but very glad that there is something they can do to help. Funny how they don't tell us that these things can happen, one would think that this long after the operation you could not expect more issues.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

Janette
Forum Legend

Postby Janette » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Kerrie,
I don't think any of us are keen on further surgery but it is a matter of cost and inconvenience vs the advantages of the surgery. I hope whatever you decide works out well. :hugs:
Janette

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:02 am

Another surgery is a daunting prospect Kerrie but I think you will feel so much better getting it fixed. Even with implants I have had 4 corrective procedures in the few years after the initial to get it right. The cost factor is an issue but I think this has to be considered a necessity of life. As you say it will only get worse with time.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Kerrie
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby Kerrie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:45 am

Went to see the PS yesterday.
He said the buldge definitely is not the desired outcome. After he examined me he feels the cause is not from the rectus muscle where they took pieces for the graft but due to the external oblique muscles that run into the rectus muscle becoming lax.
He can do a repair that would reinforce and tighten the muscles and that would reduce the bulge and strengthen my core.
About a 2hr procedure and 4 days in hospital.
Waiting for a quote on the cost and hoping the out of pocket expenses aren't to much but i think i will have it done.
Really not keen on more surgery but it is becoming more problematic as time goes on.
DX Oct 2009. 15mm tumour. Grade 2 Stage 2. 2/18 nodes pos. OES/PROG + HER -

schoolteacher
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby schoolteacher » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:31 pm

I haven't had any "bulging" following my tram flap. I do feel that if I gain a kg or two it rides above my scar line. I try to keep my weight down with exercise and a healthy diet, I occasionally get a sharp pulling sensation where the drains were so suspect scar tissue.
I will be interested to hear what the surgeon says. I hope it's not painful/too uncomfortable.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:16 pm

great that it isn't a hernia Kerrie but I will be interested to hear what the PS says next week - its possibly got to be something to do with the stomach muscle being removed during the flap harvest.
Dx IDC 2cm grade 3 ER/PR pos. DCIS grade 3, fam hist metastatic BC. Bi lat mastectomy, FEC x 4, surgical revision pending. AI x 5 yrs Femara

Kerrie
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Postby Kerrie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks Judy and Ruth
Judy its a bulge above my suture line and below my umbilicus all the way across my abdomen. I have had it for a few years now.
Just pretty unsightly and really restricts clothes that you can wear.
Seeing the PS on Wednesday.
Had an abdo ultrasound and the is no herniation so thats a big positive.
Have been researching quite a bit and they are doing abdo repairs post tram flaps in the US but no one here that i know of.

JudyB
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby JudyB » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:36 pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean by an abdominal bulge (yes I know a bulge in the abdomin) but I do know that since my recon I have put on a lot of weight and does look rather strange. No weight goes to the lower half of my torso, it all sits from not far below the belly button up. It's quite weird and maybe you have put on a bit of weight and it's just bulging around the middle?

I think talking to your plastic surgeon is a good idea.
DX Sep 09, LB mast with axillary diss. Grd 2 Ductal Carc. 50mm diam. Margins clear. 1/13 nodes. OR+ PR+, HER2- . FEC x 3, Taxotere x 3, RADS x 30, Tamoxifen, DIEP reconstruction April 2011, Femara 2013, Oophorectomy 2013.

ruth1
Forum Queen
Forum Queen

Postby ruth1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:33 am

cant give advice as haven't had this procedure but the Plastic Surgeon should fix it. Go to him first to see what the options are.

Kerrie
Been there, done that
Been there, done that

Abdominal bulge post tram flap breast reconstruction.

Postby Kerrie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:20 am

Hi all.
Wondering if anyone has experienced an abdominal bulge after their tram flap breast reconstruction. I had my surgery in July 2011 and have had this for quite some time but now feel like my abdominal wall is herniating :grr: Really uncomfortable and causing a lot of lower back pain and yes i know i should have a bone scan but can't face that at the moment.

I have had absolutely no core strength since this surgery and it has always caused a lot of issues but the bulging seems to be getting worse to the point where i am now wearing an abdominal support.

There are surgeons in the US that do extensive repairs of these bulges but i haven't heard of anyone here that does. I did see a local surgeon who said she didn't think it was a hernia but she really wasn't sure herself of the actual procedure i had and what it involved.
I have emailed my plastic surgeon who did the procedure and will go and get an opinion from him.

I just really hope it can be fixed. Got my nice boobs but ended up with an unsightly and very uncomfortable tummy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “General Discussions”